[Seriously] I think I know the final twist

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

Falconv1.0
Gravedigger

Re: [Seriously] I think I know the final twist

Post by Falconv1.0 »

People in general have MUUUUCH less of an issue with murderers than they do rapists don't you think?
Your weaboo is showing
Catch22
Subway Guard

Post by Catch22 »

As I said, Grendel explicitly states that he murders children; rape and child-murder go hand in hand in terms of morality (although who's to say which is worse? Where is that line drawn?). Yet I still felt for him. Perhaps I'm just a horrible person, but many others in my ENG class felt the same way.

Also, one other thing: I drew the original version of the rage face in your avatar a few years ago for /v/. Someone apparently pasted it to Kirby's body. It's so weird to see it here. Sorry, just thought that was kind of interesting.
Kenji
Historical Society Historian

Post by Kenji »

Catch22 wrote:So, given the writing is fantastic, and Murphy displays enticing psychological and emotional conflict, they could pull it off. Maybe. Okay probably not.
The thing that a lot of writers tend to forget is that trying to mitigate reprehensible actions with endearing ones does not make a character interesting or complex.

It's like learning Hitler loved puppies. This doesn't suddenly put the Holocaust "into context." It just means the genocidal fuck loved puppies.
Falconv1.0
Gravedigger

Post by Falconv1.0 »

Catch22 wrote:As I said, Grendel explicitly states that he murders children; rape and child-murder go hand in hand in terms of morality (although who's to say which is worse? Where is that line drawn?). Yet I still felt for him. Perhaps I'm just a horrible person, but many others in my ENG class felt the same way.

Also, one other thing: I drew the original version of the rage face in your avatar a few years ago for /v/. Someone apparently pasted it to Kirby's body. It's so weird to see it here. Sorry, just thought that was kind of interesting.
You're the original rage face artist?

O_o
Your weaboo is showing
Aerith Gainsborough

Post by Aerith Gainsborough »

I think I'm in love with Catch.
I'm rarely on the forums anymore. Click here for ways to reach me.
Falconv1.0
Gravedigger

Post by Falconv1.0 »

NO YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO BE MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII-eh.
Your weaboo is showing
Aerith Gainsborough

..Whut?
Catch22
Subway Guard

Post by Catch22 »

Only that specific rage face, Falcon; it was eventually redrawn by somebody more talented than I and is pretty much forgotten now. It makes me happy in my pants to see it here. (EDIT: Just checked and apparently I drew it in '07.)
The thing that a lot of writers tend to forget is that trying to mitigate reprehensible actions with endearing ones does not make a character interesting or complex.

It's like learning Hitler loved puppies. This doesn't suddenly put the Holocaust "into context." It just means the genocidal fuck loved puppies.
I agree; I think that the character must experience conflict on the subject of whatever makes him a morally reprehensible character. Simply heaping positive traits unrelated to his/her immoral actions doesn't really do anything. The scale can't be tipped by puppies. Although puppies are adorable.
I think I'm in love with Catch.
Aw shucks :3.
Aerith Gainsborough

^Yes, now we're getting married.
Catch22
Subway Guard

Post by Catch22 »

I'm... I'm so happy.

(I can't afford a ring, though. Hopefully a very small rubber band will suffice.)
Kenji

Post by Kenji »

Catch22 wrote:I agree; I think that the character must experience conflict on the subject of whatever makes him a morally reprehensible character. Simply heaping positive traits unrelated to his/her immoral actions doesn't really do anything. The scale can't be tipped by puppies. Although puppies are adorable.
They are adorable, and now I'll move on to the topic at hand.

Oh, I can't believe I'm about to actually say this...

Raping a child isn't like running over somebody with your car. You really can't do it by accident. To a lot of people, and I'm probably talking about a sizeable majority, it doesn't matter how sorry you are. Indeed, saying you're sorry would probably just strike them as disgusting.

You might be thinking of the Torchwood: Miracle Day character, Oswald Danes, who is a child rapist/murderer and portrayed as intelligent and even interesting. Of course, it must be remembered that Oswald Danes isn't the protagonist, and our enjoyment of the season isn't dependent on his likability. It should also be noted that Jack Harkness, protagonist and omnisexual, has a very low opinion of him... and so does the rest of the cast.

Another character you might be thinking of is Noodles from Once Upon a Time in America (who's merely a rapist and murderer). However, I would reply that we're talking about Sergio Leone, a filmmaker who exists in a class entirely of his own. This is where we get into the territory of exceptions.
Last edited by Kenji on 23 Sep 2011, edited 1 time in total.
Catch22
Subway Guard

Post by Catch22 »

Raping a child isn't like running over somebody with your car.
I will forever cherish this quote, Kenji.

Anyway, you're absolutely right. I'm just saying that it could potentially be done. I felt a twinge of sympathy for a protagonist who purposefully murdered a child, after all (in the novel Grendel). That said, like Sergio Leone, John Gardner is in a class all his own. It would take a massive amount of skill and gravitas to get it right. I don't see it happening, I merely think it's possible, in some distant universe.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

It's going to turn out Murphy raped a child by accident because he thought it was a consenting adult. See, the twist is he's hearing impaired and it was dark and the kid was ontop of a table and...

Yea, I don't see it. The child molester idea is stupid.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
CeetjeBeetje
Just Passing Through

Post by CeetjeBeetje »

TomWaltz wrote:Image
I don't have a pen handy, but I'd probably circle yes.
But honestly, I didn't know who you were. When I ordered my Silent Hill 4 copy on internet I saw some of your books. That was the first time I linked your name with Silent Hill (about a month ago). Maybe I'll check your comics out one day.
Anyway, nice to meet someone here who actually is working on the new Silent Hill :)
Kenji wrote:
CeetjeBeetje wrote:At the risk of sounding ignorant, how does everyone know that's the real Tom Waltz?
This is more anecdote than proof, but the member TomWaltz first showed up waaaay back to pimp his then-upcoming miniseries, Sinner's Reward. This was long before anyone knew who he was or what he was capable of, never mind long before he was ever being considered to write for a Silent Hill game.

Think of what the comics environment was like before Sinner's Reward and Past Life. At that time, claiming to be an author of a Silent Hill comic book was no way to gain popularity. He had to build that up over years, against a lot of skepticism, and no internet troll has the patience to do that.
This makes a lot sense.
'Ahh!'
'Shouldn't you be at work?'
'Yes sir, Mr. Burns.'
'Well then. Go back to work, wherever it is you work, whoever you are.'
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

Well, Tom Waltz managed to make Jeb in Past Life sympathetic, and he was about the most violent, despicable character you could imagine before Esther picked him up and cleaned him off.
Typographenia

Post by Typographenia »

Tom, I'm curious, how involved are you with the rest of the game after you write the script?

Are you still technically on staff for the remainder of the game, are you contacted when questions arise about your intent or how to handle any of your writing, is that role filled by the producers, and, from when you gave the final version of the script until now, how faithful have they managed to stay to your vision you had while writing?
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

KiramidHead wrote:Well, Tom Waltz managed to make Jeb in Past Life sympathetic, and he was about the most violent, despicable character you could imagine before Esther picked him up and cleaned him off.
He was also hilarious. He was like a deconstructed cowboy.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
SGTCOOL
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by SGTCOOL »

Interesting to hear people say that they would hate to play as a child rapist (Christ I've read child rape more times on here just now than anywhere in my life...), and I'm glad someone brought up Noodles in "Once Upon a Time in America." He's a despicable character, but I didn't start to hate the movie when a rape would occur, yet it made me uncomfortable and thus made me never forget the film. Does this fall in line with some people's preference of playing videogames where the player likes to pretend that they are the protagonist? Whereas if the protagonist were revealed to be a child murderer/rapist, these players would themselves feel like one and immediately reject the story/character? I say if done well, then why not? Could be interesting if done right, and it would certainly be original and unforgettable, which is something I feel I don't see in this series much these days.
Hydra666
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Hydra666 »

Where could I buy a copy of SH Past Life? I know a shop where they sell various rare comics including older SH comics, but they don't have past life. :?
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

I got my copy from Amazon.