simeonalo
Historical Society Historian

New Downpour Details

Post by simeonalo »

stopped_clock
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Re: New Downpour Details

Post by stopped_clock »

Looks like I'll be playing on hard then.
Too cold to start a fire
I'm burning diesel, burning dinosaur bones
I'll take the river down to still water
And ride a pack of dogs
an a corpse cant laugh =)
Just Passing Through

Post by an a corpse cant laugh =) »

stopped_clock wrote:Looks like I'll be playing on hard then.
Same here.
Why not put the option to toggle
the button prompts off for all difficulty settings?
im getting more an more fustrated with the way this games going.
Kenji

Post by Kenji »

I may be misinterpreting, but I really want the Sexy Beam to return. :) Travis was the one who needed it, but I think I can settle for the deadpan criminal.
Vestu
Just Passing Through

Post by Vestu »

Tweaking the combat might just save this game.
Just passing through since 2007.
VIVIsect

Post by VIVIsect »

They had better do some tweaking with the combat, because so far it looks like another obnoxious Homecoming hack 'n' slash clusterfuck.
nobody is anybody
Mr.FLOOT
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Mr.FLOOT »

It's nice how they are listening to us. Most game companies wouldn't tweak things, at least not this late in the development stage. Lets just hope their tweaking doesn't cause loads of bugs or mess up the game in any way.
Typographenia

Post by Typographenia »

^At the current date vs. the supposed release time, they should be almost entirely focused on fine tuning at this point. Tweaks are what it's going to be about all the way up until the game goes gold, and even then they might start work on a patch.

Hahahaha!
Oh, sorry, the idea of Konami patching something of theirs cracked me up.
Harrys_Girl

Post by Harrys_Girl »

I may explode so just fair warning.

I really hate when games forcibly try to wedge the replay value up a notch by putting setting they know people are going to want on the Hard or Extra Hard levels. It does not impress me in one bit. I've never once felt the need to play the game for the gameplay difficult. That is NOT Silent Hill. If I want to play a game for the gameplay I will go play Army of Two on Hard again. I play Silent Hill for the fucking story, atmosphere and intricate, voyeuristic look into other people's lives and minds. Taking something like the knowledge that pressing the action button will cause an action to happen and making a player jump through hoops to prove that we are not all bumbling idiots or new to gaming is a ridiculous ploy. It is totally w/o merit and frankly, if you didn't notice, pisses me the fuck off.
Now, I don't mind playing through the game again to get extra scenes, endings, items, etc. but just to get the ability to change a setting that I should be allowed to change anyway is stupid. It got on my nerves in past games, but at least there was the knowledge that I could play through on Easy then Normal would be sans Static Filter. This is something that is minor and yet massive. Settings are not something that you can easily ignore or play the game w/o, they basically ARE the fucking game.

Just-- stupid. This is stupid. I hate that games have decided that players have gotten stupider over the past 5 yr.s or so and now every game feels the need to light up sirens and neon signs just to open a door. I got through games before now and I'll continue to be able to get through games w/o any deus ex machina. Nothing irks me quite as much as subtle hints from game creators that they believe the players are fucking morons.
Aspiring_Failure
Just Passing Through

Post by Aspiring_Failure »

I don't think the combat looked too awful, and for one prefered SH5's skill-oriented, fast paced combat to the horrible mess of waiting and swinging that was previous SH games.

But it still looked too loose and annoying, glad they're tweaking it.

The button prompts thing is just stupid. It's great that it can be toggled, but allowing it only on hard mode is, as the above poster said, an insult to players. Hope that changes. 'Specially 'cause button prompts break immersion and I'm most certainly not gonna be playing on hard.
Yeah, ...I'm that awesome.
sorata
Gravedigger

Post by sorata »

More screen shots:

dr bones
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by dr bones »

Am I the only person who's happy there's even an option to toggle the annoying prompts at all? The past few games have lacked it. Hell, most games that feature them surprisingly lack the ability to disable them.

Honestly though, I'm a little biased... I usually stick to hard mode.

That being said, I agree... I'm glad they're tweaking the combat a bit. My cautious hope for this game definitely faltered a bit after watching some of the recent gameplay videos that have been released featuring combat against the screamers or whatever they're called. The way they spam that immobilizing attack and take 14,000 hits from a wooden chair to die looked a little... eh, iffy.
"Fault always lies in the same place, my fine babies: with him weak enough to lay blame."
"The lies and the mist are not they but I. You all know that I am One. Yes, and the One is I."
stopped_clock
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by stopped_clock »

sorata wrote:More screen shots:

OH HAI JOSH!
Too cold to start a fire
I'm burning diesel, burning dinosaur bones
I'll take the river down to still water
And ride a pack of dogs
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

yeah, i guess i'll be playing on hard as well... but maybe if the fans here bitch enough, they'll allow the toggle option for other difficulties as well :p

im glad they're tweaking the combat. imo it almost appeared as if they had taken a step back from Homecoming, and made Murphy less mobile so that it's harder to evade attacks. granted, you can always run away, but i'd also like to be able to dodge, or simply block an attack and then run away as well. hopefully that option is already in the game, but if not, i hope it's one of the things they're adding. either way, combat didn't look too bad, and im excited for this game.
krakalackin
Gravedigger

Post by krakalackin »

stopped_clock wrote:
sorata wrote:More screen shots:

OH HAI JOSH!
Damn you beat me to it! That's the twisted looking kid from one of the trailers. He doesn't appear to be nice/normal(in the trailer) like Laura. Hmm..What did twisted kid do?
Last edited by krakalackin on 26 Jul 2011, edited 1 time in total.
CrypticIdentity
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by CrypticIdentity »

^ Look at the part in his hair. It may be very little to go on, but even if it wasn't there, I'd still think this looks like Murphy as a kid. The close up of Murphy in the bars of the door makes me think he's either looking in on a flashback (more likely, with the way the kid's playing with the car) or the kid may have a similar function to young Walter in SH4. I'm leaning toward the flashback theory.

Then again, the suspenders do make his clothing look kind of dated... I dunno, I'm still thinking it's young Murphy.
krakalackin
Gravedigger

Post by krakalackin »

Well Howard has been in Silent Hill for at least 144 years so the little boy maybe another "immortal" character. I still don't understand what direction they're going in with Howard. Haven't really heard any good theories either.
Last edited by krakalackin on 26 Jul 2011, edited 1 time in total.
Vestu
Just Passing Through

Post by Vestu »

The kid is playing with a car and Murphy throws a comment about a car even in a very eerie and confusing situation. My sherlockian senses tell me that the kid is indeed Murphy as a kid.
Just passing through since 2007.
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

Vestu wrote:The kid is playing with a car and Murphy throws a comment about a car even in a very eerie and confusing situation. My sherlockian senses tell me that the kid is indeed Murphy as a kid.
That's a very good point. That and the previous mention that he looks kind of like Murphy make it seem like that may indeed be the case.
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

oh god, i see i need to stay away from this section of the board before Downpours release. i hate when folks just throw out theories, which may possibly ruin any kind of surprise the game has in store.