Silent Hill Downpour at Comic Con 2011

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

VIVIsect
Historical Society Historian

Re: Silent Hill Downpour at Comic Con 2011

Post by VIVIsect »

an a corpse cant laugh =) wrote:Anyone else notice the glitch that pops up?
its about 10 seconds in an its between murphy an the car
=/ lasts for about a mili second
It was leaf:

nobody is anybody
an a corpse cant laugh =)
Just Passing Through

Post by an a corpse cant laugh =) »

soam108 wrote:Based on this clip I watched on GameTrailers.....my optimism has gone way down.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/sdcc- ... ill/717972
Wow......that looks terrible :(
wheres the crazy silent hill soundtrack?
I thought the battle music sounded realy generic.
Whats with the button prompts everytime an enemy grabs murphy?
we dont need to see it everytime we are not stupid.
An the whole screaming thing with the strange sound waves....
like something out of god of war.
The monsters dont look scary they just seem annoying an like they
have dread locks or something.
My hopes for this game have gone way down.

ETA:
Oh! an thanks VIVIsect ^ ^
was wondering what that was haha
thought i was seeing things

MOD EDIT: Do not double post. Use the EDIT button. -HG
Last edited by an a corpse cant laugh =) on 25 Jul 2011, edited 1 time in total.
Hydra666
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Hydra666 »

The enemies are so fucking annoying. And how are we supposed to flee from the screamers if they keep screaming at us, making us unable to move? The music is pretty good, but not great,

The overall atmosphere seems interesting but for some reasons I'm sure Murphy died from the beginning in the bus crash. That seems obvious. I hope not.
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

Ugh. Is that the only way Screamers appear? Right behind your shoulder when you're about to enter a new area? Seems that way. I hope it's not like that. I'm not impressed with the combat and the Screamer enemy so far. I understand that it's supposed to be hard to fight, but making the creatures overly aggressive is a bad choice--however, maybe that's done on purpose considering it is a demo after all. I just don't like it (the combat) so far. And we need some more music. I hope they polish up 200x more. Overall, I don't like what I see, and I was very optimistic about the combat. Looks like they're focusing more on making us run away if the normal/common enemies are like boss fights.

And yes, the thing about the narration/voice-over seeming dubbed is completely true. I guess it's because Murphy doesn't move as much and you can actually see his face not moving to the audio, whereas in Shattered Memories you couldn't see Harry's face which made it more realistic when you heard him murmur. I also think Murphy's acting is overdone if he talks to himself in the manner which he does right now...for example: "what the hell's going on here? Where am I?" done in that boring and confused tone right after being chased after The Void is not what I would say if I were in that situation.

So far, I'm planning to set the difficulty on Easy and puzzle mode on Hard if this is what the game is like.
Last edited by simeonalo on 25 Jul 2011, edited 2 times in total.
Tabris
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Tabris »

I love the otherworld and the weird mist chase scenes. I'm really excited for that. Plus the talk with the postman was intriguing.

The combat and monsters seem kind of annoying. Looks like it'll take a bit of getting used to.

Though, Silent Hill is of course never really about the combat, so I like how it seems difficult. It'll keep me on guard the first few playthroughs.

That's one thing I enjoyed about Homecoming (though it was a little too combat oriented, it was a nice change), was always feeling ridiculously on guard. I felt like I was gonna die any second constantly. Hopefully this will have a good balance of that, without getting too combat oriented.

I also don't mind the breakable weapons. I didn't mind that about Origins but it got pretty absurd sometimes.
Kenji

Post by Kenji »

Wow, this really does seem like the synthesis of all three Western Silent Hill games. We've got fisticuffs and breakable weapons, an adventuring style similar to Homecoming, and an over-the-shoulder camera and chase sequences like Shattered Memories. This could either unite into an awesome game, or feel like a bunch of disparate pieces smashed together at random.

I don't see much wrong with it, so far. Of course, it's hard to tell with YouTube videos. I'd have to play it myself, at night, with the lights out and volume up, to know for sure.

Gotta admit, that part kinda sucks, when it comes to this series.
krakalackin
Gravedigger

Post by krakalackin »

leftshoe18 wrote: Dark Combat Gameplay
I really hope the person playing the game really sucks or is playing on hard. Also, In the video at about 2:38, Murphy picks up First Aid Kit. The sound is the exact same sound made in Silent Hill 2 when you pick up an item.

Silent Hill 2 item pick up sound. Sound can be heard at 2:45.
Vestu
Just Passing Through

Post by Vestu »

simeonalo wrote:
And yes, the thing about the narration/voice-over seeming dubbed is completely true. I guess it's because Murphy doesn't move as much and you can actually see his face not moving to the audio, whereas in Shattered Memories you couldn't see Harry's face which made it more realistic when you heard him murmur. I also think Murphy's acting is overdone if he talks to himself in the manner which he does right now...for example: "what the hell's going on here? Where am I?" done in that boring and confused tone right after being chased after The Void is not what I would say if I were in that situation.
= He's not talking to himself. It's Murphy's thoughts that the player is hearing. Like in MacGyver.
Just passing through since 2007.
Typographenia

Post by Typographenia »

krakalackin wrote:I really hope the person playing the game really sucks or is playing on hard.
Gametrailer's videos tend to have people play that always seem like they only started playing games last week. I'm hoping that's the main problem here.

There's so many things wrong with the combat scenario in that video, though.
- The music/noises do nothing for the tension we're likely supposed to feel.
- The screen going red, obscuring an already really, really dark environment isn't a good thing. I couldn't even tell what was going on half of the time. This is a direct feed, isn't it?
- Open environment with tons of items around doesn't make it seem like a fight for your life, just a "try out this item, or maybe this one."
- Is this recharging health or something (I seriously don't know)? Murphy's demeanor only appeared to have two modes- "fine" and "I sprang my ankle." Is there not a better method of visual feedback for the player, or was the difficult level cranked so far down that we just weren't seeing them?

Keeping fingers crossed...
krakalackin
Gravedigger

Post by krakalackin »

He picks up a first aid kit in the video, so I don't think it's a recharging health system. I don't think I've ever played a game that had both.
stopped_clock
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by stopped_clock »

^Pretty sure this has both, but health only recharges if it is really, really low, and if you are in safety for a long period, it also only recharges a small amount, not back to full health, you'll have to rely on health kits for that. They say as much in one of the gameplay demo/interview vids.
Too cold to start a fire
I'm burning diesel, burning dinosaur bones
I'll take the river down to still water
And ride a pack of dogs
krakalackin
Gravedigger

Post by krakalackin »

Come to think of it MGS3 or 4 had rations and recharge. Anyway I guess that it's okay to have both. On the other hand I think it's going to kill some of the suspense and dread of running out of health.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

They've stated before that the combat difficulty and amount of monsters was ramped up for the demo.
Harrys_Girl

Post by Harrys_Girl »

stopped_clock wrote:^Pretty sure this has both, but health only recharges if it is really, really low, and if you are in safety for a long period, it also only recharges a small amount, not back to full health, you'll have to rely on health kits for that. They say as much in one of the gameplay demo/interview vids.

Both? Really? How the fuck is that going to work out. I wonder if it won't be like the Stamina System of SH:0rigins. You could either waste an item or just run through the pain, which I always did. Fuck you Travis! RUN THROUGH THE PAIN!!!! I don't like the recharging health system personally, but I've played enough games that implement it to have gotten used to attackattackattackOKnowrunaroundacornerandhideuntilthecontrollerstopsvibrating style.
thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by thy_butcher »

It all still looks fine to me. The Rompers in SH1 were just as annoying as the Screamers seem to be.
As Yuki said, certain things were tweaked for the demo. We might not even see that area in the full game. It could be an encounter built for displaying the combat.
I do not mind the recharge & health pick-up combo. They just need to make sure that it's balanced well. I want to NEED health pick-ups.

I've seen gameplay vids of the exact same area (Who hasn't?) where the player was actually fighting well. I think that person just sucks.
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

Vestu wrote:
simeonalo wrote:
= He's not talking to himself. It's Murphy's thoughts that the player is hearing. Like in MacGyver.
Excuse me, then. I feel stupid *blush*
Tillerman
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Tillerman »

I was at Comic Con, but I didn't have a chance to check it out. I think it's hard to really judge anything from these demos, especially considering that a lot of things might change before the game is finalized.
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

Here's a video of various things from the Konami booth. The third segment is on Silent Hill: Downpour. Nothing new at all is revealed, though they do say the "This Winter" release estimate instead of October.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkvB6VgCjj0