My December 2011 Preview: Hands on w Downpour & BoM

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

Monster
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Re: My December 2011 Preview: Hands on w Downpour & BoM

Post by Monster »

Downpour is looking better, but for the life of me I can't see where Book of Memories fits into the Silent Hill world.
"Star Wars is like the thing that isn't remotely cool anymore but that nobody will stop talking about of my generation" -Me.
jdnation
Historical Society Historian

Post by jdnation »

Great info!

I didn't see anything concerning the 3-D options, not even in the menus there... maybe the demo didn't support it? They announced that Downpour would be 3-D compatabile awhile back.

It's disappointing that once again the PS3 multiplatform game isn't on par with the 360, though that depends on how much of a difference it makes, or whether you noticed things right, as sometimes the way individual TVs are set up and what options are turned on or off can make a difference. BUt if the difference is minimal like say what it was with concern to HOmecoming, then it's entirely negligable for me.

Book of Memories still seems like a very odd duck to me... the sticking points to me are the larger co-op action-focus, hit statistics, and reuse of monsters. Would've preferred more co-op puzzle solving and exploration with minimal action and non-gamey elements within the isometric perspective and the theme of customization that Book of Memories is going for with regards to how it changes based on how you play. I'll wait to hear what you guys think of it before deciding whether to buy it or not.
thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by thy_butcher »

I was actually very interested in BoM. But the camera angle is a big turn-off for me, along with the RPG-elements.
I'm not saying it'll be bad, but I was hoping for a 2-player coop game that was more similar to Downpour or the older games. It just doesn't seem very frightening as it is.
I've never liked a game with that type of camera though...
Catch22
Subway Guard

Post by Catch22 »

thy_butcher wrote:I was actually very interested in BoM. But the camera angle is a big turn-off for me, along with the RPG-elements.
I'm not saying it'll be bad, but I was hoping for a 2-player coop game that was more similar to Downpour or the older games. It just doesn't seem very frightening as it is.
I've never liked a game with that type of camera though...
Yeah, I actually hate that camera angle. It removes me from the experience; it's a blatant reminder that I'm a spectator. Everything just seems so far away.

Also, yeah, the RPG elements are far too "videogamey" for my tastes, not to mention my dislike of overt RPG mechanics. Eh. I'll still be giving it a chance.
redrum
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by redrum »

The whole magic thing is a turn off for me, its just silly [BoM]
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

They should've made something like Silent Hill 0rigins on the Vita.

Remember how you could touch mirrors in that game and the world would change?

Well what if you just played in the first person view? Then you could have a scene where the Vita screen could've acted as a mirror with the camera tracking your head, erasing the stuff from the background and putting it in the game displayed on the screen.... Then when you touched the screen, everything would all go to hell!

It would be so Creepy! They could do all kinds of 4th wall breaking stuff and puzzles like that with all the new stuff Vita offers... you could use the gyros to look around your environment and touch things to interact with them...

That's how you do stuff differently and show me why a Silent Hill on a handheld can be great and do stuff the consoles do not!

Well they can still do a another one next time...
Catch22
Subway Guard

Post by Catch22 »

You raise some great points, jdnation. They aren't taking advantage of the Vita's hardware. In fact, BoM is something they could've easily done on the PSP. The graphics don't even look all that stellar compared to AAA PSP titles.

Ah, what could've been.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

They may still do that. BoM was made specifically to be multiplayer, not to show off the Vita, wasn't it?
The SH Champion
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by The SH Champion »

Whitney wrote:Image

3) Interview with Tomm Hulett: "BoM is a spinoff title that takes place in the canon Silent Hill universe"
What do you mean by "canon Silent Hill universe"? If you don't know mind me asking.
"The Fear of Blood tends to create fear for the flesh."
-Silent Hill
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

The SH Champion wrote:
Whitney wrote:Image

3) Interview with Tomm Hulett: "BoM is a spinoff title that takes place in the canon Silent Hill universe"
What do you mean by "canon Silent Hill universe"? If you don't know mind me asking.
It means it relies on the mythos of the Silent Hill games; it's not going to directly contradict everything (like the movie did), and it'll potentially add to the lore.
Munchy
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Munchy »

BoM just SCREAMS cheap ass money grab, much like the HD Collection. Why isn't WayForward making Castlevania as God intended?

Will grab Downpour, but those two look like shit.
Nillin
Hope House Careworker

Post by Nillin »

Munchy wrote:BoM just SCREAMS cheap ass money grab, much like the HD Collection. Why isn't WayForward making Castlevania as God intended?

How does Downpour look like "shit," exactly?
I once was lost, but am now profound.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

Nillin wrote:
Munchy wrote:BoM just SCREAMS cheap ass money grab, much like the HD Collection. Why isn't WayForward making Castlevania as God intended?

He was saying that the HD Collection and BoM "look like shit", which I disagree with, but... yeah.
Nillin
Hope House Careworker

Post by Nillin »

Yuki wrote:
Nillin wrote:

He was saying that the HD Collection and BoM "look like shit", which I disagree with, but... yeah.
Well, when he said "those two" I assumed he meant both Downpour and BoM.
I once was lost, but am now profound.
warfare315
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by warfare315 »

Thanks a lot for the info! I still want Downpour (5 days!), and I still want nothing to do with Book of Memories! :)
Another frequency perpetuated into context, trapped in the eternal paradox.
vaporeyesofficial.bandcamp.com
Facebook.com/vaporeyesofficial
raptor112
Just Passing Through

Post by raptor112 »

Maybe if Book of Memories becomes downloadable and playable on my PS3 I'll get it but I'm not willing to buy a vita for one or two games....though I can't wait for Downpour to come out