40 Minutes w/ Downpour – Thoughts, Video & New Screens

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Re: 40 Minutes w/ Downpour – Thoughts, Video & New Screens

Post by leftshoe18 »

The Otherworld in Dowpour looks amazing. I love how they're taking one of the few good pages from Homecoming (Hell Descent) and creating the Otherworld in a twisted version of reality instead of a re-textured version. It's fresh and looks frickin' awesome.
redrum
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by redrum »

Considering this is the first Otherworld, you just know by the last transition its gonna be one hell of a mindfuck :D I like the camera being further away, it's better than Homecoming's over the shoulder style
stopped_clock
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by stopped_clock »

ashatteredmemory wrote: And indeed, I found it very Escher-like, which I like very much, and Escher is very 'open', so I like this new otherworld to be so open.
I really like the Escheresque, wide open otherworld too. To me it seems like it could be partially representative of the disorientating effects on Murphy of his sudden and unexpected freedom.
Too cold to start a fire
I'm burning diesel, burning dinosaur bones
I'll take the river down to still water
And ride a pack of dogs
KiramidHead
Historical Society Historian

Post by KiramidHead »

This has me pondering something. Maybe we'll get two OSTs for Downpour, one with Licht's score, the other with the Korny thing and the songs we'll hear in game, like that kick ass gospel song.
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

Most likely, we'll have one and it will be missing more than half of the music used in the game, as has almost always been the case until now.
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

KiramidHead wrote:This has me pondering something. Maybe we'll get two OSTs for Downpour, one with Licht's score, the other with the Korny thing and the songs we'll hear in game, like that kick ass gospel song.
I could see them doing a score release and a soundtrack release. That could be pretty cool.
ww_andi
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by ww_andi »

i would like to know if there are any more "songs" in the game hopefully there wont be to many
KingCrimson
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by KingCrimson »

Things I noticed from the video:

-The way every chair, pipe or object you can pick up has that "glimmer" effect got on my nerves after a while. I hope it can be turned off.
-The enemies seem to be more difficult than in previous games, and from what the player says it seems like there's a nuance to combat that makes it believable and raw
-So far, I think the puzzles look pretty bad. I mean come on, find the circuit breaker? Turn the same picture upside down over and over? I know there's a variable difficulty setting, and I hope some more challenging parts are available.
-When we first see the void, a voice says "Murphy... run!" Is that Murphy talking to himself or does the void speak?
-On the topic of voices, Murphy's actor is top-notch.

I must say I'm intrigued. Hopefully the monacle-man never returns and the camera gets tweaked a little. Could be the best Silent Hill in a while if the side-quest system works out.
ww_andi
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by ww_andi »

i dont think that was Murphy talking to himself it seemed to sound a little bit like Howard
TGST
Just Passing Through

Post by TGST »

KingCrimson wrote:Things I noticed from the video:

-When we first see the void, a voice says "Murphy... run!" Is that Murphy talking to himself or does the void speak?
I recall that the devs have said that Murphy speaks to himself during the game every now and then, and that seems to be the case there.
Hydra666
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Hydra666 »

That's not murphy talking to himself. Neither the void.

It's Howard, listen to his voice carefully.
KingCrimson
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by KingCrimson »

From where, though? I don't recall Howard being anywhere near that place in the video. Did he pop out of a potted plant like in that Family Guy sketch when Stewie tries to tell a racist joke?
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

I think it's meant to be the same disembodied voice that spoke to Murphy behind the Diner, when Whitney had her "is that you God" moment.
Apocali
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Apocali »

I really hope Howard isn't some sort of guardian angel type benevolent entity that's helping Murphy, that wouldn't fit the series style at all.
ww_andi
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by ww_andi »

there isn't really a need to say what silent hill's style is, just because it hasn't happened before doesn't mean it cant. It is kinda like silent hill 3 where they implied that some of the monsters where human, that hadn't been done before either just saying
TGST
Just Passing Through

Post by TGST »

Hydra666 wrote:That's not murphy talking to himself. Neither the void.

It's Howard, listen to his voice carefully.
Oh, after listening it a couple times more carefully I have to agree with you.
But, I do not think it's Howard speaking. It's someone else. Any ideas?
clips
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by clips »

Apocali wrote:I really hope Howard isn't some sort of guardian angel type benevolent entity that's helping Murphy, that wouldn't fit the series style at all.

I agree.....i'm ok with him popping up giving vague hints to murphy then dissappearing, but having him be like this guardian angel, kinda cheapens it a little, like he's a transparent ghost floating around in this other dimension helping murphy...telling him to run or guiding him to safety.

Compare that to the horrifying looking ghosts that was seen in the SH4...that game gave a whole new meaning to what folks generally perceive to be ghosts overall. I do have a feeling that howard is going to end up being something like that...a guardian angel...

And SH is nothing like that..in essence it's just a supernatural force that is neither good or evil, but plays on the person's mental, and the only way that it may seem evil was only because the cult have been manipulating this mysterious force in previous games.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

ww_andi wrote:there isn't really a need to say what silent hill's style is, just because it hasn't happened before doesn't mean it cant. It is kinda like silent hill 3 where they implied that some of the monsters where human, that hadn't been done before either just saying
I'm going to agree with this. It disheartens me to see people say things like "no that's not Silent Hill" when in fact it could actually work pretty well... we just don't know yet.
Mr.FLOOT
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Mr.FLOOT »

I keep watching this because I absolutely LOVE the otherworld transition! It's fantastic! And that big open room with the record player was so eery. I really can't wait to play this game!
Ravager
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Ravager »

The Otherworld looks nice, but yeah I hope there will be Otherworlds where you get an alternate/evil version of a place you were just in. The alternate hospital in SH1 was a great example. The same hospital and layout, yet it felt completely different.

All I can say so far: the game looks good and the atmosphere is great. I've got a good feeling about this game.