Downpour Difficulty System Explained at PAX.

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Re: Downpour Difficulty System Explained at PAX.

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

Hey that's cool! This way I can set the riddles on hard and feel a since of accomplishment for the ones I'm able to get, then set the difficulty lower when it's just blocking my progress of the game and making it un-fun.
Socially Awkward Penguin is my hero.
angelofROOM302
Historical Society Historian

Post by angelofROOM302 »

I'm gonna play on Easy! :)
KageReneko
Subway Guard

Post by KageReneko »

So... We will have puzzle difficulties again?? I ALREADY LOVE DOWNPOUR!!!
Yekoto
Just Passing Through

Post by Yekoto »

Typographenia wrote:It sounds like it's following the older method of play, with the separate sliders, and the ability to change them mid-game is a welcome change.
I agree that it would be nice. I have a habbit of refusing to look up the answer to a puzzle of I am stumped and SH3's hospital keypad peom puzzle was the king of that. Being able to lower the difficulty one notch if you get stumped and then re-raise it doesn't seem it will take away that much, other then maybe your pride.

Though, I guess it all depends on what hurts your pride more; Looking up the answer or having to lower the difficulty.

One thing I don't understand with the interview though.
So, we need different clues for different level of puzzles. I was able to write normal level for puzzles and then the easy level written as if a child had written the clue and the hard level written like an adult written the clue. It’s kind of fun to explore different ways when you’re writing three different versions of the same document."
Tomm is an adult.
So his normal level of writing it would be "on an adult level".
But then he says hard level written like an adult would.

just might be misunderstanding this part.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

Yekoto wrote:
Typographenia wrote:It sounds like it's following the older method of play, with the separate sliders, and the ability to change them mid-game is a welcome change.
I agree that it would be nice. I have a habbit of refusing to look up the answer to a puzzle of I am stumped and SH3's hospital keypad peom puzzle was the king of that. Being able to lower the difficulty one notch if you get stumped and then re-raise it doesn't seem it will take away that much, other then maybe your pride.

Though, I guess it all depends on what hurts your pride more; Looking up the answer or having to lower the difficulty.

One thing I don't understand with the interview though.
So, we need different clues for different level of puzzles. I was able to write normal level for puzzles and then the easy level written as if a child had written the clue and the hard level written like an adult written the clue. It’s kind of fun to explore different ways when you’re writing three different versions of the same document."
Tomm is an adult.
So his normal level of writing it would be "on an adult level".
But then he says hard level written like an adult would.

just might be misunderstanding this part.
I think what he means is the simplicity. One clue might wind up being something a child would be able to understand--something fairly straightforward--whereas it would be more complex/less spoon-fed on a harder difficulty.
silenthell88
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by silenthell88 »

I always set the riddles to the easiest option. lol
Typographenia

Post by Typographenia »

Yuki wrote:I think what he means is the simplicity. One clue might wind up being something a child would be able to understand--something fairly straightforward--whereas it would be more complex/less spoon-fed on a harder difficulty.
As long as puzzles aren't on the same level of Shattered Memories' "puzzles," I'll be pretty happy.
Rather disappointing when every obstacle's solution is located within the same room, and it usually involves moving things haphazardly.
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

^ Yeah, on hard mode we'd better need to know some Shakespeare or something!
Socially Awkward Penguin is my hero.
Falconv1.0
Gravedigger

Post by Falconv1.0 »

Would be hilarious if they pulled a genuine Shakespeare and made up words.
Your weaboo is showing
LSSJGamer
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by LSSJGamer »

I want it to be so hard its easy and then hard again. Oh wait that 2nd hard was just me. Sorry peoples.
*Insert Legendary signature here*
VenusDoom
Hope House Careworker

Post by VenusDoom »

Doctor Eggnog wrote:^ Yeah, on hard mode we'd better need to know some Shakespeare or something!
Falconv1.0 wrote:Would be hilarious if they pulled a genuine Shakespeare and made up words.
And on easy mode you would need an extensive knowledge of Doctor Seuss.
"One fish two fish, dead fish you fish," "What the hell? Why are these eggs green... and why does this key have a cat on it and that lock have a hat etched into the door?"
Cry baby, cry baby, cry,<3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_DW9xJTX-4
I love the Silent Hill Series. The games: Homecoming, Origins, and Shattered Memories, did nothing wrong whatsoever, they were developed well, and did things different. Just because they were not by Team Silent doesn't mean that they're bad games. I believe in this series. I believe that one day, we can have a game that will make all Silent Hill fans Happy. I believe that Silent Hill Downpour can achieve this.
Team Silent may be gone, but their series isn't. Instead... it's here, it's alive.

If you agree, add it to your sig.
Falconv1.0
Gravedigger

Post by Falconv1.0 »

Actually on easy mode it'll say "Red fish blue fuck it" and the door will open. Along with "there's waldo" with a bigass red arrow pointing to the correct answer on a puzzle.
Your weaboo is showing
AdamMosh
Just Passing Through

Post by AdamMosh »

another reason to not buy Downpour Tom Hulett's puzzles
death is in my blood
phantomess
Moderator & Cult Member
Moderator & Cult Member

Post by phantomess »

Both of these posts amused me greatly-
He's human. The same kind of bipedal creature that came up with all of the previous SH puzzles.
What the hell are you smoking? Everyone knows the original Silent Hills were the products of GODS descending down to breathe digital awesome into our gaming consoles. We're not worthy, which is why they doth departed.
Who needs to watch comedy on TV when we have this (much better) forum? :P

Anyway, I think separate options for combat and puzzle difficulty are awesome, even though I'll choose Normal/Medium for both, as always. At least for the first couple of playthroughs.
Also, what Tomm said about the puzzle difficulty setting affecting the level of critical thinking for the game in general, not just in puzzles... THAT'S sexy!
Harrys_Girl

Post by Harrys_Girl »

^^Pretty much that. Most all of it--especially the sexy part. :wink:

I am extremely happy that the riddle and puzzle difficulties are split again. It was one of the best elements in SH2 and 3 to me. Sometimes I like to play like a pussy and go for Easy mode on action, but I want it rough and dirty for the puzzles.
NemesisFY
Just Passing Through

Post by NemesisFY »

Harrys_Girl wrote:^^Pretty much that. Most all of it--especially the sexy part. :wink:

I am extremely happy that the riddle and puzzle difficulties are split again. It was one of the best elements in SH2 and 3 to me. Sometimes I like to play like a pussy and go for Easy mode on action, but I want it rough and dirty for the puzzles.
I like that feature as well, although I always play both on normal.

=D
isaacrood
Just Passing Through

Post by isaacrood »

Wow! I am going to have the puzzle on hard, Not a fan of combat... So possibly normal. If you can't do a puzzle, Then you would usually be screwed in Silent Hill. Not anymore, Mid-game change... I really hope Downpour will be a good game.. :)
Hello, New to the forum, Glad to be here!! :)