Do you have faith in the new game?

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

warfare315
Brookhaven Receptionist

Re: Do you have faith in the new game?

Post by warfare315 »

So far with every update on this game, I get a little more excited, but still a little unsure. And yeah, Korn? Weird. It does look surprisingly good, though.
Another frequency perpetuated into context, trapped in the eternal paradox.
vaporeyesofficial.bandcamp.com
Facebook.com/vaporeyesofficial
Kenji
Historical Society Historian

Post by Kenji »

Faith?

Faith should be reserved for things that can never be proven, like Heaven, Vishnu, or escape from the Samsara.

Whether Downpour is good or not can be verified within six months or so. What need do we have for faith?
Walter10h
Just Passing Through

Post by Walter10h »

Kenji wrote:Faith?

Faith should be reserved for things that can never be proven, like Heaven, Vishnu, or escape from the Samsara.

Whether Downpour is good or not can be verified within six months or so. What need do we have for faith?
I just know you gotta relax a little... Fine, the word "faith" might be out of context, english isn't my first language and I still make mistakes. Did I make you happy?

Now, with that settled, I actually didn't know about the side-quests. If done nicely it could be a nice touch.

I still hope for something more SH1-esque mixed with McGee's Alice somehow. The trippier(lol word?), the better.
Aerith Gainsborough

Post by Aerith Gainsborough »

I didn't know it was weird to use 'faith' referring if you believe that the game will succeed. It's just like telling someone, "I have faith (I believe) in you." Same thing. I don't think it's weird at all.
I'm rarely on the forums anymore. Click here for ways to reach me.
delusion
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by delusion »

No not at this point, all the gameplay videos and trailers we've seen has been pretty bad. I think this will as bad as Homecoming or maybe worse.
Martee
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Martee »

I have faith that it will be a good game, but I'm not so sure about it being Silent Hill. It looks too similar to Homecoming (though I did like Homecoming but not as a Silent Hill game).

The main thing that has bothered me throughout the production is that Vatra has constantly been saying We're not doing Homecoming! and making quite unprofessional comments and playing on the whole We're fans of the series too! instead of actually just focussing on making a good game. So strangely I think them making a big deal about 'listening to the fans' is a good and a bad thing at the same time.

I might just be cynical as well but it annoys me when people's only comments about the quality of the game is 'Oh wow those graphics are amazing'..... Even though good graphics are basically a must now a days (or so the industry seems to think), a game cannot be judged on graphics anymore.

Also the game is on the Unreal engine which makes it extremely easy to make good quality particle effects and post processing etc, the major downfall of the Unreal engine for me is that it makes everything look shiny and wet (which I suppose is a good thing for Downpour).

I like the chase scene with the void, though without wanting to compare everything to SH2, I don't think it looks as effective as the PH chase, which I think is mainly due to the fact that with PH it was obvious that if he caught you you were dead, with the void it seems quite vague.

Which brings me onto another point, if the void actually has some meaning within the game, for example if maybe towards the end of the game Murphy has to face the void/enter the void as a sort of revelation scene, I worry that upon another play through it wouldn't make sense to run away from the void..... If that makes any sense... Unless they're just doing Jacob's Ladder, which I hope not.
I also don't like the whole 'throwing objects in the way of a void' thing.... erm what? :S

I like that they're going for a more melee oriented combat system, though I do really like having guns in the Silent Hill games, but I want the player to feel like they're not very skilled at using them, however I think that would require some sort of new gameplay innovation to really achieve.

I could go on all day but anyways I'll leave it there or I'll probably just start an argument, lol.

TL;DR = I know I will like the game, but I'm beginning to lose interest in Silent Hill for the reasons I liked it for before... Now I only play it because it's a good survival horror game when most other games have moved on.
My supply fell through...
Typographenia

Post by Typographenia »

Probably going off too far on a tangent but-
Martee wrote:The main thing that has bothered me throughout the production is that Vatra has constantly been saying We're not doing Homecoming! and making quite unprofessional comments and playing on the whole We're fans of the series too! instead of actually just focussing on making a good game. So strangely I think them making a big deal about 'listening to the fans' is a good and a bad thing at the same time.
Well, you always need to take into account fan opinion since that's essentially a guaranteed sale, but of course you shouldn't ever live by their demands.

The issue you raise about making a good game as priority one is what got me so upset about korn in the other thread. SHO should have been a better game/story, but they got too wrapped up in trying to fit in an unnecessary prequel tie-in. SH:H should have been better, but it got too concerned with trying to pull a SH2 twist in the plot, rather than just make a strong experience. SH:SM could have been exceptional, already taking a bold step in a new art direction, had it not been for tying themselves down to the same characters/locations/progression/whatever of SH1. (In the same breath, I will still argue that it is great because it plays on preconceptions and past experiences from 1)

I was really glad to see that Downpour looked like it would have the best chance of focusing on being a good game first and foremost because they were closest to starting from scratch both in concept and in team members. I heard good things from several sources after demoing Downpour at e3, and the material they released on sunday appeared pretty good. Then they announce that korn is doing a song... The confidence I had in the title took a big dip because this seems like it will only be a marketing ploy to sell a game that konami (maybe vatra) doesn't believe in. Make a good game. Let the quality of the title be the thing you sell. If you make a great game, others will find out and tell other people. Constantly trying to reassure your audience and the public what it isn't just makes us question, consciously or subconsciously, if you know what you're doing. Saying you're qualified because you've played the games, watched movies, and all that is great, but show, don't tell.

Yes, I am aware that they often are answering questions directed at them. I stand by my point.
I still trust Vatra can pull off a good game. However, I really want it to be successful because the game is good, not because it isn't homecoming or signing korn for a song.
Martee wrote:I also don't like the whole 'throwing objects in the way of a void' thing.... erm what? :S
Yeah, the first time I saw him throw something down I thought "oh, another thing they're keeping from shattered memories. okay." The second time I thought, "Wait, what? How is a locker going to slow down a black hole thing?"

Maybe it makes more sense in context. Perhaps this is not the first encounter with this thing and it does have some sort of physical restrictions to it that Murphy is aware of. I'm kind of doubting it, but maybe?
angelofROOM302

Post by angelofROOM302 »

Yessir! :mrgreen:

I'm really excited to see the outcome of the game. At first when the game was first mentioned, I would have said differently. Haha! Now that I'm actually seeing more and getting a bit more of a feeling of what's to come, I'm all in. Being able to see the gameplay makes me believe more in the game. I like the direction that it's taking at the moment. I've got good faith in Vatra with this game. I really hope it will live up to my expectation when it releases!
Catch22
Subway Guard

Post by Catch22 »

Typographenia wrote:The confidence I had in the title took a big dip because this seems like it will only be a marketing ploy to sell a game that konami (maybe vatra) doesn't believe in. Make a good game. Let the quality of the title be the thing you sell. If you make a great game, others will find out and tell other people.
Sadly, this doesn't always work. There are plenty of fantastic games that tank due to a lack of publicity. Word of mouth can only take a game so far, and Konami wants sales.

Konami is in an awkward position with Silent Hill. They have a game that exists in a dying genre, has a split fanbase, and has an almost non-existent Japanese audience. Meanwhile, they're up against juggernaut series like Modern Warfare 3 and Battlefield. They have no choice but to utilize marketing ploys to garner the attention of the average gamer.

I don't blame them, and to me it doesn't display a lack of confidence in the game but a simple desire to attract attention pre-launch, regardless of the game's quality.

EDIT: On topic, I do have faith in this series. I've enjoyed everything I've seen so far and have no reason to doubt it. I probably shouldn't get too excited, but what's the harm? My expectations will either be satisfied, or they won't--and if they aren't I'm not going to let it ruin my year.
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

Some things made me like the game. Others didn't.

At the end of the day, the game isn't even out. 'Course that doesn't stop us from throwing shit at the fan (or rainbows) too often.

Am I the only one who thought we had enough of this kind of thread? Yep.
Martee
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Martee »

Mephisto wrote:Some things made me like the game. Others didn't.

At the end of the day, the game isn't even out. 'Course that doesn't stop us from throwing shit at the fan (or rainbows) too often.

Am I the only one who thought we had enough of this kind of thread? Yep.
I think threads like this are always good, whether it's to vent worries about your favourite series of games or just to share your excitement, plus if the developers do listen to the fans like they say, what better way to see what people are thinking?

After all we are commenting on the footage/gameplay/images etc that they have chosen for us to see and if we can't comment on that or they don't want to see/hear the feedback whether negative or positive, what is the point in even showing it?

If they showed no footage and did no marketing for a Silent Hill game I'd probably be even more inclined to buy it on day one than I am now, just to see what the game is like.

This is pretty much waaay off topic but I think the only way konami could really bring their sales and get the franchise some attention in this day and age would be to relaunch with a game simply called Silent Hill (Though I don't like this idea but I could see it coming, especially with franchises like Devil May Cry doing it), maybe not even have it a remake, just reset the numbers and drop the subtitles, because I think what's happening is people are afraid to pick up a numbered game due to not having played the earlier titles so konami uses a subtitle but then people see the subtitle and assume it's a spin-off and as such will probably be a subpar title.
My supply fell through...
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

This is pretty much waaay off topic
Indeed.
You looked too much into my message. I was talking about those duplicates that we have once in a very little while.

But why do I care for such a thing? OH THE BANDWID- no. It's because sometimes it gets annoying. :wink:
Tillerman
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Tillerman »

Typographenia wrote:Truth be told, side quests have been in silent hill from the beginning. Remember having to go find the three keys near the beginning? Going to the lighthouse? Collecting all the colored blocks? It's not called a sidequest, but that's what they are, essentially. I'm sure that the "sidequests" in downpour will be worked into the game in a similar way.
I don't think you can call those things "sidequests," sidequests are supposed to be optional and those things are all mandatory. The Kaufmann thing from SH1 is a sidequest though.
DeSilva
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by DeSilva »

Some, but the more I learn the more it's deminishing.

-They got Korn to write the main theme, seems like a marketing tactic. If they're minded like that, then it's a great concern. Makes me curious is there's just alot of fan service or marketing tactics or if the Korn thing is just a blip on the radar. I haven't heard anything from Korn that i've liked, and until it was announced that they'd be doing a theme for downpour, I thought they were on hiatus or had broken up.

-The hammer guy bothers me for a number of reasons, he's too human of an enemy, close to the RE5 Executioner thing, and if he's a reoccouring encounter without a suprisingly and unexplectidly good reason, it could be PH version 2.0. Since PH was James sexual version of a killer, this could be murphy's prison guilty thing comming out. I just don't see him becoming anything good.

-The first song we heard in the first trailer wasn't that great. Some of the more recent stuff we've heard from the facebook preview and the newer trailer aren't exactly the ambient stuff we are used in Silent HIll. They seem geared more toward accenting action/shocking scenes in the visual narrative of the game. So it's not what we're used to, but they might pull it off well.

-To me, the only character of any interest, a character hook, if you're a writer, would be P.J. in the most recent trailer. Murphy just seems mute, slightly emotionless. The cop is what we would expect from a cop, and another tool for the plot. the mail man might be a bit more ambigous, but he's not turning me on either. So far, they haven't really given me a reason to care about Murphy. We've hardly heard him say a word.

-The other world didn't look bad by any means, but there wasn't much that made it stand out to me. While vatra might feel that water is somehow a selling point, I don't get it, but I'll wait for the game to make any final descisions there.

Basically, alot of the prelimary stuff, when you would really wnt to turn on your audience and get them excited, isn't hitting the right cords with me. I'm concerned that this might end up being one a game where you could take SILENT HILL out of the title and it works just as well. The good side of it all, these people are creating a very good atmosphere, and appear to be giving it their all. The fact that they're trying something different with water tells me they don't want to be a repeat of previous silent hills, but it could end up being a fluke that burries them.
-
Goodbye Silent HIll!
(Please Mr. Admin, banish me)
Coma of Souls
Just Passing Through

Post by Coma of Souls »

I know that I shouldn't be so pessimistic about a game that has not come out yet, but Silent Hill 2 hid the creatures behind a layer of fog, Silent Hill 3 hid the creatures behind a very dark background and scared the hell out of me.

This game, I am not sure what it is trying to do.....

.....perhaps that is the lamentation of HD gaming. Everything looks cute and fails to do very little in the way of scares.
*currently playing Silent Hill 3*

Alessa, my dearest... For the pain that I've caused you... I deserve no mercy. Even if it was to save mankind, it was too deep a sin.

—Claudia Wolf
DeSilva
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by DeSilva »

From what I saw of the demo in another thread, the enemies aren't exactly lurking in the darkness. The enemies are highly combative, at least from what we see of the screamers.
Goodbye Silent HIll!
(Please Mr. Admin, banish me)
PoemOfTheLastMoment
Gravedigger

Post by PoemOfTheLastMoment »

This game will have to stand on it's own merit....let's hope they can pull it off.....and yeah the whole dropping lockers to stop a fog has got to be the most stupid thing i have ever seen...heck i didnt realize it till someone on the thread pointed it out....what were they thinking?
Now I Know, The Real Reason Why I Came To This Town....I Wonder....What Was I Afraid Of? Without You..I've Got Nothing...Now, We Can Be Together Again.....Mary.....
VIVIsect

Post by VIVIsect »

As it stands, I'm still on the fence as to whether or not I'll purchase Downpour. It's gonna take some excellent reviews, (generally) positive fan reaction, and many YouTube videos of actual game play to convince me to pony up $60 for it. So, yes. You could say my "faith" is a bit shaky. Not just in this particular title, but the series itself. This will potentially be the second main Silent Hill title in a row that I opt out of. And, I won't be purchasing the HD remakes (I'm perfectly happy with those two games as they are). I won't see the new film. And I have no interest in the handheld title... I think my financial support of the series is coming to an end (I'm sure Konami will somehow manage to carry on without me, though. ;)).
nobody is anybody
Faded-Myth
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Faded-Myth »

Typographenia wrote:
Tillerman wrote:the talk of numerous "sidequests,"
It would be rather disappointing if we got a "collect 10 pairs of screamer high heels."
Actually, I'd find this extremely amusing. Imagine if your mission was to hunt down Screamers, and you ran after them as they tried to flee from you. Then you tackle them and sit on their back while you try and wrestle a shoe from their mangled feet.

Screamer High Heel: 10/10
Achievement: Foot Fetishist
[url=http://silenthill.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page][img]http://www.box.net/shared/static/gzp1irrtr0.png[/img][/url]

[quote]I feel sorry for Henry. Here we have, this good-looking, even-mannered, sharp-dressed young single man, but who gets the fangirls wet? The weirdo serial killer with a soul-crushing Oedipal Complex and bad hygiene, or the dickhead priest with greasy hair and nasty teeth. - Alone in the town[/quote]
Doo-glas
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Doo-glas »

not after reading this http://www.destructoid.com/e3-silent-hi ... 3550.phtml

this makes Downpour sound like exactly what I was hoping it WOULDN'T be like

1. unimpressive graphics
2. bad combat
3. gimmicky 3D
4. Korn theme song

guys, I think it might be time for Konami to just call it quits on Silent Hill, they just don't get it