Downpour nominated by GT as "Disappointing"

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

Thor
Just Passing Through

Re: Downpour nominated by GT as "Disappointing"

Post by Thor »

Hydra 666 > Hopefully we get some good gameplay and a great story. I have a feeling this game will shock the masses and be the best Silent Hill since 2 and 3.
SilentWren
Historical Society Historian

Post by SilentWren »

I just don't understand what the point of announcing this so early is. After they play the completed game, they might like it. Jerks.
The above user visits this forum *very infrequently.* If you need any type of response or answer from her, she may or may not be able to provide it in a timely manner.

Thank you for understanding. <3

http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 28#p674128
VIVIsect

Post by VIVIsect »

I still think that some of you are kinda overlooking the fact that they're referring specifically to the E3 presentation/demo as being disappointing, not the actual finished game.
nobody is anybody
wonder's boy
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by wonder's boy »

VIVIsect wrote:I still think that some of you are kinda overlooking the fact that they're referring specifically to the E3 presentation/demo as being disappointing, not the actual finished game.
This is very true. I was compelled to look over my post again after reading this. :oops: Anyway, that being said, I'm still kind of stuck on how it made their disappointing games list for E3. I can see very basically why they feel this way from what the video commenter said. Yet, I just don't believe the demo and trailer looked even that disappointing. Then again, they obviously may have been expecting more or something different than what some of us here have been. Perhaps this is why I wasn't so let down by the E3 footage - my expectations are just too low! :mrgreen: Really though, what I've seen is pretty much what I was expecting, if slightly better and more unique visually.

In all reality, it's perfectly reasonable to be disappointed by a series sequel that has made it up as far as SH's.

By Downpour's time, many plot elements, character types, enemy types, gameplay aspects and much more have become cliche or overused through exposure in past SH games or other titles. This is kind of why I feel that the developers behind Downpourare taking some risks and trying do pull off a few daring gameplay and design elements, and in turn also part of why I feel pleased by what I've seen so far. It looks like there are certainly some familiar themes and gameplay styles going on, but I'm optimistic that the new twists and spirit being put into this game will keep it from falling into a cookie cutter category. I can imagine it'd be very difficult for a team to adhere to Silent Hill's atmosphere while trying to breathe fresh and interesting ideas into it through incorporating original and even experimental ideas and aspects.
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
SPRINGS02
Location: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.

Post by SPRINGS02 »

still think that some of you are kinda overlooking the fact that they're referring specifically to the E3 presentation/demo as being disappointing, not the actual finished game.
Exactly what i said, people are getting worked up over nothing. It's not like it was the greatest presentation of all time. Doesn't effect the actual game.
clips

Post by clips »

^^^True....they still have plenty of time to tighten things up between now and october....
Hydra666
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Hydra666 »

Fans are very suspicious towards this game because the piece of crap Homecoming was. I understand them on this point. But we can clearly see this game will probably stand up as a great SH game, for the main reason that the game's universe is completely new (Just like SH1,2,4 (silent hill 3 being SH1's sequel). This means, finally new monsters, new environments, new ambiance. I have high hopes toward this game.
pink_isnt_well000

Post by pink_isnt_well000 »

People have different reasons for being "suspicious" about this game. When did we assume everyone felt that way because of Homecoming? Must have missed that memo.
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

Amy wrote:People have different reasons for being "suspicious" about this game. When did we assume everyone felt that way because of Homecoming? Must have missed that memo.
Well, I don't know about everyone else, but Homecoming's the number one reason why I'M suspicious of this game.
Socially Awkward Penguin is my hero.
Bishop Sasarai

Post by Bishop Sasarai »

With the exceptions of new screens, music, dialogue, etc. I believe these sorts of previews should be ignored.

"Professional" sites/magazines tend to be quite bi-polar when it comes to previews and reviews. I've seen previews - where the game was played, mind you - that gushed about whatever games they were talking about, only for said games to get mediocre final review scores (Devil May Cry 2 comes to mind, as well as Enter the Matrix and Castlevania: Curse of Darkness). These serve little purpose beyond building unnecessary hype, followed by immense disappointment. I haven't seen too much of the opposite happening, but yeah - previews should be taken with a barrel of salt.

While I have near-zero interest in this game, I hope the final product turns out to be amazing.
"In relation to [animals], all people are Nazis; for the animals, it is an eternal Treblinka." - Isaac Bashevis Singer
--
Proud member of the Asiatic hordes. SEANZ.
Pleasant Sinner
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Pleasant Sinner »

No skin off my bones. People criticized Shattered Memories both before and after release, but it was an awesome addition (imo) to the series with its own charm. Take home point being that it's someone else's opinion on a PREVIEW. Give me the game and I'll decide if it's any good based on my experiences.
Kenji

Post by Kenji »

Wasn't Shattered Memories nominated "Best in Show" in E3?
Respect the Pod
Just Passing Through

Post by Respect the Pod »

I shall reserve judgment 'till I get my hands on the finished product. Let them badmouth the game, I honestly miss Silent Hill being obscure. Now everyone's heard of it, mostly because of the movie. I have had more disheartening conversations with people telling me how much they like Silent Hill only to find out they were referring to the movie than I care to remember.
I dreamed I was a butterfly, flitting around in the sky; then I awoke. Now I wonder: Am I a man who dreamt of being a butterfly, or am I a butterfly dreaming that I am a man?

-Zhuangzi
Lostkitsune

Post by Lostkitsune »

In my opinion, gametrailers is pretty horrible at everything besides trailers, so I will ignore this like I do all the reviews until I can judge the game for myself.
KoRn_Child
Just Passing Through

Post by KoRn_Child »

Hydra666 wrote:Of course, the game will be disappointing for a casual guy who is used to play Resident Evil or Dead space. fucking casual assholes.

Silent Hill is not about killing monsters, it's about a whole ambiance, a whole story.

I know this game will get shitty reviews by cap wearing, chicken eating, cheap beer drinking hillbillies when it will be out and honestly I don't care. I will read reviews written by real fans.

You're confusing "casual" with "mainstream".

Call of Duty, Halo, and Madden are mainstream games.
Wii Sports, FarmVille, and Doodle Jump are casual games.
How can I be lost if I've got nowhere to go?
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

"Wasn't Shattered Memories nominated "Best in Show" in E3?"

yeah, and i don't like that game at all.

Hydra, im sure your assumption is true for some fans, but not all.

I think i'll really like the game, but i've given up on trying to guess for the fanbase. we're all over the place on what makes a SH game, well, a SH game... so im pretty sure there's going to be a handful of folks who will hate Downpour. hopefully a good majority end up loving it, though.

as far as previews from sites go, they're just that, previews. i can't count how many times IGN, or some gaming site spoke positive about a game prior to release, only to trash the hell out of it in their final review. also, sometimes Demos just aren't very good.
clips

Post by clips »

as far as previews from sites go, they're just that, previews. i can't count how many times IGN, or some gaming site spoke positive about a game prior to release, only to trash the hell out of it in their final review. also, sometimes Demos just aren't very good.

True,....but sometimes you can't dismiss the previews...for the most part, i'll read the written preview and hold off on a true opinion until i can at least see a vid of the actual game...in this case with gametrailers, we've seen the game and while it is a preview, you can still get an idea of how the game will play.

I'm sure some improvements will be made, but for the most part, nothing major at this point is going to change...the art direction, character sets/levels...etc....my only gripe at the moment is the combat which looks annoying.
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

to be honest, they didn't show that much combat off at E3. plus, i think we only saw the one screamer enemy. i think the reason so many people fought with the screamers is because it was a demo. i mean, what else is there to do besides fight them? you can't exactly run away and progress through the game, and just avoiding the monsters for the entire demo isn't much fun. it also seemed pretty easy to get away from them too.

you're right about the art direction and stuff. that stuff won't change, but some things may get cut out, or characters could go under some kind of minor change. the only thing i'm hoping are changed are the screen blinking red whenever you're hit, and the "A" that pops up when you want to check something. hopefully there will at least be options to turn those things off.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

Skele wrote:to be honest, they didn't show that much combat off at E3. plus, i think we only saw the one screamer enemy. i think the reason so many people fought with the screamers is because it was a demo. i mean, what else is there to do besides fight them? you can't exactly run away and progress through the game, and just avoiding the monsters for the entire demo isn't much fun. it also seemed pretty easy to get away from them too.

you're right about the art direction and stuff. that stuff won't change, but some things may get cut out, or characters could go under some kind of minor change. the only thing i'm hoping are changed are the screen blinking red whenever you're hit, and the "A" that pops up when you want to check something. hopefully there will at least be options to turn those things off.
I'm guessing button prompts will get less obvious after a while; I remember them doing that in Shattered Memories.

I strongly agree with the flashing red screen, though. If it were only when you're low on health, that's one thing, but constantly doing it is distracting.
Interrupted.
Just Passing Through

Post by Interrupted. »

The Adversary wrote:DID YOU KNOW: Thomas Pynchon's masterpiece Gravity's Rainbow (1973) was nominated for the Pulitzer Prize for literature. The three-member jury for fiction agreed. The other eleven board members overturned the decision, saying the novel was unreadable. No novel received an award for fiction that year. Later, those board members who overturned the decision admitted to not even reading, or finishing, the novel.

The point: Who gives a fuck what a handful of reviewers think based solely on arguably 12% of a game? If I had to review Moby-Dick; or, The Whale (1953) based on a select 50 pages, I would think the novel's about different types of oars and how to remove the fat from whales.
This is the most epic thing I've read on this forum since my return. I mean, seriously, how do I link to a single post? I need this in my sig!

So, clunky combat? The end is neigh! Repent! The series known for its streamlined combat has taken a step backward! Oh, James, where are you and your moronic pipe swinging animation?