Downpour at Gamescom :: New - Aug 17th

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

Apocali
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Re: Downpour at Gamescom :: New - Aug 17th

Post by Apocali »

Typographenia wrote: Screenshot 1 (new character)
I didn't know Sazh hung around Silent Hill. :lol:
Typographenia
Historical Society Historian

Post by Typographenia »

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/08/17/th ... -downpour/

More new screenshots, primarily showcasing environments.
krakalackin
Gravedigger

Post by krakalackin »

It looks good, but some of the building look very European
Piramit Kafa
Just Passing Through

Post by Piramit Kafa »

Don't you think the places are way too ruined? I mean Homecoming was like this too and we barely found our way through. There wasn't much left to explore really. I think indoor places must be in a little better shape.
There was a SIGNATURE here. It's gone now.
redrum
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by redrum »

I don't mind them being ruined, the problem with Homecoming was the areas were ruined, but they set out in a way that made it look like a movie set

Also, updated demo gameplay
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVn30Y_wII8

- Polished combat (Screamer killed in 20-30 seconds)
- Better looking graphics than E3 demo
- Weapons now flash (this one could go either way, but I think it might prove useful)
- More character animations added
- Red mist isn't overly red all the time now
stopped_clock
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by stopped_clock »

Piramit Kafa wrote:Don't you think the places are way too ruined? I mean Homecoming was like this too and we barely found our way through. There wasn't much left to explore really. I think indoor places must be in a little better shape.
I know what you mean, that church seems to me like it would fit better in a Legacy of Kain game. It's a little too epic in both it's scale and the level of destruction for my liking. I prefer SH to be more low-key, the library and the flooded prison cells are more in keeping with what I've been hoping for.

EDIT: Regarding the new gameplay vid, I couldn't tell the difference between it and the old one. The combat looks the same to me, it just looks like the guy playing it was better than the previous players. I can't tell if there's any difference in the graphics either, although the video itself might be better quality.

Maybe I'm just really unobservant, but it just looks like the same demo to me.
Too cold to start a fire
I'm burning diesel, burning dinosaur bones
I'll take the river down to still water
And ride a pack of dogs
SilverWolfPet
Just Passing Through

Post by SilverWolfPet »

Did you guys notice the loading screen has a tiny new detail? :D On the logo, the clock handles (from the clocktower) actually turn! Hahah! Fun!
Piramit Kafa
Just Passing Through

Post by Piramit Kafa »

stopped_clock wrote: I know what you mean, that church seems to me like it would fit better in a Legacy of Kain game. It's a little too epic in both it's scale and the level of destruction for my liking. I prefer SH to be more low-key, the library and the flooded prison cells are more in keeping with what I've been hoping for.
Exactly. And I feel like we don't have any business with the place itself or it doesn't have a significance to the story. Rather, It's like a big action will take place soon and we're going to jump from side to side or have to kill a hundred enemies before the gates to escape open. But the library looks like a place we need to search and find clues about the story. It's more complete, explorable and looks smaller which is good 'cause big places aren't scary to me.

The new video looks the same to me too but at least we get to see some new stuff. I also like the fact that there are slopes and hills in Downpour. They remind me of the one in the beginning of Silent Hill 2.
Last edited by Piramit Kafa on 18 Aug 2011, edited 1 time in total.
There was a SIGNATURE here. It's gone now.
redrum
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by redrum »

In the new demo they've tidied up that horrid font, and the subtitles a bit too

Typographenia

Post by Typographenia »

Good!
I don't plan on playing with subtitles, but the way they were formatted before was ridiculous. I'm also liking that they bumped up the brightness on them some more. You know, since subtitles are there to be read.
redrum
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by redrum »

Look how much better the combat looks here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZlE60sGRvU

Glad they've added a block button too
krakalackin
Gravedigger

Post by krakalackin »

That's does like a lot better! And you can still foot stomp the monsters!
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

^ i didn't like what i saw from that vid. makes the monster look like a pushover. Murphy basically punched it like 8 times in a row until it died. reminds me of the old games where if you managed to get the first hit, all you had to do was mash the attack button until the monster died. lame.

oh well
thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by thy_butcher »

I think there was always a block button.
I swear I remember reading a long time ago the Downpour had a block button.
I think the video above showcasing the combat was being played by someone who didn't suck, as in the othe combat videos I've seen.

For Gamescom, I just think they added that tutorial message to let you know YOU CAN block. The same demo at E3 didn't have that pop-up message, so people didn't utilize it, hence the reasoning why their asses were handed to them.

I still hope I can turn off that ridiculous flashing effect for interactable items and weapons. That's what the button-prompts are for. Geez, it's overkill. If we can turn off button-prompts, we should be able to with the flashing effect as well.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>...wow. How did you notice that?<
It's my job to notice things.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
VenusDoom
Hope House Careworker

Post by VenusDoom »

^ even more reason for you to make SH videos. "The REALER Silent Hill Experience." :D x3
Cry baby, cry baby, cry,<3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_DW9xJTX-4
I love the Silent Hill Series. The games: Homecoming, Origins, and Shattered Memories, did nothing wrong whatsoever, they were developed well, and did things different. Just because they were not by Team Silent doesn't mean that they're bad games. I believe in this series. I believe that one day, we can have a game that will make all Silent Hill fans Happy. I believe that Silent Hill Downpour can achieve this.
Team Silent may be gone, but their series isn't. Instead... it's here, it's alive.

If you agree, add it to your sig.
EmilietheStrange
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by EmilietheStrange »

The game looks great so far. I'm not sure about the autosaving, though. I was hoping for individual save points. Oh well, it's not a deal breaker.
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

http://www.siliconera.com/postgallery/?p_gal=151209|12

Is that a picture of a familiar little girl's portrait seen in the first E3 trailer?

And zoom up and check out the clock writing on the wall behind the lamp. It seems like a puzzle!
redrum
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by redrum »

Skele wrote:^ i didn't like what i saw from that vid. makes the monster look like a pushover. Murphy basically punched it like 8 times in a row until it died. reminds me of the old games where if you managed to get the first hit, all you had to do was mash the attack button until the monster died. lame.

oh well
Wont be so easy with mobs of them :mrgreen:
ashatteredmemory
Gravedigger

Post by ashatteredmemory »

there's something very peculiar about the picture named silentd15, its some kind of weird mixture of theater with a prison, completed with strange contorting beams at the edges. theater in otherworld ?
"Grown-ups tell kids there's no such thing as monsters, that the Bogeyman is just make-believe, and there's nothing hiding under their beds, but that's a lie. Because I've seen 'em." - Murphy Pendleton