The NEW pyramid head

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

teosoleil
My Bestsellers Clerk

Re: The NEW pyramid head

Post by teosoleil »

^ I agree. It seems like a nice and more unique design since Homecoming's PH and Origins' Butcher, on the other hand. With scenes in the trailer we have a little but more look on how more...human the Hammer Man is (throwing Murphy, hitting the ground with a nun in the background is intriguing, creeping up on a child). Seems to me like he might be more of a character than original Pyramid Head was, which I'd be happy with.
Shacknasty
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Shacknasty »

PH himself is a result of mixing several horror conventions and aside from his helmet nothing about him is unique. I understand people like him but way, way too many people elevate him to this untouchable pedestal as if the majority of everything we've seen from him has nothing been done before.
Look for the ridiculous in everything and you will find it. - Jules Renard
wonder's boy
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by wonder's boy »

Yeah, he's overrated in the facets he probably shouldn't be. In the context of SH2's story, he is a near perfect creature and antagonist alongside Mary/Maria. His design fit the many unique needs of that game's theme and tone, but his presence became almost laughable in Homecoming. They really missed out on flourishing the whole "Boogeyman" idea, where a new and interesting creature could have replaced the dusty and almost functionless pyramid, which I neither feared nor found very interesting, even in that game's brutal and bloody atmosphere.

I felt that Red Pyramid worked with the movie, though, and hope that his lore continues to measure up in Revelation.

As far as Downpour goes - I don't think a Pyramid Head-esque presence is quite necessary. The Void entity and even the water itself seem to execute this role better than any monster could, providing potential for lore, fear, and originality.
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
KingCrimson
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by KingCrimson »

It's more the combination of qualities and their presentation in the context of SH2's story that's unique about Pyramid Head, not so much the physical appearance, as you say. I part ways with the developers and see him as less a punisher and more a guide for James, as described by nur_en_tier's awesome article at http://www.igotaletter.com/insight/role ... mid-thing/. That element makes him more interesting than just a badass who wants to stab things to make James feel guilty, and it's what separates PH from your average video game villain (or even your average horror movie villain). If we get a little more info about the motivation of this hammer person, he could be way more memorable than Bogeyman and scarier than Butcher.
Hydra666
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Hydra666 »

IMO SHH's PH was just there to look pretty and flashy. His presence in the movie was kinda pointless but he looked badass.

I know Vatra want to make something different from Downpour and get away from the old sh's clichés. This guy with the hammer, I'm sure he has a different meaning that PH.

Murphy committed a/some crime/s and he did some time inside (and I'm wondering if he was popular in the showers but that's not the point). The thing is... The hammer guy kinda looks like some king of judge. The way he knocks his hammer to the ground just like a judge. So implying this guy is some kind of judge... Maybe he will represent Murphy's crimes throughout the whole game. In the TGS trailer you could [hide]see him chuckle a kid [/hide]. Maybe he was representing one of Murphy's crimes.

The wheelchair guy also looks like an important key element. The fact he his crippled makes me think of a representation of someone Murphy could have hurt in his past.
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

Hydra666 wrote:IMO SHH's PH was just there to look pretty and flashy. His presence in the movie was kinda pointless but he looked badass.
Pyramid Head was in the movie as a punisher for the cult/whatever.
Hydra666
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Hydra666 »

Are you sure he was a punisher in the movie? He attacked Rose and Cybil even though they where innocent.
alone in the town
Historical Society Historian

Post by alone in the town »

Alessa didn't know they were innocent at that point.

After Alessa and Rose have their long, expository chat, Rose is safe.
Martee
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Martee »

Hydra666 wrote:Are you sure he was a punisher in the movie? He attacked Rose and Cybil even though they where innocent.
I always saw PH in the movie as a manifestation of Alessas rage against the world and everything in it (apart from Dahlia). Also what aitt says seems right.
My supply fell through...
MAvulture
Just Passing Through

Post by MAvulture »

clips wrote:The thing with with hammer head is that we've seen dozens of characters like him in the past...with the EXACT same getup. PH?...not so much if at all....the first time you saw PH it was a "wtf" moment...simple design true enough, but we never seen anything like him and he moved slowly intimidating and pursing you throughout the game.

Add to that, he was doing some crazy things with the monsters in general (something else not seen too often) and you have why he was such a unique creature....for the most part in any game involving monsters, you don't expect monsters to be actually harrassing other monsters in the way PH did, so again we had something unique that wasn't seen very often...that and a host of other issues already mentioned is why this hammer guy pales in comparison to PH.

It still remains to be seen how he will be used, and it actually may end up being beneficial to the overall game, but first impressions of his character and design are just lacking.
This pretty much sums up my opinion too. Silent Hill has always had disturbing monsters, my opinion of hammer guy at this point is the same as my opinion of being chased by Sawyer from lost throughout the second half of SH4 - it was just bland, nothing twisted, nothing revolting, just "some guy" trying to be scarier than the town full of inhuman abominations and twisted nightmares.
--Master of the moon--
Monster
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Monster »

I think humans can be scary in Silent Hill, like Eddie as a deranged man child for example. It's just that hammer man cant seem to decide if he's a monster or just a deranged man in a 'spooky' costume. That was what I didnt like about the suited men in Homecoming. But, I think this character would be alright if they tweaked the design. Right now it's just too straightforeward. A robed guy with a gas mask and hammer, it's like it could be in any game from resident evil, to metal gear something.
"Star Wars is like the thing that isn't remotely cool anymore but that nobody will stop talking about of my generation" -Me.
MAvulture
Just Passing Through

Post by MAvulture »

Eddie was different in the fact that he was so painfully human - a messed up, sad example of humanity, not just some serial killer straight out of a slasher movie. For all we know, hammer guy could have a decent role to play, but he looks too... normal to fit in. Theres a big difference between a chubby man-child who was pushed too far and a pissed off NCR ranger who got lost on his way to New Vegas.
--Master of the moon--
SilentRobert23
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by SilentRobert23 »

Monster wrote:I think humans can be scary in Silent Hill, like Eddie as a deranged man child for example.
"Eddie.... Have you gone nuts?" and reaction is the best example of this I know. Even better if you know people like that.
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

We don't even know why the "hammer guy" is even dressed like he is. ffs, why can't we just wait to see how he's tied to the story once we play the game? all this assuming is annoying.. i hate all this "i wish they would change the design" talk, when we don't know jack about the character.
thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by thy_butcher »

What about the Silent Hill mines? The Hammer-Man is seemingly wearing some sort of respiratory device. Maybe it's a piece of equipment to help shield his lungs from harm? I'm not saying he's human; but instead perhaps a memory of a worker who worked in the mines? Someone important to Murphy somehow?
I don't know. I'm no Silent Hill Historian. I may be completely off-the-radar.
Monster
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Monster »

If that's the case then I feel like he should be dirtier. That's what the design really needs anyway, more grit and grime, and maybe he could look like he's made of garbage or something. Black plastic bags instead of robes.
"Star Wars is like the thing that isn't remotely cool anymore but that nobody will stop talking about of my generation" -Me.