Do you have faith in the new game?

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Re: Do you have faith in the new game?

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

I don't think that not loving the last few Silent Hills means not loving Silent Hill, and I certainly don't think that it's wrong to not have faith in the new game.

But if Vatra wants to try, I won't say they shouldn't have their chance. If I worked in video game production, I would want to make a Silent Hill game. Would I know what I was doing? Who knows? I would certainly change a lot, but I think it would come out as an alright game . . . Exactly how many describe the new games.

I think... I'd feel happier if the series as a whole ended, but if a bright eyed company with a pocket full of dreams asked my permission to make a Silent Hill game (for some reason), then I would definently find it difficult to say no. Sorry, that was a bit flip flopish, but I'm still discovering ways that I feel about the current state of the series.
Socially Awkward Penguin is my hero.
Silent Fantasy
Historical Society Historian

Post by Silent Fantasy »

Idc what they do with the series honestly. I love all the games so far and any new SH title that comes out terrible will not effect the previous titles I adore. So I say keep making them. And I do have faith in Downpour and very sure ill enjoy it.
WARNING: Some Parts of Reality May Seem Violent or Cruel.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

Doctor Eggnog wrote:I don't think that not loving the last few Silent Hills means not loving Silent Hill, and I certainly don't think that it's wrong to not have faith in the new game.

But if Vatra wants to try, I won't say they shouldn't have their chance. If I worked in video game production, I would want to make a Silent Hill game. Would I know what I was doing? Who knows? I would certainly change a lot, but I think it would come out as an alright game . . . Exactly how many describe the new games.

I think... I'd feel happier if the series as a whole ended, but if a bright eyed company with a pocket full of dreams asked my permission to make a Silent Hill game (for some reason), then I would definently find it difficult to say no. Sorry, that was a bit flip flopish, but I'm still discovering ways that I feel about the current state of the series.
But the thing is, considering we're just about to the point where we have more "new" Silent Hill games than old, saying "I love Silent Hill" is a bit of a misnomer if what you really mean is "I love Silent Hill 1 and 2, and 3 was alright, but anything past that was awful".

Also, unfortunately, even if you got your wish of making a Silent Hill game... the fans would probably hate it since they're damn near unpleasable. :P
jak5C0lon
Just Passing Through

Post by jak5C0lon »

Yuki wrote:even if you got your wish of making a Silent Hill game... the fans would probably hate it since they're damn near unpleasable. :P
HERE HERE!! :lol:
ww_andi
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by ww_andi »

the fans are hard to plz

i have liked all the games they each are different
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

@ I think 1 and 2 are amazing, 3 is very good, 4 is okay, Origins is good, and Homecoming is okay. I certainly don't think that the later games are trash and OVERALL I love Silent Hill, it is my favorite game series and I care about it a lot, which is why I worry about what I feel has been a general decline in the series. I mean, I don't want it to turn to The IT'S STILL GOING!? Simpsons during seasons 15-19.
VenusDoom
Hope House Careworker

Post by VenusDoom »

^^
I thought one was very good, 2 was excelent, 3 was AMAZING, 4 could have been better. I hated the gameplay. Origins was very good, I haven't played Homecoming, and from what I've played of Shattered Memories thus so far, I lvoe it. <3 I have faith in Silent Hill. I think it'll be like how a series starts good, then declines, but eventually, SOMETHING brings them to greatness again. Like Nintendo, They're ruled till Gamecube, then the Wii came out, using a new innovative idea, they swept the market out from under their competitors feat. Nintendo is always using new inovative ideas. Konami should learn some thing from them. Maybe that would bring MGS, Silent Hill, ect. back to the limelight,
Cry baby, cry baby, cry,<3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_DW9xJTX-4
I love the Silent Hill Series. The games: Homecoming, Origins, and Shattered Memories, did nothing wrong whatsoever, they were developed well, and did things different. Just because they were not by Team Silent doesn't mean that they're bad games. I believe in this series. I believe that one day, we can have a game that will make all Silent Hill fans Happy. I believe that Silent Hill Downpour can achieve this.
Team Silent may be gone, but their series isn't. Instead... it's here, it's alive.

If you agree, add it to your sig.
theEdge
Just Passing Through

Post by theEdge »

I do have faith in the game, even after watching Fungo's/Twin-Perfect's video TRSHE on youtube (which is excellent check it out). I am curious however to how the plot is going to turn out considering your a prisoner. I sincerely hope your not some closet murderer like James in SH2. There's no cult aspect to the game so I cant begin to come up with a plot. All of the games have been about the cult or some cheap version of SH2 in my opinion. I am excited to see that this is hopefully going to be different.
Its my new cologne called 'come to me', doesn't it smell like come to you?
Tillerman
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Tillerman »

It's only natural that the fans are hard to please... they are all different people with different opinions. So obviously it's gonna be hard to please everyone. Bottom line, though, if the game were good enough, I think it's very possible that a huge majority of the fanbase could like it. But it's extremely hard to make a game that good, and it happens very rarely. It's unreasonable to expect every new Silent Hill game by an untested developer to be that good.
atomheart
Just Passing Through

Post by atomheart »

I like the look of this, it's still a bit hard to say how it will truly play until we can get our hands on it though.

I liked the "void" section, and also the way the corridor kept stretching out as you were running towards the end, kind of like some screwy nightmare!

If they have more of these moments it will make for an awesome game (I reckon anyway). I'm sure they've kept many a secret from us and just tapped the surface of what will be happening in this game.

In short, yes I have faith....!
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

theEdge wrote:I do have faith in the game, even after watching Fungo's/Twin-Perfect's video TRSHE on youtube (which is excellent check it out). I am curious however to how the plot is going to turn out considering your a prisoner. I sincerely hope your not some closet murderer like James in SH2. There's no cult aspect to the game so I cant begin to come up with a plot. All of the games have been about the cult or some cheap version of SH2 in my opinion. I am excited to see that this is hopefully going to be different.
We actually have a huge thread down in Your Special Place about TRSHE. It's quite the controversial subject, to say the least. (To avoid derailing the thread, don't ask me about it... just go look at the thread :P )

I agree, though. We've had a lot of amnesia plots in Silent Hill, and unless it's done in a refreshing way, it'll just be predictable.

EDIT: derp, the thread for TRSHE is in Your Special Place, not Indian Runner. I edited the post.
Last edited by Yuki on 15 Jun 2011, edited 1 time in total.
mikefile
Gravedigger

Post by mikefile »

Yuki wrote:We've had a lot of amnesia plots in Silent Hill, and unless it's done in a refreshing way, it'll just be predictable.
That's my point. Completely agreed.
EmilietheStrange
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by EmilietheStrange »

I have faith in the series. I've loved all the SH games I've played. I'm really, really hoping the game sells well, because if it does, it might help revive the survival horror genre. At least, I can hope. Right now, the FPS seems to reign supreme, and it would be absolutely fantastic if horror games made a comeback.

So yes, I'll probably buy this on the first day it comes out.

I do agree with those who say no amnesia plots though. It's been done too many times before.
David01
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by David01 »

EmilietheStrange wrote:I have faith in the series. I've loved all the SH games I've played. I'm really, really hoping the game sells well, because if it does, it might help revive the survival horror genre. At least, I can hope. Right now, the FPS seems to reign supreme, and it would be absolutely fantastic if horror games made a comeback.

So yes, I'll probably buy this on the first day it comes out.

I do agree with those who say no amnesia plots though. It's been done too many times before.

I kinda hope that they come up with a completely original plotline. Like something that has never been seen in the series before this, at least I'm keeping my fingers crossed for something of that nature.

Also FPS games all look alike to me, it's time that the survival Horror Genre is brought back for a time. At least in that genre you had some original ideas from time to time. Instead of all the games looking exactly the same. Case in point, a friend of mine was playing borderlands the other day, I walked into the room. I said what are you playing there Black ops? He replied no, I'm playing Borderlands. The sad thing was, the game looked almost identical to black ops, at least it did to me. And Halo also looks almost exactly the same, the only different in all these games, are the environments, and even those aren't completely different from one another.

I have faith in Vatra and Tom and Tomm and Devin. However they seem kinda worn out, just listen to their commentary in the 8 minute preview video. They both sound like they're just absolutely drug out and worn out. I mean I can tell these guys are putting their blood sweat and tears into this project. So come on guys, try to look at this game with an open mind, and quit being so nasty towards them.

So far I like what I've seen, I have a few concerns. But I"m willing to sit back and see what they give us in the final product. So as far as faith, I have faith and I certainly believe in these guys abilities to bring us a great and engaging Silent Hill experience like none other.
The only way for evil to continue, is for good men to do nothing!!!!
stopped_clock
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by stopped_clock »

^What you said about fps games could be said about any genre really, but the thing that seems odd to me is that you picked 3 fps titles that actually play incredibly differently; Halo is a run and gun shooter that focusses more on ott action than any kind of tactical manoeuvres, and is set in futuristic sci-fi environs; Black Ops is more down to earth, and requires a much more cautious type of gameplay whilst being set in real world environs; Borderlands is a sandbox shooter with role playing elements set in a post-apocalypse style world (well, a barren, lifeless planet at any rate) and rendered using cell-shading techniques and highly stylised visuals (it looks nothing like Black Ops).

On topic, 90% of what I've seen so far regarding Downpour gives me good vibes that this will be a game worthy of the Silent Hill title, sure there's some stuff that bugs me, but then there's some stuff that bugs me about every Sh title, so that's not too huge a deal. From what Vatra have shown us so far I'm feeling pretty positive. They seem to be taking heed of what the fans say, and being respectful of the series whilst trying to take things in a new direction. Also, Past Life was fantastic and as such I do have faith that Mr Waltz will provide an excellent story.
Too cold to start a fire
I'm burning diesel, burning dinosaur bones
I'll take the river down to still water
And ride a pack of dogs
Typographenia

Post by Typographenia »

David01 wrote:They both sound like they're just absolutely drug out and worn out.
That's just a result of game development, in general. It's a rough business.
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

stopped_clock wrote:^What you said about fps games could be said about any genre really, but the thing that seems odd to me is that you picked 3 fps titles that actually play incredibly differently; Halo is a run and gun shooter that focusses more on ott action than any kind of tactical manoeuvres, and is set in futuristic sci-fi environs; Black Ops is more down to earth, and requires a much more cautious type of gameplay whilst being set in real world environs; Borderlands is a sandbox shooter with role playing elements set in a post-apocalypse style world (well, a barren, lifeless planet at any rate) and rendered using cell-shading techniques and highly stylised visuals (it looks nothing like Black Ops).
To someone who doesn't like shooters, all shooters look the same. Hell, to me all HD games look the same. You can tell that I don't like HD. Or shooters.
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

^well you probably shouldn't speak about things you know very little about, cos you sound quite ignorant when talking about FPS games. saying that the genre lacks originality, when you don't even play games in that particular genre to begin with, makes no sense. the fact that you mistook Borderlands for Black Ops points out the fact that you don't know what you're talking about. plus, the three games you mentioned look nothing alike. at all

the FPS genere has a good deal of originality, and innovation. heck, the one game im most looking forward to this year is Rage (yes, more than Downpour), which is like an FPS/Rpg/Racing game.

anyhow, what do you mean you don't like HD? you mean you don't care for the next (current) gen consoles? you'd rather we go back to the days of PS2 and Xbox?
VenusDoom
Hope House Careworker

Post by VenusDoom »

I dont think its FPS's that are overtaking the market. i think it's online multiplayer, and FPS's use online multiplayer to the extreme.
Cry baby, cry baby, cry,<3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_DW9xJTX-4
I love the Silent Hill Series. The games: Homecoming, Origins, and Shattered Memories, did nothing wrong whatsoever, they were developed well, and did things different. Just because they were not by Team Silent doesn't mean that they're bad games. I believe in this series. I believe that one day, we can have a game that will make all Silent Hill fans Happy. I believe that Silent Hill Downpour can achieve this.
Team Silent may be gone, but their series isn't. Instead... it's here, it's alive.

If you agree, add it to your sig.
Kenji

Post by Kenji »

What Venus says is closer to the truth. Many FPS players I know tend to skip out on the campaign (or use it as a glorified tutorial) and focus on the multiplayer. It's fun to play with others, no matter the medium, and FPS tend to focus on that aspect. Is it any wonder that more people tend to have more fun with these?

Also, unless the developer aims to control the weapons loadout and ammunition count at all times, problems in FPS games tend to have multiple solutions. This allows the player to express his/her personality more and gives them the ability to craft those "I was so damn awesome" anecdotes for friends.