Do you have faith in the new game?

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

raptor112
Just Passing Through

Re: Do you have faith in the new game?

Post by raptor112 »

When origins first had the breakable weapons I complained about metal weapons that really shouldn't break, breaking and he pointed out that perhasp its the corrupting influence of the town itself that causes those weapons to break down easier. Also have we heard anything on the replay value yet? I know we got multiple endings (with either a UFO or at least a funny end hinted at) and some side quests that won't be available till your second play through. How about costumes or unbreakable weapons like origins?
stopped_clock
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by stopped_clock »

^They mentioned that some sidequests might unlock extra options in the menu, so I really hope that there's an unlockables section in there.
Too cold to start a fire
I'm burning diesel, burning dinosaur bones
I'll take the river down to still water
And ride a pack of dogs
sh#1fan
Historical Society Historian

Post by sh#1fan »

Honestly~

Yes I have faith in this game. It looks really awsome.... However there are still 2 things really pissing me off
1. The Screamers -.- c'mon really? thats not scary its anoying as hell
2. The chekpoints..... are you F%*&#^$ kidding me... its a survivel horror. damn you casual gamers :evil:
oO?
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

sh#1fan wrote:Honestly~

Yes I have faith in this game. It looks really awsome.... However there are still 2 things really pissing me off
1. The Screamers -.- c'mon really? thats not scary its anoying as hell
2. The chekpoints..... are you F%*&#^$ kidding me... its a survivel horror. damn you casual gamers :evil:
What the hell do checkpoints have to do with casual gamers? It makes it a LOT less frustrating than when you go a long way, have no save points, and die. That's not scary, that's just annoying.
PyramidFace
Just Passing Through

Post by PyramidFace »

Seconding Yuki.

Games that rely on story and atmosphere shouldn't play like old-school action games. It just doesn't make sense. It won't be scary the second time. How frustrating is it to be killed by the red mist in Borely Haunted Mansion? Yes, you can skip out on the rooms before the Announcer finishes the second time... but is that fun? It's taking a previously really cool sequence and making it cheap for no reason other than "that's how video games work"

It's like when SM came out, and reviews (and you gamers) complained there "wasn't enough of a penalty for dying" because it would restart the Nightmare. How much more penalty could there be? The game can't kick you in the nuts. Maybe we should have triggered that annoying loud noise bug whenever you died.
Catch22
Subway Guard

Post by Catch22 »

I'm going to third that sentiment. I'm going to third it so hard.

If there aren't decent checkpoints, and I die at the end of the level, I won't go "Oh, how frightening, well done Vatra," I'll turn off my console and hate everything I see for about fifteen minutes.

People seem to think that survival horror games must be annoying in some way, whether it be the controls, checkpoints, or obscuring camera angles. No, a decent developer will be able to frighten us without relying on cheap, frustrating, antiquated techniques. Because I said so, damn it. (That said, some people like certain camera angles for their aesthetic value, which is more than understandable.)
thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by thy_butcher »

PyramidFace - "It's like when SM came out, and reviews (and you gamers) complained there "wasn't enough of a penalty for dying" because it would restart the Nightmare. How much more penalty could there be? The game can't kick you in the nuts..."

Hahaha! :)

I don't really mind the checkpoints. The three above posts sum up why it's a good thing. I will say however that it's a nice feeling when you find a designated Save Point in games. I'm in favor of the auto-saving; I'm just saying...
Oh the sweet noise of activating SH2's Red Squares... Hehe
clips

Post by clips »

I don't mind the auto-save feature either...most times when it's structured right, it's either after a real tough boss fight, or right before it. And even when it doesn't involve bosses, it can just save in a really good way between levels in general.

At the end of the day, i'd rather have a game with checkpoints, than a game without them that forces you to find the save points without no auto-saving in between levels at all.
Augophthalmoses
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Augophthalmoses »

I've got plenty of faith in it. It's shaping up to look like the best Western title so far. Might even earn a spot in my top three with Silent Hill 1 & 3.
Glenn
Gravedigger

Post by Glenn »

I have to say that when there are little to no checkpoints it makes chase sequences and action areas much more heartpounding because you know that a death will send you to the past. But I think the frustration afterwards exceeds the thrill once you die a few times and have to repeat the same crap over and over again.
Kenji

Post by Kenji »

I have to say, these last few gameplay videos have been looking good to me.

A little while ago, I was considering waiting on this one. I liked Shattered Memories and thought the team was capable, but nothing until recently was really interesting me.

A couple days ago, I went and preordered. Done and done. :)
silenthillking
Just Passing Through

Post by silenthillking »

They same to be going away from the usual creature design something homecoming should get a clap for but other than that i can`t wait graphics really speak to what console can handle considering both ps3 and xbox 360 are almost six years old. Also as much as i love Akira Yamaoka`s contribution music wise i think past 4 the room he`s struggling to keep his music original and new at the same time (opinion not fact okay opinion) a new composers seems a nice chance also never heard his work on Dexter. Just a shame they don`t redo the texture`s in silent hill 1 that game was made far to early.
Aerith Gainsborough

Post by Aerith Gainsborough »

Kenji wrote: A couple days ago, I went and preordered. Done and done. :)
That's awesome! I'm still waiting to hear more about other pre-order bonuses, and then pre-order from where I'll get the best bonus. I also gotta wait for my refund check to come in this week before doing any pre-ordering. Too bad I don't really care for GameStop's pre-order bonus, since it's closer to me. ;_;
I'm rarely on the forums anymore. Click here for ways to reach me.
Augophthalmoses
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Augophthalmoses »

The pre order bonuses are pretty weak, but I never pre order games anyway.
clips

Post by clips »

Augophthalmoses wrote:The pre order bonuses are pretty weak, but I never pre order games anyway.

Same here...i never pre-order...even if they do come with pretty good perks. Whenever the game drops, i'll just shoot by gamestop and pick it up.

but other than that i can`t wait graphics really speak to what console can handle considering both ps3 and xbox 360 are almost six years old.
I don't think you can go wrong with either system at this point. Both games are looking identical to each-other, but whenever you get multi-platform games, the xbox version is usally the one that runs a tad smoother and looks slightly better.

On another note and wee bit off-topic concerning the age of the systems. Both systems imo are hitting their stride beautifully....look at the latest Uncharted, Batman or Battlefield 3 games and then look at games like the upcoming Hitman or Max-Payne in terms of what they're doing with physical animations tech.

These systems still have alot of life left in them and are still producing incredible visuals
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

One idea which might satisfy both sides of the checkpoint debate :

Instead of punishing the player by forced repeat of potentially long and repetitive sequences, design the game so that players are given netter rewards post-game for displaying skill in difficult in-game situations. That way, you have incentive to practice for future runs while avoiding the awful idea of not allowing the player to progress in the story until they master some obscure solution.
Nillin
Hope House Careworker

Post by Nillin »

Ryantology wrote:One idea which might satisfy both sides of the checkpoint debate :

Instead of punishing the player by forced repeat of potentially long and repetitive sequences, design the game so that players are given netter rewards post-game for displaying skill in difficult in-game situations. That way, you have incentive to practice for future runs while avoiding the awful idea of not allowing the player to progress in the story until they master some obscure solution.
That would actually be quite brilliant!

I for one, love the idea of checkpoints. Just because I turn a corner and am unexpectedly killed by random monster #27 doesn't mean I should have to trek back from the last save point and have to re-do any slow puzzles I might have solved in the meantime. It really takes you out of the game.
I once was lost, but am now profound.
Cyrus Hanley
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Cyrus Hanley »

The fact that they said they are different difficulty levels for combat and puzzles is very promising.
clips

Post by clips »

I'll have a little more faith when they start implementing some decent marketing as well. Somebody needs to tell Tomm and crew to put konami's a$$ to the fire and start promoting this game for thee entire month of February.

It only costs between 2-3 grand to run a promotional on the billboards seen on highways or the interstates and they have to run some commercial spots. I know konami only really has MGS as their main gig, but i gotta believe there is money in budget somewhere to promote this game...SH never gets it's fair share of promotional marketing.
thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by thy_butcher »

Hopefully Downpour gets some creepy commercials for late-night Tv. :)