Do you have faith in the new game?

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

PyramidFace
Just Passing Through

Re: Do you have faith in the new game?

Post by PyramidFace »

clips wrote: the billboards seen on highways or the interstates .
lol
It only costs between 2-3 grand
LOL!
VIVIsect
Historical Society Historian

Post by VIVIsect »

clips wrote:I'll have a little more faith when they start implementing some decent marketing as well.
I can't imagine that many people outside of the already established Silent Hill fanbase are going to be interested in buying the 8th game of a 13 year old series, regardless of flashy billboards or television commercials. I wouldn't think the expense would be justified... And the already established fanbase is weeeelllll aware of the game.
nobody is anybody
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

VIVIsect wrote:
clips wrote:I'll have a little more faith when they start implementing some decent marketing as well.
I can't imagine that many people outside of the already established Silent Hill fanbase are going to be interested in buying the 8th game of a 13 year old series, regardless of flashy billboards or television commercials. I wouldn't think the expense would be justified... And the already established fanbase is weeeelllll aware of the game.
What, so they're not allowed to try and actually get the game a wider audience? Seriously?
VIVIsect

Post by VIVIsect »

That's... not even remotely what I said.

What I said was "I wouldn't think the [marketing] expense would be justified". I'm not exactly sure how you translated that into me telling Konami what to do with their money, or whether or not they're allowed to expend their fanbase... They can buy Silent Hill Superbowl ads for all I care.
nobody is anybody
clips
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by clips »

PyramidFace wrote:
clips wrote: the billboards seen on highways or the interstates .
lol
It only costs between 2-3 grand
LOL!

Not sure if this is sarcasm or not, but i have seen highway billboards ads that stated "rent this billboard for $3000.00 for 4 months". I think if the ad is clever and slick enough, i think there's an opportunity for konami to have new folks gain an interest in this game.
Kenji

Post by Kenji »

I was gonna say "Psshhh!!" but, then again...

Though, I don't think the billboard really did all that much.

On a more serious note, though, marketing only goes so far. A slightly askew example: Paultards constantly bleat that "all the media is ignoring Ron Paul!" Meanwhile, every other time I turn on CNN, they're interviewing Ron Paul. The Paultards get to say this because they assume that Ron Paul is so self-evidently convincing that anyone who hears him talk will absolutely vote for him, so Ron Paul failing to win the Presidency is taken as evidence that the media is ignoring him.

They never stop to think that people hear from him and about him, but simply aren't convinced.

Silent Hill is a niche product. All the advertising dollars and huckstering in the world can't change the fact that it appeals to a specific type of gamer, and that specific type of gamer tends to have already heard of Silent Hill. If Silent Hill was gonna bust out onto the mainstream, it probably would've done so with the big-ass movie.
Glenn
Gravedigger

Post by Glenn »

I think they should advertise even if it seems not worth it. I mean companies like Coca Cola who everyone knows still advertises. Why would they even need to advertise? I guess somehow they see that commercials work.

I definitely think this game can be purchased by a non-fan of the series. It is a stand-alone game like SH 2 which can be played without knowing the events of previous Silent Hills. Sure newbies might not understand Alessa references, but everyone should be able to understand ( well there's usually theories and confusion here too) the story of the game.