Murphy Pendleton... Identity theft...? [Theory]

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

Trauma_
Gravedigger

Murphy Pendleton... Identity theft...? [Theory]

Post by Trauma_ »

This is extremely baseless speculation, be forewarned...

Well, J.P said before killing himself "murder is a mortal sin, you go to hell for murder", and something about ", How about you Murphy, someone know all your dirty little secrets, living all your life inside someone else's lie" .

So bear with me on this, just something I thought of today.

Maybe Murphy had committed some sort of identity theft or something like that along with a ton of other assorted stuff) and that's why he was sent to prison, and it turns out it was J.P. he was impersonating, so J.P.could have been wrongly accused of something Murphy had done, and had to also bare the weight of Murphy's crimes for a bit. Hell for all we know the J.P. we see in the trailer could just be a manifestation of him, and he had so much weight from Murphy's crimes that he resorted to killing himself (as demonstrated in the trailer by him jumping off that railing), and the manifestation was just a reminder of what he did. We already know the town is capable of making someone relive their crimes over and over as demonstrated in SH2. And the producers HAVE said that 2 was their main influence on a number of occasions

Now on to the "murder" bit. I don't think Murphy literally killed someone, but the resulting bullshit J.P. had to go through as a result of Murphy once again-forced him to kill himself, so he indirectly killed him. This brings me to this...

You see scribblings like "He has to pay" and "Alone" and "Forgotten" and stuff like that. Now I think this is J.P.'s family's feelings towards Murphy after finding out why he killed himself. And the latest prison visit was because of such identity theft. And in some cases it can be a federal crime, you can face 3, 6, 10, 15, 20, up to 40 years depending on the severity of it. Murphy could have been unaware of just how bad it was and when the bus crashed in Silent Hill, that's when the. ahem... excrement it the air conditioner. When J.P. is talking to Murphy he seemed to have a great amount of vitriol and anger in the tone of his voice.

Once again, the only base for this speculation is in the E3 2011 trailer at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLruIB8fZpY
0:59 -How about you Murphy...
2:05- Murder's a mortal sin...

Just interested to know everyone's thoughts on this.
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Re: Murphy Pendleton... Identity theft...? [Theory]

Post by AuraTwilight »

Nice theory.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Trauma_
Gravedigger

Post by Trauma_ »

Thanks. Most people I've seen think that he was wrongly convicted or something like that but I'm calling bullshit on that. It's way too comfortable for a Silent Hill game. Especially after what we've seen demonstrated from the Past Life comic.
PoemOfTheLastMoment
Gravedigger

Post by PoemOfTheLastMoment »

Nice theory..but it sounds too tame for a Silent Hill game....
Now I Know, The Real Reason Why I Came To This Town....I Wonder....What Was I Afraid Of? Without You..I've Got Nothing...Now, We Can Be Together Again.....Mary.....
Trauma_
Gravedigger

Post by Trauma_ »

PoemOfTheLastMoment wrote:Nice theory..but it sounds too tame for a Silent Hill game....
Too tame for a Silent Hill game? Don't take this the wrong way (this isn't some butthurt rant by any means) but if anything the main character causing another persons suicide is treading territory that the series has never even had the balls to take before. Yeah sure, Angela killed herself, but James didn't even have anything to do with it other than Angela being nuts and thinking James was her mother at one point, the point of my theory is that Murphy may have had a direct hand in the suicide of J.P. and he caused someone that much anguish to take that step, and therefore has to witness first hand the consequences of his actions (as usual), I don't think you're thinking about what that would do to a person, knowing you were directly responsible for someones death/suicide, which once again- the series hasn't had the balls to take that sort of direction before.

The best part about this theory is that you don't have to stop there with the games story line, there's still the connection to the Past Life comics, and those children we see in the trailer there's still plenty of breathing room to flesh out the story.

I'm not saying this theory is right by any means, it's more of a matter of us not knowing enough for this to be proven wrong and I'm sure it will be proven wrong somewhere down the line.
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

Well I can't base much thoughts on it because it sounds improbable (yet well thought out) and because it's based on speculation as you've stated...therefore creating a whole speculation thread which we have a lot of. However, I admire the work you've done and I'm looking forward to the game.
Severeth
Gravedigger

Post by Severeth »

Seems like a good theory but I'm not overly sure about it. From what I've observed so far, Murphy strikes me as a particularly manipulative type; I think it's possible that he could have possibly helped to come up with somekind of scheme that ruined some lives; something less than legal, like a pyramid (no pun) scheme gone bad. At the moment though, I really don't know what to think; the cutscenes we've seen have been so jumbled, I don't know how I can put them together.
I have a Youtube account where I sometimes post SH related videos. www.youtube.com/user/severeth

http://www.last.fm/user/Severeth
TANK
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by TANK »

I think it is going to be more like, he killed some people, then assumed a victims identity to try and make it all go away. just like the movie "A History Of Violence" with Viggo Mortenson
It's a world of someone's nightmarish dillusions come to life.
Vestu
Just Passing Through

Post by Vestu »

Sounds like a good theory but there is surely more into it.
Just passing through since 2007.
Trauma_
Gravedigger

Post by Trauma_ »

Vestu wrote:Sounds like a good theory but there is surely more into it.
That's what I mean when I say there's plenty of more room to stick more of a back story in there, that could just be one piece of the puzzle. Of course this piece may not even exist at all...
CandyLander
Just Passing Through

Post by CandyLander »

yes, but the monsters have nothing to do with those stuff you said

that is a good idea for an other silent hill game

but i don't think that's the plot of downpour
Have you seen a little girl? Short, black hair. Seven years old...
Trauma_
Gravedigger

Post by Trauma_ »

CandyLander wrote:yes, but the monsters have nothing to do with those stuff you said

Care to elaborate?
Chris Redfield
Just Passing Through

Post by Chris Redfield »

@Trauma_ Hmm... I like what I'm hearing here! Have you also noticed the prisioner number on Murphy's outfit? #RS 273A? I was looking over it on the SH Wiki when it mentioned "California's 273A Penal Code, which pertains to the murder and assault of children." And it's also noted that in the TGS trailer, he was wearing a different number(OP11-752). As to how these relate to your theroy, you tell me. Just something I thought I'd point out, and this seemed liked the right thread to do it in. Hell, in the midst of all of this, it really does make you wonder just what the fuck is going on in this game...
Last edited by Chris Redfield on 02 Dec 2011, edited 1 time in total.

Yep. Just another day in Silent Hill...
CandyLander
Just Passing Through

Post by CandyLander »

Trauma_ wrote:
CandyLander wrote:yes, but the monsters have nothing to do with those stuff you said

Care to elaborate?
ok...

james spanked J.P's daughter or wife, and she screamed a lot (that explains the screamer)

she was in a so bad state that she had to use a weel chair (that explains the weel chair thing)

and then J.P feeling really bad suicided, jumping on the sea

that explains the water theme

don't even answer me... :mrgreen:
Last edited by CandyLander on 02 Dec 2011, edited 2 times in total.
Have you seen a little girl? Short, black hair. Seven years old...
pink_isnt_well000

Post by pink_isnt_well000 »

I'll answer you. Make a post like this again and see what happens.