[Seriously] I think I know the final twist

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

VenusDoom
Hope House Careworker

Re: [Seriously] I think I know the final twist

Post by VenusDoom »

My local comic book store is ordering the TB for me. :D Check Barns and Nobels, if they dont have it they'll prob order it for you, they ordered a Cyanide and Happiness book for me.
Cry baby, cry baby, cry,<3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_DW9xJTX-4
I love the Silent Hill Series. The games: Homecoming, Origins, and Shattered Memories, did nothing wrong whatsoever, they were developed well, and did things different. Just because they were not by Team Silent doesn't mean that they're bad games. I believe in this series. I believe that one day, we can have a game that will make all Silent Hill fans Happy. I believe that Silent Hill Downpour can achieve this.
Team Silent may be gone, but their series isn't. Instead... it's here, it's alive.

If you agree, add it to your sig.
San
Just Passing Through

Post by San »

Who is Jamie? Or Jaime? Is the boy? Or the girl? Or who?
I love the Silent Hill Series. The Games: Homecoming, Origins, and Shattered Memories, did nothing wrong whatsoever, they were developed well, and did things different. Just because they were not by Team Silent doesn't mean that they're bad games. I believe in this series. I Believe that one day, we can have a game that will make all Silent Hill fans Happy. I believe that Silent Hill Downpour can achieve this.
Team Silent may be gone, but their Series isn't. Instead... it's here, it's alive.
If you agree, add it to your sig.
raptor112
Just Passing Through

Post by raptor112 »

I don't know I think a child murderer or rapist would be Way to hard to pull off as the main character of Downpour. It would be extremely hard to pull off sympathy and it would be extremely easy to screw it up. Personally I'm starting to think that he wasn't pulled into Silent Hill because of the crime(s) that landed him in jail (as that would already be a punishment) but perhaps for something he wasn't caught.
Hydra666 wrote: A double post is a terrible crime. It can get people banned.

It consists of... ...

:shock:

Posting another message after your previous one. Image

It sounds stupid but thousands of people are banned from forums because of this horrible sin. Image
Thanks for saying this, it makes CeetjeBeetje's response to my post in another thread make a bit more sense. I always thought double posting was posting the same thing twice, not posting multiple different posts in rapid sucession. Thanks for the explanation. :oops:
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

Judging solely by that ESRB thing, I'm guessing
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
Murph murdered the man who sexually abused his child—the pedophile represented by the creature in the wheelchair—was imprisoned for the murder, and now endures Silent Hill for the guilt of killing a man in revenge.
Revenge is risky business.
Last edited by The Adversary on 26 Sep 2011, edited 1 time in total.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Yuki
Historical Society Historian

Post by Yuki »

The Adversary wrote:
Judging solely by that ESRB thing, I'm guessing Murph murdered the man who sexually abused his child—the pedophile represented by the creature in the wheelchair—was imprisoned for the murder, and now endures Silent Hill for the guilt of killing a man in revenge.

Revenge is risky business.
Adversary, could you please spoiler-tag that? Theories aren't the same as confirmed things from the ESRB and people might not want any actual info from that.
Last edited by Yuki on 27 Sep 2011, edited 1 time in total.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

Shouldn't you do the same?
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
bl00dmuffin
Just Passing Through

Post by bl00dmuffin »

So...I was definitely kidding about the pedophile thing, and it amuses me greatly that some people ran with the idea. I find it to be unlikely, although the idea of Murphy getting revenge on a pedophile seems a bit more plausible.

Edit after reading another thread: If there IS pedophilia in this game, let the record show that I was the first one to mention it in this thread, albeit sarcastically. XD
Typographenia

Post by Typographenia »

bl00dmuffin wrote:Edit after reading another thread: If there IS pedophilia in this game, let the record show that I was the first one to mention it in this thread, albeit sarcastically. XD
Did you hear that FBI? Make note that bl00dmuffin claims all responsibility and credit for past, present, and future discussions of pedophilia on this board, in regards to downpour. The rest of us are just innocent bystanders!
Last edited by Typographenia on 27 Sep 2011, edited 1 time in total.
bl00dmuffin
Just Passing Through

Post by bl00dmuffin »

Typographenia wrote:
bl00dmuffin wrote:Edit after reading another thread: If there IS pedophilia in this game, let the record show that I was the first one to mention it in this thread, albeit sarcastically. XD
Did you hear that internet police? Make note that bl00dmuffin claims all responsibility and credit for past, present, and future discussions of pedophilia on this board, in regards to downpour. The rest of us are just innocent bystanders!
Damn skippy. :D (I do hope people on this board aren't still taking me seriously.)
Aerith Gainsborough

Post by Aerith Gainsborough »

@Yuki: Make the post you quoted from Adversary a spoiler, too, or his spoiler is just worthless. :p

I like Adversary's theory, though...didn't lots of people speculate that earlier? I'm just wondering. If so, I guess great minds think alike?
I'm rarely on the forums anymore. Click here for ways to reach me.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

HERP DERP I can't believe I forgot to spoiler-tag it, myself. Done and done.
sorata
Gravedigger

Post by sorata »

I think many on the forum who said that the "pedophile" story line can be pulled off really didn't consider HOW anyone can molest a child. The examples that has been given was mostly trying to say murder or child-murder is just as bad as pedophile. You know what, it's not. Under no circumstance is child molesting justifiable. You have to WANT to molest a child in order for that to happen; but you don't necessary need to WANT to kill someone in order to become a murderer. Think about it, please, before you start counter saying it is just as bad. It honestly is NOT.

In my humble opinion, the crime that the protagonist, in the SILENT HILL series, commits has to be at least debatable and redeemable. No matter how you put it, rape and pedophilia are not redeemable qualities. If the writer decide to go that route, it's not only a matter of just pulling it off, it's about dealing with the absolute-will-happen backfire against the game. A risk that I don't think any game company will want to take. What will be the game want us trying to find-out or resolve for the character? Trying to justify rape and pedophilia? Really? It better be written by a damn good defense attorney.

Adversary's theory, on the other hand, is much more acceptable and possible theme for the game.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

sorata wrote:I think many on the forum who said that the "pedophile" story line can be pulled off really didn't consider HOW anyone can molest a child. The examples that has been given was mostly trying to say murder or child-murder is just as bad as pedophile. You know what, it's not. Under no circumstance is child molesting justifiable. You have to WANT to molest a child in order for that to happen; but you don't necessary need to WANT to kill someone in order to become a murderer. Think about it, please, before you start counter saying it is just as bad. It honestly is NOT.

In my humble opinion, the crime that the protagonist, in the SILENT HILL series, commits has to be at least debatable and redeemable. No matter how you put it, rape and pedophilia are not redeemable qualities. If the writer decide to go that route, it's not only a matter of just pulling it off, it's about dealing with the absolute-will-happen backfire against the game. A risk that I don't think any game company will want to take. What will be the game want us trying to find-out or resolve for the character? Trying to justify rape and pedophilia? Really? It better be written by a damn good defense attorney.

Adversary's theory, on the other hand, is much more acceptable and possible theme for the game.
While I really don't understand why people are thinking he's a pedophile--children in a game don't automatically mean that, even in horror--it's possible with an older child (read: teen) that it's more of a gray area, I should think.
Hydra666
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Hydra666 »

Murphy looks too nice to be a pedophile. Or maybe he's a pedophile, but a hot one that's for sure.

But IMO, I think that
A guy raped Murphy's kid and maybe killed him. He decided to kill the rapist.

The weird crippled monster in a wheelchair could represent the guy he killed or really messed him up so bad that he became incapable of walking (that's why he's in a wheelchair.

But I think that Murphy could have killed the wrong guy. That's why he looks so sorry and Maybe that's why Cunningham seems to hate him so much. Maybe Murphy killed one of her relatives instead of the real guy. Maybe this innocent guy had kids and everything..

But also.. Remember in the first trailer, the code on Murphy's outfit is designed for child killers. Maybe he killed the wrong guy and his kids. That's another reason why Cunningham seems to hate Murphy. Hell, maybe she was this wrong guy's wife.

MC hammer could be some kind of judge. That's why he's holding an hammer.
sorata
Gravedigger

Post by sorata »

Yuki, Kotaku... FOUND IT! XD

Yep, that was me... busted!
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

sorata wrote:Yuki, Kotaku... FOUND IT! XD

Yep, that was me... busted!
LOL That was hilarious to see you over there!

ANYWAY.

Hydra, I really do like your theory. We know he's committed a crime, but I like that angle.
Thor
Just Passing Through

Post by Thor »

Hydra666 wrote:Murphy looks too nice to be a pedophile. Or maybe he's a pedophile, but a hot one that's for sure.

But IMO, I think that
A guy raped Murphy's kid and maybe killed him. He decided to kill the rapist.

The weird crippled monster in a wheelchair could represent the guy he killed or really messed him up so bad that he became incapable of walking (that's why he's in a wheelchair.

But I think that Murphy could have killed the wrong guy. That's why he looks so sorry and Maybe that's why Cunningham seems to hate him so much. Maybe Murphy killed one of her relatives instead of the real guy. Maybe this innocent guy had kids and everything..

But also.. Remember in the first trailer, the code on Murphy's outfit is designed for child killers. Maybe he killed the wrong guy and his kids. That's another reason why Cunningham seems to hate Murphy. Hell, maybe she was this wrong guy's wife.

MC hammer could be some kind of judge. That's why he's holding an hammer.
I honestly think that's too complicated. Reading upwards and looking at the whole "redeemable" talk, I don't know about you, but killing somebody's innocent kids is a horrible thing to do and I certainly wouldn't get behind Murphy if he had done that.
Hydra666
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Hydra666 »

Vatra won't base Murphy's past on opinions players could have on him. Horrible people are everywhere, Murphy could be one of them.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

I read somewhere that Murphy's past can actually change depending on how players play the game, like whether or not he was innocent, an accidental criminal, or outright guilty. Anyone have a source for that?
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Typographenia

Post by Typographenia »

That would be pretty cool, but I wonder how much that would play into the way the game presents the story? Perhaps his past differences are actually for the different endings?