Silent Hill Downpour Appreciation Thread

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

KiramidHead
Historical Society Historian

Re: Silent Hill Downpour Appreciation Thread

Post by KiramidHead »

I would pay for one DLC, if it allowed me to explore the entire town from Old SH to the new Downpour areas. However, I kinda doubt that'll happen.
thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by thy_butcher »

^ That sounds really cool. That's next-gen Silent Hill I think... :)
On that note: I'm very happy that no old areas will be visited. I'm ready to see unexplored parts of the town. No Alchemilla, no Brookhaven, no Lakeside Amusement Park... Yay!
Augophthalmoses
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Augophthalmoses »

Yeah, thank fucking god there will no hospital or nurses in this game. I was getting so sick of both of them. As for DLC, I wouldn't mind like one or two things new areas, costumes, weapons, whatever) coming out and not being outrageously expensive. As long as the game isn't plagued with numerous DLC updates and add ons I'd be okay with it.
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

@thy_butcher: Yeah, it doesn't hurt but it's indeed annoying. Would you pay for an alternate costume, for example? A reward that the player should get by finishing the game? I wouldn't.

Just imagine if all the alt. costumes from SH3 were paid DLC with each of them costing 2 dollars and the only way to get each of them was to buy the whole package. How many outfits there are, 30? Major rip-off.

And yeah, I also got sick of the hospitals. Esp. Alchemilla......
Axel_98
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Axel_98 »

I just wanna point out that the more I watch the trailer the more I like it and look forward to it :3
~The Bird of Hermes is My Name; Eating My Wings to Make Me Tame~
PoemOfTheLastMoment
Gravedigger

Post by PoemOfTheLastMoment »

Axel_98 wrote:I just wanna point out that the more I watch the trailer the more I like it and look forward to it :3

Just dont expect it to be at the level of the first four Team Silent games... and dont expect any symbolic images that give more depth to the world like the first four did...( On a side note,It's kinda sad how in that HD Collection preview, Tomm and Co failed to pick up on the prison painting easter egg when we saw it years ago ..makes me think we wont find such similar easter eggs in Downpour(sigh) ....
Now I Know, The Real Reason Why I Came To This Town....I Wonder....What Was I Afraid Of? Without You..I've Got Nothing...Now, We Can Be Together Again.....Mary.....
thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by thy_butcher »

^ Come on now, let's not do that.
We'll see when we have Downpour.
But really, I think if you go in with a negative mindset, you'll enjoy the game less just because you've convinced yourself of shortcomings it may not actually have. Your tainted view would ruin it.
It's a new Silent Hill game... that's not a basis for thinking it'll be beneath the Team Silent games.
ChassisBird
Just Passing Through

Post by ChassisBird »

thy_butcher wrote:^ Come on now, let's not do that.
We'll see when we have Downpour.
But really, I think if you go in with a negative mindset, you'll enjoy the game less just because you've convinced yourself of shortcomings it may not actually have. Your tainted view would ruin it.
It's a new Silent Hill game... that's not a basis for thinking it'll be beneath the Team Silent games.
Yeah, this. Honestly, I'm not optimistic for the game either, but thinking they'll be no symbolism based on nothing I can see and no easter eggs based on missing one of them in a previous game is unreasonably pessemistic, in my view.
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

The haters are gonna hate when the new game comes out. Also: all symbolism (and anything the game does right) will be deemed accidental because they're inferior, non-Japanese developers.
PoemOfTheLastMoment
Gravedigger

leftshoe18 wrote:The haters are gonna hate when the new game comes out. Also: all symbolism (and anything the game does right) will be deemed accidental because they're inferior, non-Japanese developers.
It's not a matter of hating the game but keeping things 'real' so to speak. i remember devin shatsky once stating that gamers shouldnt go into downpour by comparing it to past games in order for the gamer to enjoy it more. But to me, that felt like an admission of defeat on their part and that kinda mindset will affect the final product. I really hope downpour turns out to be a good instalment in the series. i really hope that they succeed this time and the fans wont be disappointed..AGAIN!
Last edited by PoemOfTheLastMoment on 01 Dec 2011, edited 1 time in total.
Now I Know, The Real Reason Why I Came To This Town....I Wonder....What Was I Afraid Of? Without You..I've Got Nothing...Now, We Can Be Together Again.....Mary.....
thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by thy_butcher »

^ I think you're referring to Post-Team Silent games. Not all fans were "disappointed" with them. Of course it varies widely among people... but I, myself, truly enjoyed both 0rigins and Homecoming. Admittedly, not AS much as the Team Silent games, but I consider them "True" SH games nonetheless.
What you heard Devin say is a statement of confidence Imo. Downpour is set to be the next chapter in SH's story; one that doesn't need to rely on previous installments for its integrity like Homecoming, 0rigins & SM did. Downpour only uses the previous games and their teachings as a strong, baseline foundation. From there Vatra has developed a game that can stand on its own in terms of story, characters, etc. And as its own game, I think it'll stand-up proudly with previous installments; and I think it'll surpass a few of them, if not most.
Don't cling to the old games and use them as a checklist to critique Downpour. I'm happy that SH isn't like CoD, where every title is nearly identical to the last.
All IMO :)
Chris Redfield
Just Passing Through

Post by Chris Redfield »

Ya know in the midst of this, I wonder... Since The Shawshank Redemption was listed as one of Downpour's influences(and that movie was awesome in it's own right. I don't give a fuck what anyone else here says), I wonder how that helped Devin and Tomm(and perhaps even Vatra), in approaching Downpour...

Yep. Just another day in Silent Hill...
Monster
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Monster »

One thing I should say that I appreciate about Downpour's story is that they're getting closer to the native american aspect of Silent Hill's history. I want to see more of that culture influencing the symbolism and scenery. The first few games introduce us primarily to the side of the town's spirituality that has already been modified by European settlers. Now it would be cool to see that stuff being peeled back to it's native roots, to their ideas of spirits.
"Star Wars is like the thing that isn't remotely cool anymore but that nobody will stop talking about of my generation" -Me.
thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by thy_butcher »

^ If done correctly, that could make for some creepy stuff. :)
Axel_98
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Axel_98 »

PoemOfTheLastMoment wrote: Just dont expect it to be at the level of the first four Team Silent games... and dont expect any symbolic images that give more depth to the world like the first four did...( On a side note,It's kinda sad how in that HD Collection preview, Tomm and Co failed to pick up on the prison painting easter egg when we saw it years ago ..makes me think we wont find such similar easter eggs in Downpour(sigh) ....

See it's people like this that make actual SH fans look bad. Team Silent is dead. Get over it and move on. If you want to live in your Team Silent world then please, by all means live in the past but don't make more comments on any new "up coming" silent hill games complaining... God forbid you go into anything with an open mind.
~The Bird of Hermes is My Name; Eating My Wings to Make Me Tame~
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

PoemOfTheLastMoment wrote:
Axel_98 wrote:I just wanna point out that the more I watch the trailer the more I like it and look forward to it :3

Just dont expect it to be at the level of the first four Team Silent games... and dont expect any symbolic images that give more depth to the world like the first four did...( On a side note,It's kinda sad how in that HD Collection preview, Tomm and Co failed to pick up on the prison painting easter egg when we saw it years ago ..makes me think we wont find such similar easter eggs in Downpour(sigh) ....

Yeah! We can't expect to see symbolism and easter eggs from the guys who made Shattered Memories! How dumb would that be!

Some people's children.
FrankRD
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by FrankRD »

Oh, crap. :? So Downpour won't have any easter eggs or symbolic images? That's a bummer.

*Insert sarcasm here*
CandyLander
Just Passing Through

Post by CandyLander »

i like some easter eggs

like, maybe you go to a mail box and your character says "no letter from a dead wife here, go look somewhere else..."

and i really like symbolism in the silent hill games...

i hope downpour is really simbolic, and i hope there are many easter eggs u-u"
Have you seen a little girl? Short, black hair. Seven years old...
PoemOfTheLastMoment
Gravedigger

See it's people like this that make actual SH fans look bad. Team Silent is dead. Get over it and move on. If you want to live in your Team Silent world then please, by all means live in the past but don't make more comments on any new "up coming" silent hill games complaining... God forbid you go into anything with an open mind

I've been playing with an open mind since Silent Hill Origins came out... and i have yet to be wowed by any of the following games...INCLUDING Shattered memories....(Shattered memories was a good game story wise..)
FrankRD
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by FrankRD »

Except that Shattered Memories had plenty of easter eggs and symbolic images. I don't see why shouldn't we expect the same from Downpour.

It's not that I personally love every single SH game. I've never been fond of Origins or Homecoming and probably never will, but I'm willing to give Downpour a chance because I found Shattered Memories to be brilliant.

Besides, this is the Downpour Appreciation Thread, we shouln't try to be looking for cons in here.