Lots of gameplay (E3 footage)

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

Number 7
Brookhaven Receptionist

Re: Lots of gameplay (E3 footage)

Post by Number 7 »

I had to roll my eyes a little at seeing yet another overturned wheelchair with a wheel still turning on the roof of that building. We've been there and done that. Twice.

From the few parts we've seen, they seem to have done a good job of avoiding many of the tired SH cliches (i.e. Nurses and hospitals). I really hope this is the only one.
"He's underground now. His new name is Number Seven."
simeonalo
Historical Society Historian

Post by simeonalo »

Number 7 wrote:
-The bus crash was originally going to be a plane crash
-Murphy was originally going to be named Jack
Both of these were just part of a joke that they were making. They mentioned that the monster chasing Murphy was originally made of smoke. There was a smoke monster on the TV show LOST. There was also a plane crash at the beginning and the main character's name was Jack. They weren't being serious. Just an inside joke for LOST fans.
Aha. Sorry there. The Shade seemed pretty interesting, though I didn't pay much attention to the dev's commenting on how it was "made of smoke".
Tillerman
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Tillerman »

I like the idea of the void chase sequences, even if it is a real horror movie cliche... still I don't think I've ever seen it in a video game before, so why not? It looks cool and is definitely threatening.

However, it didn't occur to me until someone mentioned it how stupid it is to throw furniture in the way of a void to "slow it down"... wow, that is tremendously dumb. And that's obviously only in there to copy SM... let's just hope that element is removed from the final version.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

Tillerman wrote:I like the idea of the void chase sequences, even if it is a real horror movie cliche... still I don't think I've ever seen it in a video game before, so why not? It looks cool and is definitely threatening.

However, it didn't occur to me until someone mentioned it how stupid it is to throw furniture in the way of a void to "slow it down"... wow, that is tremendously dumb. And that's obviously only in there to copy SM... let's just hope that element is removed from the final version.
I'm supposing that it's eating everything behind you? Perhaps tossing things down is to slow down its "digestion". It's a little weird, though.
Tillerman
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Tillerman »

Yuki wrote:I'm supposing that it's eating everything behind you? Perhaps tossing things down is to slow down its "digestion". It's a little weird, though.
I suppose they could defend it with that explanation, but it still seems way too silly to me. I mean, it's obviously there because they copied SM's chase sequences a little too closely without thinking about it. Let's just hope they think about it a little bit more before the game is released.
ww_andi
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by ww_andi »

is it wrong of me to not have a problem with the chasing fog or cloud or whatever it is,
Harrys_Girl

Post by Harrys_Girl »

Tillerman wrote:However, it didn't occur to me until someone mentioned it how stupid it is to throw furniture in the way of a void to "slow it down"... wow, that is tremendously dumb. And that's obviously only in there to copy SM... let's just hope that element is removed from the final version.
Yeah, I watched a video on tumblr w/ a woman from some website talking about having to knock things down as you run to "slow down the darkness". As soon as she said that, I burst into laughter. Waves of hearty chuckling, so bad I had to pause the video to hear about the rest of the demo. I couldn't help it! Knocking shit over to slow down a black, mist thing sucking everything up? Wouldn't that make about as much sense as throwing the chair you're sitting on at a shadow in the corner hoping to make it go away? If anything, it is going to make the shadow bigger!

It seems like one of those things that seems really cool and creepy and will probably be cool to watch but the logic is about nonexistant there.
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

Harrys_Girl wrote:I thought that that was an Otherworld transition so there would be no running from it or slowing it down, but I guess I was mistake. That'd be cool though... I know I always tried to run from the transitions when I could.
Whoa, there's never been a Silent Hill game where you can escape the Otherworld from happening before. Tha'ts a pretty cool idea actually. It could happen anytime... anywhere... you have to be ready... Silent Hill: Downpour.
Socially Awkward Penguin is my hero.
Yekoto
Just Passing Through

Post by Yekoto »

Number 7 wrote:I had to roll my eyes a little at seeing yet another overturned wheelchair with a wheel still turning on the roof of that building. We've been there and done that. Twice.

From the few parts we've seen, they seem to have done a good job of avoiding many of the tired SH cliches (i.e. Nurses and hospitals). I really hope this is the only one.

Well, so some one else saw that as well. I though I was going nuts since no one else so far mentioned it. Hopefully it is just an easter egg to the older games. Maybe they might have similar easter eggs to the older SH games as well.
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

http://youtu.be/D32HjUQmCQ8?t=7s

Extra footage. Looks like Murphy carries around a journal. There's also a town exploration part. There's the cutscene where Anne falls down supposedly.

http://youtu.be/cjIN3xe3i3I
Lawlzy
Just Passing Through

Post by Lawlzy »

Yekoto wrote:
Number 7 wrote:I had to roll my eyes a little at seeing yet another overturned wheelchair with a wheel still turning on the roof of that building. We've been there and done that. Twice.

Well, so some one else saw that as well. I though I was going nuts since no one else so far mentioned it. Hopefully it is just an easter egg to the older games. Maybe they might have similar easter eggs to the older SH games as well.
I think by easter egg you mean a "nod" to the older games. Easter eggs are well hidden, not out in plain view.

Also this game looks disappointing... What's with the hammer-wielding Pyro?
KoRn_Child
Just Passing Through

Post by KoRn_Child »

Throwing stuff down to slow the void is silly, but maybe it's not the only thing that chases you in the game?

As far as the Otherworld transitions, I honestly prefer when they didn't happen in front of you. Being able to see the actual transition takes away sone of the impact for me. I liked being caught off-guard by the shifts. It was more mysterious and disorienting (in a good way).
How can I be lost if I've got nowhere to go?
stopped_clock
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by stopped_clock »

We do not know the properties of the void, we do not know it's mechanisms or anything of it's nature, ergo we cannot say that obstacles slowing it down is silly. If the void is destroying or devouring everything in it's path then perhaps the more that there is in front of it the longer it takes to move forward.
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
Of course the lockers were already in it's path, just vertical rather than horizontal, so really it's exactly the same amount of stuff that it has to get past, but shhhh.
About the otherworld shifts, there has never been another that was even comparable in it's effectiveness to SH1's schoolyard clocktower. That was just pure mindfuckery and far more unsettling and disorienting than "oooh, look it's all peely!".

In fact, the shifts in SH1 were far more creative than in any of the other games, I mean
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
the hospital elevator 4th floor
was a stroke of genius. Creepy, creepy genius.

I think that in the future devs need to stop focusing on how to make the otherworld transitions look cool in realtime, and instead look to the first game and look at why those transitions are so effective.
Too cold to start a fire
I'm burning diesel, burning dinosaur bones
I'll take the river down to still water
And ride a pack of dogs
Tillerman
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Tillerman »

stopped_clock wrote:We do not know the properties of the void, we do not know it's mechanisms or anything of it's nature, ergo we cannot say that obstacles slowing it down is silly.
Well, speaking from a horror perspective, I don't want to know anything about it. I don't want any explanations, I just want it to be a mysterious void that chases you. Explanations really take away the power of things.

And besides that, it's silly of them to hold over that throwing things down mechanic from SM when you're not being chased by tangible creatures. I don't want that void to be slowed down by eating things as if it's a giant worm or something, I want it to be an intangible nightmare. The alternative is just gonna feel silly no matter how they try to explain it.
stopped_clock wrote:About the otherworld shifts, there has never been another that was even comparable in it's effectiveness to SH1's schoolyard clocktower. That was just pure mindfuckery and far more unsettling and disorienting than "oooh, look it's all peely!"
Very true. And they never tried something like that again, did they? I wish they would...
Silent Fantasy

Post by Silent Fantasy »

I agree. SH1 had the most varied and subtle AND creative transitions in the series. Its been getting less and less so as the series goes on starting at 2.
and I dont have a problem with that short chase scene. it looks tense, which is what they were going for. and the otherworld transition was very well done actually. But I feel they packed to much action there to soon. they shouldve let us explore this new otherworld for a bit and be subtle with the scares. let the atmosphere sink in and unsettle you before sending you off on a run. and I also hope they lose the context clues. we did fine without them before SHH and SM. but it wont affect me none if they dont. all in all, those 8 mins show great promise to me. im happy about that. :)
WARNING: Some Parts of Reality May Seem Violent or Cruel.
KoRn_Child
Just Passing Through

Post by KoRn_Child »

It's been so long since I played the original game. The only transition I distinctly remember was the first one, in the alleyway. It happened so quickly and without warning... if the desired effect was to freak me out (and it was) then they pulled it off beautifully. If I remember correctly Harry did question how it had gotten dark so quickly, so it's not like they never acknowledged it.

In SH2 I can only vaguely remember the hospital shift, despite playing through the game at least six different times. It happens right after Pyramid Head knocks you off the roof, doesn't it?

SH3 was when they started hinting at the transitions (with Valtiel turning the crank). SH4 had you climbing through the hole... I can't remember shit about Origins though. And of course Homecoming is when they got blatant about it, thanks mainly to the movie. It's a cool effect to be sure, but it should have stayed in the films IMO.
How can I be lost if I've got nowhere to go?
Silent Fantasy

Post by Silent Fantasy »

it happens in 2 after the fight with the hangmen or whatever theyre called.
WARNING: Some Parts of Reality May Seem Violent or Cruel.
ww_andi
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by ww_andi »

i like the new transition and i love that it is in real time, even with them doing this it can still catch you of guard and make you go "oh no, the otherworld"

but i also agree that sh1 had the best transitions