DON'T READ THE ESRB RATING/REVIEW OF THIS!!

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

Thor
Just Passing Through

DON'T READ THE ESRB RATING/REVIEW OF THIS!!

Post by Thor »

So I found myself lurking the internet for some new Silent Hill news and I clicked on a link which displayed which rating ESRB gave Downpour... and It spoiled a good amount of stuff for me at least.

Do not read the ESRB rating/review of the game. It basically spoilt a portion of the game... I'm completely upset.
Catch22
Subway Guard

Re: DON'T READ THE ESRB RATING/REVIEW OF THIS!!

Post by Catch22 »

Well after reading this I had to look it up, obviously. Very interesting stuff, but it does (sorta) spoil portions of the storyline. I say "sorta" because it is fairly ambiguous in regard to which characters the descriptions apply to.

The most interesting portion was this (DO NOT read if you aren't interested in the spoilers):
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
...a child’s neck getting snapped (off-screen); a police officer being stabbed in the ribs; a defenseless man getting beaten to death with a pipe. During the course of the game, some on-screen text contains sexual references (e.g., “. . . including third-degree murder and sexual assault of a child below the age of 14.”).
I'm sorry for tempting you guys.
Last edited by Catch22 on 25 Sep 2011, edited 2 times in total.
Soulless-Shadow
Subway Guard

Post by Soulless-Shadow »

Thanks for the warning. I wasn't going to read the ESRB rating/review simply because it never occurred to me to do so, but I appropriate the warning nevertheless.
Thor wrote:It basically spoilt a portion of the game... I'm completely upset.
I'm sorry parts of the game were spoiled for you. :( There's nothing worse than spoilers. >_< Hopefully you'll still enjoy the game, regardless of the spoilers.

Damn you, Catch22. :x I'm so tempted to click and read. >_< Won't though.
Thor
Just Passing Through

Post by Thor »

As much as it spoiled portions of the game for me, I'm still buying it regardless. It actually gave me the idea that this game has so much more potential if it is executed well.

But man, it kinda shone some light on my one theory, and how it could be completely correct. Bittersweet I tell you!
alone in the town
Historical Society Historian

Post by alone in the town »

It's a list of actions that take place in the game. It doesn't spoil anything because no context is provided. If you think you know what any of it means, you don't. You're only making assumptions.

It would be like seeing a list for Silent Hill 2 which references "incest, euthanasia and animal abuse". Unless you've actually played the game, you have no idea how those concepts are applied, so nothing is being spoiled and you're all just freaking out over nothing.
Catch22
Subway Guard

Post by Catch22 »

^Yeah, you're right. But the frequent mention of
hurt children
does give credence to one particular theory. However, it's nothing conclusive.
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

It isn't.

I have to wonder why people look up information if being spoiled is a concern. I very much wanted to avoid spoilers for Shattered Memories because I knew the subversion of expectations was going to be vital. As such, I avoided any mention of the game and ignored all previews and most videos, and stayed well away from the Shattered Memories parts of the forum. So, even though I didn't play it until six months after it was released, I went it almost as ignorant of what to expect as I could be, and everything I saw was a surprise.

If you actively seek information about the game, you shouldn't be upset if you happen to find more than you wanted.
Thor
Just Passing Through

Post by Thor »

Lol, you sound pissed off. I was looking for general information, not particular events which take place in the game. It does kill a bit of steam, heading into the games release. Now the people who read that know what to look for in some cases.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

It's not like something involving kids getting hurt was the slightest bit of a surprise, given the trailers.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
TGST
Just Passing Through

Post by TGST »

I read it yesterday, but I have already forgotten the most of it since it didn't really have anything surprising. Those who are trying to have zero information on the game before playing it are the only ones who really may have something spoiled for them. But they wouldn't be here on the Downpour board or checking out the news about Downpour then.
SolidGear3
Just Passing Through

Post by SolidGear3 »

Way too late on that. I visit the ESRB everyday to see if the descriptions of upcoming games have been added. In fact, I'll check now..

ETA: .....Quit interesting.. The long awaited I AM ALIVE has now been rated by the ESRB.. Rated M for Mature on the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Windows. Now, when the hell is it going to FINALLY come out?!

MOD EDIT: Do NOT double post. Use the edit button, it works wonders. -HG
Now - Resident Evil 4 HD
Later - Rage

Trophy Collection - yourgamercards.net/profile/solidgear3

Game Collection - vgcollect.com/solidgear3
Hydra666
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Hydra666 »

I've just read this and I didn't feel spoiled a bit. It was mostly small elements of cutscenes.

I like how sadistic the game looks.
Dragonforce1080p
Just Passing Through

Post by Dragonforce1080p »

Hydra666 wrote:I've just read this and I didn't feel spoiled a bit. It was mostly small elements of cutscenes.

I like how sadistic the game looks.
I agree, the ESRB has no spoilers. But it does seem to push the boundaries of some people's comfort zones. Maybe? I say that because I don't remember any other game that has the stuff this one does in terms of shock value.
My VGM inspired pieces :)
♫ youtube.com/terran236 ♪
Typographenia

Post by Typographenia »

It's my general rule of thumb to avoid ESRB stuff since they have to be very open and pretty explicit about the contents of the game. Since it's there job and all.

Sorry, though, OP.
Mantorok
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Mantorok »

I'm very tempted to read it but I will resist. I don't know why they would even reveal anything period, especially for a game series like this one.
ww_andi
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by ww_andi »

i am staying away from this lol i dont want anything spoiled
SolidGear3
Just Passing Through

Post by SolidGear3 »

@Dragonforce

What about the Hostel-esque torture sequences near the end of Homecoming? Those were pretty damn intense!
Now - Resident Evil 4 HD
Later - Rage

Trophy Collection - yourgamercards.net/profile/solidgear3

Game Collection - vgcollect.com/solidgear3
Glenn
Gravedigger

Post by Glenn »

Same thing happened to me last night. I just stopped reading after I read the first spoiler.
SilentWren

Post by SilentWren »

I want to get the game even more now, so I can know how those spoilers unfold and who they apply to. It kinda sucks for everyone who wanted absolutely zero info, tho. Tough break guys.
The above user visits this forum *very infrequently.* If you need any type of response or answer from her, she may or may not be able to provide it in a timely manner.

Thank you for understanding. <3

http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 28#p674128
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

Eh, these don't really bother me in terms of spoilers. They're very general statements without context, so they don't really spoil anything for me, IMO. We know that they have something to do with the plot, but no specifics. Hell, some of them could be sidequest related. Context is everything, IMO.