IGN - "Silent Hill: Downpour Needs More Work"

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

Monster
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Re: IGN - "Silent Hill: Downpour Needs More Work"

Post by Monster »

Dear Konami/Vatra: Turn down the freaking lights. Yeah, we see the elaborate environments. We see the lovely glowy light effects. It's all nice I guess, I mean the other games didn't really need all that stuff to do their job but hey, you gotta have all the accessories to hang with the cool kids, right? I dunno, I always thought of Silent Hill as the weird kid who was poor and couldn't afford all that stuff, and so was forced to use his imagination, thus ultimately becoming a more interesting and unique person in the long run.

You want a good business decision? Stop wasting electricity and turn off the lights.
"Star Wars is like the thing that isn't remotely cool anymore but that nobody will stop talking about of my generation" -Me.
19pack
Just Passing Through

Post by 19pack »

That mine could be 1000 scarier very easily, all they need to do is turn the lights off and make it as oppressively pitch dark as any hole in the ground typically is. Make it so that only a few feet ahead of you are sufficiently lit by your torch and add a load of suspended dust cloud filters (to further decrease visibility and increase the sense of claustrophobia a well-lit open space doesn't have) - the result would make the environment feel much more authentic, like a real disused and abandoned mine and less like a haunted-house Disneyworld fairground version of a mine. At the moment it looks like a Pirates of the Caribbean Smuggler's Den or that bit from the Goonies. Silent Hill it 'aint.
stopped_clock
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by stopped_clock »

^You guys know you can adjust the brightness yourselves right? Gamma slider, tv brightness settings? Just saying.
Too cold to start a fire
I'm burning diesel, burning dinosaur bones
I'll take the river down to still water
And ride a pack of dogs
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

Silent One wrote:I love that he complained about the inventory system. God forbid something isn't made realistic for the sake of a better game.
Yeah... Watch the new Zelda get 10s while the little guy carries around hammers and sacks full of bombs nowhere to be seen, even with a little 'hiding it in his tunic' animation in there. Realism is what's destroying gaming for me, it's what turned the genre which used to house DOOM and Quake into Call of Duty and other 'it's raining bullets, get to cover!' shooters. People are forgetting that games are special becuase they let you do things you CAN'T do in the real world.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
19pack
Just Passing Through

Post by 19pack »

stopped_clock wrote:^You guys know you can adjust the brightness yourselves right? Gamma slider, tv brightness settings? Just saying.
I agree (I've done this in other games), but then the downside to that would be in having to re-brighten everything while navigating the menus or reading the map. I hope they do include an in-game slider control for brightness/gamma etc...
Apocali
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Apocali »

I hope this ain't true, because on one hand if it ends up being a twist its ripping off 2 and Homecoming, if its not a twist and its established early on then its pretty much the basic plot of The Suffering.
PoemOfTheLastMoment
Gravedigger

Post by PoemOfTheLastMoment »

I'd rather wait for another 6 months than to play a shabby excuse of a horror game that will pretty much kill the series permanently...
Now I Know, The Real Reason Why I Came To This Town....I Wonder....What Was I Afraid Of? Without You..I've Got Nothing...Now, We Can Be Together Again.....Mary.....
Tabris
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Tabris »

I'm at the point where I'm not taking any release date seriously until it is a 100% confirmed. But I've also seen that before and it'd be changed last minute. Or with Origins, I'd have to wait another month anyways because my EBGames has its head up its ass sometimes.

I've seen October tons of times, Winter 2011 (so we have roughly dec 21-31? lolz). Now 2012 which might just be a japanese release date.

I'm with most of the people here though. I don't care if its delayed, I just want as solid game as I want. Release it in 2013 for all I care hah
Falconv1.0
Gravedigger

Post by Falconv1.0 »

Pretty sure there's a difference between certain parts of a map being dark on purpose and making the entire game darker through brightness options, so for the love of God don't use that as an excuse for the game being too bright at parts.

Anyway, I'd rather it be delayed and actually feel polished than it come out rushed.
Your weaboo is showing
The_Journeyman
Just Passing Through

Post by The_Journeyman »

19pack wrote:That mine could be 1000 scarier very easily, all they need to do is turn the lights off and make it as oppressively pitch dark as any hole in the ground typically is.
It's actually like that. The first mines gameplay was too shiny. Here the hq one.

Here: http://uk.gamespot.com/events/tgs-2011/ ... id=6335029
Piramit Kafa
Just Passing Through

Post by Piramit Kafa »

^^No, that's not how it actually looks. See the guy uses his lighter only for a few seconds and does not use it again until the end of the video? That's because the mine is actually well lit and he doesn't need the lighter at all. It looks like pitch black because of the way they recorded the video.
There was a SIGNATURE here. It's gone now.
KiramidHead
Historical Society Historian

Post by KiramidHead »

All I have to say about the IGN guy's complaints after rewatching the demo is, "really?" That puzzle was a problem for him? I also don't get his complaint about the inventory. So what if it doesn't look realistic? I'd rather have my weapon disappear than have jump to the inventory whenever I want a new item. What does he want, the weapon to jump to Murphy's belt? That's just as unrealistic as having it completely disappear. Realism is crap in video games, one of the many reasons I hate the RE5 inventory. "Oh, no, the inventory can't pause the game, that would be unrealistic!" Fuckers.
The_Journeyman
Just Passing Through

Post by The_Journeyman »

Piramit Kafa wrote:^^No, that's not how it actually looks. See the guy uses his lighter only for a few seconds and does not use it again until the end of the video? That's because the mine is actually well lit and he doesn't need the lighter at all. It looks like pitch black because of the way they recorded the video.
Nah, that looks much more natural. The other video quality was horrible.
DeSilva
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by DeSilva »

(running around the board looking for days to ruin, i'm happy to provide negative feedback until they stomp me from this sites existance).

First off, I would have to hand it to the developers for holding back on that release date, it seems to be the one good choice made so far. Maybe it was inspired because of the review. If that's even remotely the case, then prehapse it's better to scrap everything and start all over.
But they won't dare to.
So let's move on.

Concerning the combat aspect, Silent Hill never relaly overdeveloped it, and that was one of th greta pieces to the game. One of those less means more scenarios. It meant to most alot of us that the game was more focused on story than anything else, which in Downpours case is nessesary considering some of the past titles (homecomming).
I won't say anything on the puzzles based on this review, but they sound boring on the level of a cube in a triangle hole. If the review said something like the head puzzle from SH2, or the fire picture from Sh3, I think it would have caught more mention here.

Considering the recent trailer, the various, often talked about aspects of the game, I can say with near certainty that this game doesn't cater to the intellectual player. Maybe the story is a driven one, but considering what little there is concerning the story right now, it's not safe to assume such ellegance out of a campany who has a villian many are accusing to be the next ph giving the screen the 'shh' gesture in their newest trailer. The recent presentations in conjunction with this review leads me to believe that a hanful of the bright-eyed hopefuls will have their drems crushed in this game. The rest will will dish out sixty dollars and cite from their experience why Downpour deserved the SH title, althought lacking the decency to admit faults. (considering that Silent HIll is an established game with an established feel and story, anything that does not intimately connect with that feel, story, ect, was probably a waste of efforts . The developers of these games might have found more success creating their own tale of survival).
Goodbye Silent HIll!
(Please Mr. Admin, banish me)
Falconv1.0
Gravedigger

Post by Falconv1.0 »

I love how people keep saying that decent combat instead of awkward shit somehow enhances the story, and by that I mean hey how about you actually dare to ask for more for once and ask that they try to do both right goddamn it.
Your weaboo is showing
DeSilva
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by DeSilva »

Falconv1.0 wrote:I love how people keep saying that decent combat instead of awkward shit somehow enhances the story, and by that I mean hey how about you actually dare to ask for more for once and ask that they try to do both right goddamn it.
umm... right on brother?
I hear what you're saying, but everytime I read it the narrator in my head is actually yelling what you wrote. Thank God you stopped there, because anymore and the narrator might have set a chair on fire and thrown it to the front of my consciousness.

That might be the wine, though.

(And that completely distracted me from getting banned, I hope you're satisfied.)
Goodbye Silent HIll!
DeSilva
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by DeSilva »

KiramidHead wrote:All I have to say about the IGN guy's complaints after rewatching the demo is, "really?" That puzzle was a problem for him? I also don't get his complaint about the inventory. So what if it doesn't look realistic? I'd rather have my weapon disappear than have jump to the inventory whenever I want a new item. What does he want, the weapon to jump to Murphy's belt? That's just as unrealistic as having it completely disappear. Realism is crap in video games, one of the many reasons I hate the RE5 inventory. "Oh, no, the inventory can't pause the game, that would be unrealistic!" Fuckers.
How dare they immerse you into a game with some finesse! How dare they try to recreate some parts of reality! How dare the puzzle require a skill above the reviewer! How dare they Resident Evil 5! How dare they inventory pause game! How dare they All I have to say about the IGN guy's complaints after rewatching the demo is! How dare they Murphy's belt! How dare it completely disappear!
KiramidHead wrote:Fuckers.
Goodbye Silent HIll!
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

Desilva, you're silly.

Right now, it feels like Silent Hill is straddling between being a traditional SH game with a focus on story and survival horror gameplay and a total action game, and they aren't doing either very well because they're trying to do both. I feel like they need to pick one. Either be a deep, complex experience without much focus on combat like the first two SH games, or be a great, fun action shooter like Resident Evil 4. The problem is, I don't think they have the understanding to be the first thing or the talent to do the second.
Socially Awkward Penguin is my hero.
an a corpse cant laugh =)
Just Passing Through

Post by an a corpse cant laugh =) »

19pack wrote:That mine could be 1000 scarier very easily, all they need to do is turn the lights off and make it as oppressively pitch dark as any hole in the ground typically is. Make it so that only a few feet ahead of you are sufficiently lit by your torch and add a load of suspended dust cloud filters (to further decrease visibility and increase the sense of claustrophobia a well-lit open space doesn't have) - the result would make the environment feel much more authentic, like a real disused and abandoned mine and less like a haunted-house Disneyworld fairground version of a mine. At the moment it looks like a Pirates of the Caribbean Smuggler's Den or that bit from the Goonies. Silent Hill it 'aint.
Agreed.
Falconv1.0
Gravedigger

Post by Falconv1.0 »

Why can't the combat add to the atmosphere in a good way, and how is it somehow straddling between the two, mute that trailer and suddenly it doesn't really seem so fast paced now does it.
Your weaboo is showing