Silent Hill Downpour Appreciation Thread

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

sh#1fan
Historical Society Historian

Re: Silent Hill Downpour Appreciation Thread

Post by sh#1fan »

looks good~

I finally broke and watched the korn trailer. I have to say the game looks really good.
I love how there taking the game in a new direction while keeping the familar stuff.
Ive loved all silent hill games and this one looks just as good :D
oO?
thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by thy_butcher »

I'm excited to see how the rain (And water in general) will affect gameplay.
I hope that the "Dynamic Weather System" is truly randomized. That would make outdoor exploration truly tense.
CandyLander
Just Passing Through

Post by CandyLander »

thy_butcher wrote:I'm excited to see how the rain (And water in general) will affect gameplay.
I hope that the "Dynamic Weather System" is truly randomized. That would make outdoor exploration truly tense.
and maybe depending of the choices you make the weather will change
Have you seen a little girl? Short, black hair. Seven years old...
MAvulture
Just Passing Through

Post by MAvulture »

CandyLander wrote:
thy_butcher wrote:I'm excited to see how the rain (And water in general) will affect gameplay.
and maybe depending of the choices you make the weather will change
Sounds like a good idea, and quite possible. The more trailers I watch, the more I like the look of downpour. Im getting excited now, like a kid before christmas.
--Master of the moon--
Cyrus Hanley
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Cyrus Hanley »

I'm liking the water motif in Downpour and how rain is a cue for danger. For several games, we have had industrial environments with blood and rust but then Shattered Memories turned all of that on its head by introducing (reimagining?) the ice and snow theme. We need to see more of that. Some of the best moments of Silent Hill 2 were whenever James briefly stepped into the worlds of Angela and Eddie and experienced their Silent Hill.

The new weapons system is a big improvement over Origins. What was supposed to incorporate a new element of fear and dread in that game instead exposed the ludicrous nature of the inventory system. Beating a monster with a tire iron and having it break mid-combat did not phase me at all when I had amassed enough crates, filing cabinets, typewriters, toasters, portable televisions and other crap to fill the scrap yard. I was more annoyed than scared when my sturdy sledgehammer disintegrated into nothing and Travis started duking it out with his fists. The idea of using weapons as tools to advance is an idea I'm glad they took from Homecoming because even if I decide to never use the steel pipe in combat I would always need it to pry open a door or other obstacle whereas in previous games weaker weapons were usurped as soon as you acquired better ones or amassed enough ammunition that you need not bother with mêlée combat.

I appreciate the lack of a health meter (or any kind of coloured status screen, for that matter). I didn't mind the presence of it in The Room but I prefer the visual cues that Homecoming introduced and Downpour has elaborated on. I am also glad that the "doo-doo" pickup noise has returned. :-D
Matt S
Gravedigger

Post by Matt S »

Looking forward to our (hopefully) first truly kick ass Silent Hill game this generation
RIP Silent Hills
Chris Redfield
Just Passing Through

Post by Chris Redfield »

Indeed, it looks epic. Now I just need to stay away from this part of the forum until after I've beaten this game. I find it a better experience if I walk into the game blind... 8)

Yep. Just another day in Silent Hill...
Matt S
Gravedigger

Post by Matt S »

My only real concern - and this stems from the game mechanic used in Shattered Memories -but I hope the rain patteren/when monsters appear, is truly random.

If I can see the creatures coming a mile away, as I could in Shattered memories, the game wouldn't be scary.
RIP Silent Hills
Yuki
Historical Society Historian

Post by Yuki »

Matt S wrote:My only real concern - and this stems from the game mechanic used in Shattered Memories -but I hope the rain patteren/when monsters appear, is truly random.

If I can see the creatures coming a mile away, as I could in Shattered memories, the game wouldn't be scary.
They have stated it is random.
teosoleil
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by teosoleil »

I hope it's a good kind of random. Like, not Catherine's A.I. system type of random.
silenthillking
Just Passing Through

Post by silenthillking »

Graphics wow looking at Google images there so ambient and abstract there like something ripped from a movie i just hope the unreal engine does`nt play up with texture pop in.

One thing i can appreciate is the current console six years old and still improving on graphics for fun just image this game on the Atari 2600.
The SH Champion
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by The SH Champion »

Downpour will great just like every other Silent Hill. Silent Hill has never disappointed me.
"The Fear of Blood tends to create fear for the flesh."
-Silent Hill