Silent Hill Experienced Interview with Devin and Tomm

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

Falconv1.0
Gravedigger

Re: Silent Hill Experienced Interview with Devin and Tomm

Post by Falconv1.0 »

2 1/2 hours sounds like a speed run lol, I'm talking more like, blind runs.
Your weaboo is showing
Damn It All
Just Passing Through

Post by Damn It All »

Yeah this link isn't working for me either can someone copy paste the text? : (
The Heart is heaven but the Mind is Hell. - Tom Waits
stopped_clock
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by stopped_clock »

^^The earlier Silent Hill games tended to take around 6 hours on a blind run, for me at least, but certainly not 10-15.
Too cold to start a fire
I'm burning diesel, burning dinosaur bones
I'll take the river down to still water
And ride a pack of dogs
PoemOfTheLastMoment
Gravedigger

Post by PoemOfTheLastMoment »

CeetjeBeetje wrote:I'm not liking some of the replies that Tomm guy made. Especially him saying that the 2001 voice over from SH2 was good, but that it needs to meet todays standards.That's total bullshit in my opinion. Don't get me wrong though, I really don't mind it that much that the voice over is being changed. But SH2 should be considered a classic and therefore you shouldn't change stuff like the voices and gameplay etc. Making it HD and surround is tolerated, just like with movies.
But saying that SH2 has to meet todays standards is like saying the blu-ray of A Clockwork Orange needs more explosions and high-speed car chases, because it has to meet todays standards.
Then it's obvious that Tom Hulett is an idiot...i admit that Sh2's voice overs arent up to par...but the weird voice overs made up part of the overall appeal...When they decided to mess with the voices, they decided to mess with the memories of those players who played it all those years....The last thing we need is a VO that sounds just like every other anime....They should probably go ahead and call it "Tomm Hulett's Silent Hill 2: The Anime Dub Edition"(Konami Approved)....
Now I Know, The Real Reason Why I Came To This Town....I Wonder....What Was I Afraid Of? Without You..I've Got Nothing...Now, We Can Be Together Again.....Mary.....
redrum
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by redrum »

PoemOfTheLastMoment wrote:
CeetjeBeetje wrote:I'm not liking some of the replies that Tomm guy made. Especially him saying that the 2001 voice over from SH2 was good, but that it needs to meet todays standards.That's total bullshit in my opinion. Don't get me wrong though, I really don't mind it that much that the voice over is being changed. But SH2 should be considered a classic and therefore you shouldn't change stuff like the voices and gameplay etc. Making it HD and surround is tolerated, just like with movies.
But saying that SH2 has to meet todays standards is like saying the blu-ray of A Clockwork Orange needs more explosions and high-speed car chases, because it has to meet todays standards.
Then it's obvious that Tom Hulett is an idiot...i admit that Sh2's voice overs arent up to par...but the weird voice overs made up part of the overall appeal...When they decided to mess with the voices, they decided to mess with the memories of those players who played it all those years....The last thing we need is a VO that sounds just like every other anime....They should probably go ahead and call it "Tomm Hulett's Silent Hill 2: The Anime Dub Edition"(Konami Approved)....
So you expect someone who works for Konami to go "Yeah, the new voiceovers are shit lolz"
stopped_clock
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by stopped_clock »

"but the weird voice overs made up part of the overall appeal"

Evident only through hindsight and cemented by nostalgia.

The va's of the original games are not good. They just aren't. The fact that for some people the hammy acting adds to the charm or whatever is a poor excuse for bad acting. I'm all for them improving the game in any way they can, and from what I've heard, other than Eddy, all of the new voices are better than the originals (bite me).

Now obviously, even for someone pro-improvement like myself there is going to be a period of adjustment whilst my brain whines that these voices aren't right, but hopefully that will dissipate the moment that I realise that James is suddenly portraying emotion, or that everything Angela says doesn't make me laugh now. Most of the characters in SH2 sound like they've experienced severe trauma, which you might think is a good thing, unfortunately that trauma is a blunt force trauma to the head which has left them sounding at best developmentally challenged.
Too cold to start a fire
I'm burning diesel, burning dinosaur bones
I'll take the river down to still water
And ride a pack of dogs
Apocali
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Apocali »

Yeah really the only part of the voice-acting that was quite good was the Leave ending. Otherwise, yeah it was pretty subpar, though it did have its cheesy charm. Overall though its not some momentous loss as previously said, just making a big deal out of something rather insignificant.
Mephisto
Historical Society Historian

Post by Mephisto »

A blind run through the series could take 5 to 12 hours. With a speed run you can finish it in less than 3 hours.

The games aren't that huge.
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

The longest I ever took to finish a Silent Hill game was 5 hours. They really are pretty short as most survival-horror games are.
Axel_98
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Axel_98 »

I must be slow because it took me at least 9 hours to finish SH2, but then again I run around town exploring and checking doors and such.
~The Bird of Hermes is My Name; Eating My Wings to Make Me Tame~
KingCrimson
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by KingCrimson »

From what we've seen, is there any difference between the HD remakes of Silent Hill 2-3 and the HD remakes of Star Wars 4-6? You could easily say the cantina scene from Star Wars was silly and had poor special effects, but did that really justify the abomination Lucas turned it into? I'm not seeing the need for everything to be 'updated for a new generation'. That's the kind of thinking that brought us the Transformers movies, the piss-poor remakes of every classic horror movie like The Haunting, Halloween, The Fog, and cash-in nightmares like... well, like pretty much everything from Scooby Doo to Alvin and the Chipmunks. I'm about to come off as a curmudgeonly old prick, but this seems to me one more example of what's been endemic in popular culture lately: nothing is original. Maybe nothing was ever original to begin with, but at least people weren't afraid to come up with interesting franchises. Today there's just so much backwards-looking media in gaming (I'm looking at you, Nintendo) that I honestly feel like the whole HD remake idea is part of what's killing the industry.
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

^Careful, your hipster is showing. :lol:

But seriously, nothing is killing the industry. Also, the Star Wars special editions are the same damn movies where it counts, just with a fresh coat of paint. Abominations, my ass.
VIVIsect

Post by VIVIsect »

Saying that the original vocal performances aren't up to snuff with "modern standards" is such a lame ass, transparent attempt at saving face. I can't understand why he can't just give an honest, straightforward answer, like "There were issues preventing us from using the original VO performances, so we were forced to redo them with new actors. We think the new actors are pretty good". Not too difficult. Knock off the "we planned this all along" bullshit.
nobody is anybody
ur-vile
Hope House Careworker

Post by ur-vile »

Well said, VIVI
Typographenia

Post by Typographenia »

VIVIsect wrote:Saying that the original vocal performances aren't up to snuff with "modern standards" is such a lame ass, transparent attempt at saving face.
Except, that it's still true? I mean, could you honestly tell me that if SH2 on the ps2 were to be reviewed for the very first time right now that reviewers wouldn't attack that weakpoint? I mean, that's what it is.
I'm not attempting to justify what konami is saying, the voice acting just isn't on-par in this Nolan North/Jennifer Hale world. The voice acting is super spotty, and it would show up in probably every reviewer's... review.
redrum
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by redrum »

Infact a lot of Silent Hill outsiders mention the dodgy VA
Kenji

Post by Kenji »

I have a confession to make.

When Mary reads her letter, at the end of the game? Yeah, that always made me cringe with embarrassment. Especially when she chokes up ("did to you, did to us" and "you made me... happy").
Apocali
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Apocali »

Kenji wrote:I have a confession to make.

When Mary reads her letter, at the end of the game? Yeah, that always made me cringe with embarrassment. Especially when she chokes up ("did to you, did to us" and "you made me... happy").
Really, I thought that it felt more real, it was like she was actually crying and kind of stumbling over her words because of it. Not saying that's it golden and untouchable and the best VAing ever but I thought it was pretty good.
raptor112
Just Passing Through

Post by raptor112 »

From what I saw of the new VA Maria was good, James was so so and Eddie was OH MY GOD WHAT THE HELL DID YOU DO TO HIS VOICE. I love SH2, and the old voice actors (though I never understood their whole, if they use them in an updated game we deserve more money.....except most Actors don't get extra cash when it goes from DVD to Blue Ray to Digital Copy.) but I'm willing to give it a chance, especially if they can give james a better reaction to things around him. I swear to got he was stoned for half of the events in silent hill 2....Now SH3 voice acting....that has me worried cause most of the acting in that was good (especially heather)
Whitney
SHH Staff Writer

Post by Whitney »

Mephisto wrote:I was expecting to hear Whitney's lovely voice again. What a shame. . .
Don't worry you'll hear a lot of me really soon have some exciting things to share hopefully tomorrow :3

Also if the link isn't working I have the whole thing on my personal sh site http://silenthillhistoricalsociety.com/?p=8759
My Websites!
Image Image Image