Lots of gameplay (E3 footage)

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

Yuki
Historical Society Historian

Lots of gameplay (E3 footage)

Post by Yuki »

http://e3.gamespot.com/live.html?tag=masthead%3Btitle

Skip to approximately 1:48 (that is, 1 hour and 48 minutes) to see it.

We see Murphy in the Foggy Silent Hill, and indeed there is fog, though it seems to be a bit further away than in the old games. We also see him breaking open a lock to get further in areas, and Devin Shatsky mentions an enemy known as The Void. This creature-thing (not exactly a creature... it seems to be an extension of the Otherworld) occasionally chases Murphy through long hallways, and kills him on contact.

The interface is very clean. Occasional context clues seem to pop up when you can use something in the environment (I noticed "X - USE" at one point to use a fire extinguisher button), and when you get a new objective ("Find a way out of the area", for instance), it comes up on the screen briefly.

Shatsky also mentions that the game focuses on Silent Hill as if it were a character, but also on Murphy's issues, as well as the issues of the other characters within it. He seemed to imply that there are many characters, but the gameplay certainly looks lonely.

He says there is no inventory system, but specifies for weapons. It leads me to believe that he can keep items. Also, guns are apparently rare.

Shatsky also quite clearly says that the game will be coming out in Winter.

EDIT: Someone said there might not be video at the link, so please ensure that you find the "Day 1" footage.
Last edited by Yuki on 09 Jun 2011, edited 2 times in total.
Yoshata
My Bestsellers Clerk

Re: Lots of gameplay (E3 footage)

Post by Yoshata »

Fixed camera angles YEEESSS!!

Seriously though, it looks like it's a lot of fun. Nothing really came up as red flags to me, and it looks like it definitely emphasizes atmosphere over action. I dug the Otherworld sequences. Me likey.
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

Nexus 6... I think Shatsky sent his replicant clone to E3 in his place. :lol:

Anyhoo, back on topic. This looks really good. The breakable weapons thing sounds like it actually could be fun, the way Shatsky describes it. I like how they're only showing bits of it. Nothing seems very spoilerific, at least not to me. So far, so good. It's still waiting for Lord Kira's seal of approval, though.
Mr.FLOOT
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Mr.FLOOT »

Now I'm excited again! That last trailer really didn't do it any justice! While this little bit of gameplay looks great! Very silent hill to me! And I'm glad the fixed camera angles are back!
Bring on winter!!!!
Agent of God
Subway Guard

Post by Agent of God »

I'm glad the fixed camera angles are back!
Same here.
Did you guys notice that there are alot of SH:SM gameplay elements in there? I like that.
It looked good in general.
We are still here...
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

Agent of God wrote:
I'm glad the fixed camera angles are back!
Same here.
Did you guys notice that there are alot of SH:SM gameplay elements in there? I like that.
It looked good in general.
Especially that one unbeatable creature. Yet we can still fight, which sounds quite nice. I'm excited.
Agent of God
Subway Guard

Post by Agent of God »

Yes they have implemented some SM features for the "Void" chase sequences, while at the same time given us a new gameplay where you can fight regular monsters.

The game looks big!
We are still here...
KageReneko
Subway Guard

Post by KageReneko »

The game included one of my most hatred features from Homecoming: the damn objectives... And they are obvious and unnecesary...

Find a way out of the area

OH REALLY!!??

Ther game looks good but I already have been dissaponted three times so I won't get excited or troll mode until I play it...
saevitia
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by saevitia »

I don't see a vid when I click your link. :/
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

Click on Day 1
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

Uh Kage, i don't remember any objectives in Homecoming... and i played that game to death.

anyhow, all this has me really excited for Downpour's release. the gameplay is looking the way i anticipated. i wanted a good balance for those who like combat, and those who don't, so im glad to see that they're catering to both sides here. i wasn't all that crazy about Downpour's lack of an inventory system until watching this vid. i like the realism it adds to the game. my only concern is how this will work with items like keys, health items, and such.
KageReneko
Subway Guard

Post by KageReneko »

You had an objective screen, it was on the menu where you could see the pics, drawings, notes and the game options I think...

I hope the challenging puzzles return here, this was my favorite thing about the Silent Hill games but the last games have just...

Let's hope there are REAL puzzles that make you think...
redrum
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by redrum »

Saw a bit of a map in one of the gameplay vids
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

"You had an objective screen, it was on the menu where you could see the pics, drawings, notes and the game options I think..."

that's not really the same as objectives that pop up on screen, telling you what to do. if anything, the're there as reminders in case you somehow get lost, or forget what you were supposed to do (which i can't imagine happening in Homecoming).

i agree about making the puzzles better. adding a difficulty again would be great.

anyway
KageReneko
Subway Guard

Post by KageReneko »

Yeah you're right... I just miss the times when you get lost because you misread some of the clues that you had collected as far... I don't like to be told where to go because it kills a bit of the gameplay for me...

That's the reason of why I didn't like the objectives in Homecoming; it was more subtle in SH and SH2 where the character just marked a location in the map while you were looking away, then you suffered like 2 hours trying to know where to go and after you luckily reached your location you realized how the answer was in your face all the time, you just needed to be more attentive...

It's like the building room in SH4; all that you have to do is written on the Reminiscences file but you don't notice it at first... I liked that kind of immersion... Do you remember in SH1 when we tried to use the damn rubber ball everywhere?? When you finally reached the roof and watched the drain hole and how mucy proud of yourself you felt knowing that the damn ball should be used there?? An objective message saying "Use the rubber ball for getting the key from the roof" would killed that great experience...

I liked the SH games because they made me THINK!! We didn't have any help besides the vague memos that we collected and our attention to the environment; no objectives, no flashy icons saying what doors will open or where I have to check... I don't like that the game tell me how to play the game, I want to investigate myself!!

If the developers are reading this I beg you to include an option for turn off all the on screen messages, also to give me puzzles like the ones in Silent Hill 3 that made me spent days literally trying to solve them by myself with a paper and a pencil...

Part of the Silent Hill atmosphere is to feel alone and helpless; a suddenly message saying where I have to go or what I should do just kills the mood for me...
Tillerman
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Tillerman »

I can't see to view it on my computer... but anyway, the return of fixed camera angles makes me very happy.

I don't like the sound of "objectives," though... though I guess I shouldn't be surprised, considering this game is purported to have 15-20 sidequests. Maybe they'll use the modern style of giving the player objective lists and having popups to let you know when you've completed something... just like a shooter.
Hydra666
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Hydra666 »

There's a 8 minutes length video of gameplay somewhere on Facebook.

It's supposed to be there

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php ... 4&comments

But it doesn't works for me. Is there another place where I could view it?
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

Looks like Murphy can place his flashlight on his hip, and then grab it whenever he wants to get a better look at something. he can also punch if he doesn't have a weapon. Im not sure if these are things that were shown in the link shown above, but i found one on youtube that shows this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irsGRHbNspk

also, im not sure where to find the 8 minute vid. i can't get facebook at work, but i found this which shows the otherworld transition and some more gameplay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUPleHIrmkM
Hydra666
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Hydra666 »

I've seen both this morning but thanks nonetheless.
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

in case u didnt find it yet Hydra

8 min gameplay

http://helldescent.com/2011/06/08/eight ... r-from-e3/

lol@the comments during the demo.