6 Minute Playthrough in Mines (SPOILERS)

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

Axel_98
Cafe5to2 Waitress

6 Minute Playthrough in Mines (SPOILERS)

Post by Axel_98 »

http://n4g.com/news/838874/silent-hill- ... of-footage

I gotta say i'm really looking forward to this game. I like how items are highlighted and the combat looks pretty fluid. The only thing I don't like so far in this video is 1)The Monster and 2) The red screen/tint when the monster hits you. Kinda lame.

Can anyone translate btw?
~The Bird of Hermes is My Name; Eating My Wings to Make Me Tame~
VIVIsect
Historical Society Historian

Re: 6 Minute Playthrough in Mines (SPOILERS)

Post by VIVIsect »

That big hulking monster looks like something from the early screens of Origins. And the combat still looks obnoxious.
nobody is anybody
dr bones
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by dr bones »

I've heard in another thread where this video is posted that this footage is 5-6 months old, though I can't confirm if it's true.

I certainly hope so, based on the way that enemy glitched out at about 2:42 when it jumped onto the ceiling of the mine and just kind of spazzed and blipped out of existence. That looked terrible.

I have to agree with what was said in the other thread about the lack of darkness. What the hell is up with the lighting? Way too bright for an underground mine. Really lays a devastating blow to the fear factor. Think of how much better this would look it it was almost pitch black, with nothing but the flickering incandescence of a lighter to guide you. Throw in some fog rolling through around your legs, and you've hit the official Silent Hill G-spotâ„¢.

Wait... darkness, fog.... Shouldn't those be prerequisites for a Silent Hill game?

[disclaimer] I am not a SH:D troll. I'm looking forward to this game. I just really hope this is old footage, because after watching it my hope is ever-so-slightly beginning to wane...
"Fault always lies in the same place, my fine babies: with him weak enough to lay blame."
"The lies and the mist are not they but I. You all know that I am One. Yes, and the One is I."
clips
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by clips »

Since i'm at work i really can't download pics...but if you read this thread from the Helldescent forums, this particular member gave an honest argument about the lighting that was seen in the earlier games compared to what we're seeing now....and i agree with him.

I know we haven't seen the finished product yet, but when you see the older games compared to downpour currently...the lighting and art-direction still looks amazingly better....still lookin' forward to downpour tho...

http://helldescent.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10464
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

Yuki wrote:
Hydra666 wrote:
Dragonforce1080p wrote:Just FYI, that footage is about 5-6 months old.
I don't think this is true. This footage has better graphics than the E3 version and 6 months ago those white monstere where not revealed yet. Plus, the fighting looks better than the e3 version and if this was 6 months ago, why haven't we seen it back then?
They have outright stated that it is old footage.

Already posted in the other thread, and it's confirmed as old footage.

And plus, the Weeping Bat featured in the gameplay video is not as polished and grotesque as the ones featured in the latest E3 trailer, unless those are two different creatures, which is unlikely.
arthurdepr
Just Passing Through

Post by arthurdepr »

It's something really silly, but I think that if the hits had that feeling of "impact", the combat would look better. I don't know, it looks like Murphy is beating nothing, just swinging the weapons around. Other than that, the light in this mine really bothers me. Everything is way TOO damn bright. Hell, even the apartmens in Silent Hill 2 were darker, and we're talking about an underground mine here.

But I still look forward to the game... I don't have those high expectatios, though.
~ Evil shall with evil be expelled. ~
Monster
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Monster »

I'm glad other people see the lighting problem.

Monster on monster:

I think it just needs to be more abstract, right now it looks like it could have come from a sci-fi vampire movie. I think a comparable monster from the past games is the Mandarin, since it's long limbed and climbs on the ceiling. Those things didn't look natural, they looked like weird apes made of dirty fabric. They didn't even have fingers to grip with, which made them all the more mysterious looking. I guess a good way to describe a Silent Hill monster is that it should look like it could only have been made in someone's mind, rather than just being some kind of mutant. Like shifting images in dreams, they are covered with bizarre fusions of clothing and flesh, their figures are a fusion of mostly human anatomy and geometric shapes
"Star Wars is like the thing that isn't remotely cool anymore but that nobody will stop talking about of my generation" -Me.
stopped_clock

Post by stopped_clock »

^I agree with this, they should look biologically non-viable, so far it looks like the Downpour monster designers are thinking about things in the wrong way, they seem to be designing creatures that look as if they are the product of evolution rather than manifestations of a troubled mind.
Too cold to start a fire
I'm burning diesel, burning dinosaur bones
I'll take the river down to still water
And ride a pack of dogs
PoemOfTheLastMoment
Gravedigger

Post by PoemOfTheLastMoment »

You can see from the gameplay above that they are closely trying to resemble the aesthetic design of Silent Hill 2.....even the slow framerate makes it feel like a ps2 game.....

Let's hope the influence of SH2 doesnt just end with it's aesthetics and instead gives a story worth re-playing over and over again....
Now I Know, The Real Reason Why I Came To This Town....I Wonder....What Was I Afraid Of? Without You..I've Got Nothing...Now, We Can Be Together Again.....Mary.....
SGTCOOL
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by SGTCOOL »

Slightly old footage or not this game looks more and more bland the more I see it. The jump scare set pieces are lame and reminiscent of Homecoming/failure. Hopefully it sucks SO bad that I can have $60 worth of laughter at least.
PoemOfTheLastMoment
Gravedigger

Post by PoemOfTheLastMoment »

SGTCOOL wrote:Slightly old footage or not this game looks more and more bland the more I see it. The jump scare set pieces are lame and reminiscent of Homecoming/failure. Hopefully it sucks SO bad that I can have $60 worth of laughter at least.

Let's hope that isn't the case, for the sake of this series that is already on life-support..

stopped_clock wrote:^I agree with this, they should look biologically non-viable, so far it looks like the Downpour monster designers are thinking about things in the wrong way, they seem to be designing creatures that look as if they are the product of evolution rather than manifestations of a troubled mind.

I dont care how biologically feasible they look...they just have to fit in with the context of the story.....
Now I Know, The Real Reason Why I Came To This Town....I Wonder....What Was I Afraid Of? Without You..I've Got Nothing...Now, We Can Be Together Again.....Mary.....
stopped_clock

Post by stopped_clock »

^Fair enough, I just feel that there a tonne of games out their with creatures that look like this, Silent Hill's unique creature design was one of the best things about the series, and one of the things that has always set it apart from other games. For me, that usp is gone when the monsters are Balverines from Fable.
Too cold to start a fire
I'm burning diesel, burning dinosaur bones
I'll take the river down to still water
And ride a pack of dogs
The_Journeyman
Just Passing Through

Post by The_Journeyman »

The demo in hq. it looks a lot better and darker. Now the lighter makes sense. Awesome.

http://uk.gamespot.com/events/tgs-2011/ ... id=6335029
Axel_98
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Axel_98 »

lol most annoying monster ever
~The Bird of Hermes is My Name; Eating My Wings to Make Me Tame~
thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by thy_butcher »

It looks much better now. I'm glad they darkened that area up.
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

Sure, the graphics are 100% better and the lighting is fixed, but it's still basically the same as the previous demo. The audio has been corrected and the hits actually seem to have an impact, but the monster is still annoying, poorly designed, and the camera angles are still out of whack (especially with the lighter and the fight parts).
thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by thy_butcher »

^ Sounds like your describing one of the original SH's to me.
Isn't that what most people want? I like the way combat looks. Block, attack. Sounds pretty good.
EmilietheStrange
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by EmilietheStrange »

That video is much better, I just wish there wasn't so much background noise going on (crowds of people talking). I'm looking forward to this. Walking through that dark area and hearing some bizarre sounds yet being unable to detect where they're coming from or what's making them should be nice and tense.

That white monster still looks annoying, but at least it seemed to go down easy.
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

I hope it's not that dark in the final product. I couldn't see anything, and wasn't even sure the monster had died.
IamDemensentis
Just Passing Through

Post by IamDemensentis »

So far so good, as far as I can tell. Buut...
Is it just me or does the framerate keep going up and down? Like, 15-30 or something like that. Maybe it's just the video though.
Mannen i svart sprang, och revolvermannnen följde efter. - Det Mörka Tornet 1

Oh! Is it garbage day?!

"Ah! Global warming went up 10%, just as wanted!"