40 Minutes w/ Downpour – Thoughts, Video & New Screens

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

Whitney
SHH Staff Writer

40 Minutes w/ Downpour – Thoughts, Video & New Screens

Post by Whitney »

Hey guys! I got the opportunity to go and play Downpour down at Konami last week and I was able to record my footage Unfortunately it's a cam view but you do see lots of new areas!

40 Minutes with Silent Hill Downpour – Thoughts, Gameplay Video & New Screens!
http://silenthillhistoricalsociety.com/?p=8787
This is another Downpour gameplay video but this one is a kinda special as it's by yours truly and Cj from over on Rely on Horror/Hell Descent!

We were both invited down to Konami HQ to check out the game and I put my new video camera to use and recorded our play through. We are playing the Xbox 360 version and according to the Downpour Producers Devin Shatsky and Tomm Hulett it's the newest build that's never been shown before. I'm a little bummed we could only capture video of the playthrough with only my video camera, it really doesn't do the game justice.

Now I must warn you the areas we played through are not completely polished and you will see that many environments sill needed lighting re touches (as noted by the developer notes on screen) and we ran into a variety of small bugs too (flashlight turning off, music continuing to play, etc) that of course would be fixed before the release. Even though the Downpour we played wasn't completely polished it was still a thrill to experience and left us wanting to see more!

Our demo of the game started immediately after the prison transport bus crash, but we didn't start recording until we met Howard outside the diner. There's so rehash of area seen in previous gameplay videos but unlike the other demos our video will cover Murphy's entire trek through the Devil's Pitstop ("Best Price in the Area, Eat & Bed All in One) as he looks for a change of clothes and way out of town. Unfortunately for Murphy getting out of town is proving a lot harder then he thought...
My Websites!
Image Image Image
Hydra666
My Bestsellers Clerk

Re: 40 Minutes w/ Downpour – Thoughts, Video & New Screens

Post by Hydra666 »

The game looks good, but I don't really like how big the otherworlds are.
PoemOfTheLastMoment
Gravedigger

Post by PoemOfTheLastMoment »

We'll take your word for it...for now....;)

They SHOULD put a dedicated map button on the d-pad...what were they thinking?!
Now I Know, The Real Reason Why I Came To This Town....I Wonder....What Was I Afraid Of? Without You..I've Got Nothing...Now, We Can Be Together Again.....Mary.....
Monster
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Monster »

The game looks good, but I don't really like how big the otherworlds are
I don't think they're too big, again, they're just too brightly lit. It wouldn't look so big if you couldn't see for yards around you.
"Star Wars is like the thing that isn't remotely cool anymore but that nobody will stop talking about of my generation" -Me.
ashatteredmemory
Gravedigger

Post by ashatteredmemory »

IMHO the first transition from otherworld to foggy world is the coolest retransition done upto now :P
"Grown-ups tell kids there's no such thing as monsters, that the Bogeyman is just make-believe, and there's nothing hiding under their beds, but that's a lie. Because I've seen 'em." - Murphy Pendleton
redrum
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by redrum »

I love the transition from otherworld to fog world, a real mindfuck. Also I get the feeling this game could actually be creepy when playing
ww_andi
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by ww_andi »

IT looks fucking awesome, the otherworld just looks fantatic and has just what i have always liked in the silent hill games

Example: busting through and door and ending up right where you started like in sh2 when you are underground and then go through a door and are at sea level again

Example: thinks that dont make sense for instance when there was a puddle of water on the roof

i also think the combat works fine it has what you need without over doing it like homecoming

i also liked how long that crowbar was lasting a long time as it should.

i am so excited now and cant wait till this game comes out i will be a first day buyer
KiramidHead
Historical Society Historian

Post by KiramidHead »

This game actually looks really great to me now. I think I'll enjoy exploring the environments, and it looks genuinely creepy.

@Monster: If you look at the upper left of the screen, there's a note saying "lighting needs to be rebuilt." They may make it darker later on.
simeonalo
Historical Society Historian

Post by simeonalo »

These gameplay videos have really done justice to the game. Never before has Downpour made me feel so immersive, creeped out, and genuinely interested in detail until now.

Regarding the Screamer:
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
So, a female victim of some sort? Seems like it's a creature made for that other prisoner, I would love to see what aspects apply to Murphy, aside from the other prisoner, who (IMO) saw the Screamer as a woman. Those screams were awesomely horrific and that cutscene was well-done. Feels so much like the older games.
kumiko
Gravedigger

Post by kumiko »

good stuff whitney like it so far
Youma Taisan!
KingCrimson
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by KingCrimson »

simeonalo wrote:These gameplay videos have really done justice to the game. Never before has Downpour made me feel so immersive, creeped out, and genuinely interested in detail until now.

Regarding the Screamer:
So, a female victim of some sort? Seems like it's a creature made for that other prisoner, I would love to see what aspects apply to Murphy, aside from the other prisoner, who (IMO) saw the Screamer as a woman. Those screams were awesomely horrific and that cutscene was well-done. Feels so much like the older games.
I got the feeling they looked the same to both prisoners. Murphy thought the guy was beating up an innocent woman but he was just killing a monster. That's why he says "stop, you don't understand" or something.
thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by thy_butcher »

The Link won't work for me. :cry:
Can anyone help?
arthurdepr
Just Passing Through

Post by arthurdepr »

Wow... now I'm more excited than ever! I loved this, and it reminds me so much of the older games... and this is an awesome thing.

Also, the Screamer cutscene gave me the creeps... those screams were truly horrific and unsettling.
~ Evil shall with evil be expelled. ~
Number 7
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Number 7 »

I'm glad to hear the game's looking good. I don't really want to spoil that much of the game for myself, so I'm going to try to hold on and wait until...whenever this game comes out.

Hope I can wait that long.
"He's underground now. His new name is Number Seven."
Monster
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Monster »

Gotta say I dig the MC Escher thing goin on. It would be cool if you can traverse the same area in different orientations.
"Star Wars is like the thing that isn't remotely cool anymore but that nobody will stop talking about of my generation" -Me.
Piramit Kafa
Just Passing Through

Post by Piramit Kafa »

This actually looks good and I enjoyed the commentary as well. :)
There was a SIGNATURE here. It's gone now.
TGST
Just Passing Through

Post by TGST »

It seems that they aren't really sure yet whether they are going to push the release date to 2012 or not, judging by the end of the video where Shatsky said that they are hoping to release it really soon.
clips
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by clips »

Some of the screens look good,....i can't really comment on the vid since my job blocks youtube, but everything looks good...my only complaint thus far in some of the screens is the color palette....i'm not really fond of the red/blue/green color scheme...it makes it look too much like a cheesy haunted house feel. Maybe the vid will prove otherwise, but this is how i feel at the moment.
redrum
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by redrum »

clips wrote:Some of the screens look good,....i can't really comment on the vid since my job blocks youtube, but everything looks good...my only complaint thus far in some of the screens is the color palette....i'm not really fond of the red/blue/green color scheme...it makes it look too much like a cheesy haunted house feel. Maybe the vid will prove otherwise, but this is how i feel at the moment.
The screens don't do the game justice
SliceAndDice
Just Passing Through

Post by SliceAndDice »

Wow.. :D I really like what I´ve seen so far, but... Those Screamers look terribly tough. I haven´t read the whole article yet, so, sorry if you mentioned it anywhere, but, what difficulty setting were you guys playing on?