"A Storm is Coming in Silent Hill: Downpour" (New preview)

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

Huh? Radio?
Just Passing Through

"A Storm is Coming in Silent Hill: Downpour" (New preview)

Post by Huh? Radio? »

Silent Hill: Downpour is probably not the Silent Hill game you're expecting, maybe even hoping for. Many of the calling cards from previous Silent Hill games, including a score by Akira Yamaoka, heavy exploration elements, and even much of the town itself won't be appearing in the game. Instead, it will focus on combat and puzzles, new previously unexplored areas of the town, and a new mechanic involving rain (hence the name, Downpour). However, after playing the recent build, I can say that this is the most engaging time I've had with a Silent Hill game in years.

When we had last seen Silent Hill: Downpour, it was not in good shape. As our own preview makes clear, there is certainly some potential, but it needed more development time. The pessimistic tone was certainly warranted, since at the time the game was scheduled to release a month following the preview in October. However, it seems that Konami was aware of the issues plaguing the game, and made the right move by pushing it to March. This is the first we've seen of the game since its delay, and fortunately for survival horror fans, it seems to have improved quite a bit.

To be sure, Silent Hill: Downpour is a marked departure from the rest of the series. The game feels more action-oriented than previous Silent Hill games, and a bit more linear. You were a bit freer to explore the town and check out your surroundings in other games in the franchise, but Downpour goes a more cinematic route, moving you from set piece to set piece quickly (and often violently).

Silent Hill: Downpour's story follows a prisoner named Murphy Pendleton who's en route from one prison facility to another when his bus crashes. He emerges from the wreckage in, you guessed it, the town of Silent Hill. So far, we've only seen a little bit of Murphy's story and only gotten a piece of his personality, but as the plot unfolds we will understand more of what makes Murphy tick.

Combat also plays a very important part in Downpour, but not in the traditional sense. As in other Silent Hill games, guns and ammo are hard to come by, and when facing down enemies you'll often have to get up close and personal to take them out. In order to do so, you'll have to grab melee weapons, which include wrenches, knives, and sometimes even rocks or sticks found on the ground. Harder weapons like wrenches and rocks can be used to bust through locks and give you access to new areas. Unfortunately, melee weapons will degrade after use and eventually bust, and you can only hold one at a time. You'll constantly discard and recover melee weapons, giving a dynamic quality to the combat. While the combat was still a little floaty and detached feeling at this point, there's still time for it to be cleaned up before launch.

While some gameplay elements have changed, Downpour still retains the ominous feelings of dread from other Silent Hill games.

The first time Murphy gets transported to the alternate, nightmarish Otherworld is exactly what it should be; confusing, harrowing, and terrifying. The sequence is filled with strange imagery: cages filled with hobbled together body parts, dilapidated walls, and strange collages of destroyed furniture, moving walls, even an old record player with "Born Free" playing on it. Additionally, a crackling ball of light will chase you down, spelling death for Murphy if it manages to get too close and requiring that you haul ass to escape it. Otherworld felt like a hell of Murphy's own making; the aforementioned song, bars slamming shut the way through, the out of control feeling of sliding down a slope and dodging spikes, all seemed to play on and even taunt Murphy's incarceration. The sequence in the Otherworld was definitely a standout of my time with Downpour, and embodied the horror feel of the franchise extremely well.

As someone who felt the series peaked at Silent Hill 2, my time with Downpour was definitely a positive experience. While the game's general mechanics feel like a shift from the traditional survival horror feel we've come to expect from the franchise in favor of something more action oriented, the overall feeling of dread and suspense has been ported over admirably. It hasn't been something I've said in a while now, but Silent Hill is back on my radar.
http://au.ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1215926p1.html
Glenn
Gravedigger

Re: "A Storm is Coming in Silent Hill: Downpour" (New previe

Post by Glenn »

Wow so we've got a big burst of SH Downpour news today! I'm glad to hear another positive article, although there seems to be discrepencies about how much combat will be in the game. From the tone of this article, it seems like this game might have more combat than Homecoming.
FrankRD
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by FrankRD »

IGN wrote:The game feels more action-oriented than previous Silent Hill games, and a bit more linear. You were a bit freer to explore the town and check out your surroundings in other games in the franchise, but Downpour goes a more cinematic route, moving you from set piece to set piece quickly (and often violently).
Am I the only one extremely confused by this? :?

How is this game more action-oriented than Homecoming when the options of different combat and puzzle difficulties have been shown to be available? Hell, Tomm even said in the latest interview with GamesRadar that those who love puzzles and loathe combat could even reduce combat to almost none. One of their prime objectives with this game was to change that exact same thing from Homecoming.

And just how is this game more linear than Shattered Memories when they've amped up the exploration to the most they can to prevent it from being linear? Which, brings me back to their statement about this game being less about exploration than previous games? :shock: Let's not forget the sidequests this game has which will undoubtedly have some kind of effect on the progress of the storyline and even your ending.

I'm simply not sure what IGN's fuss is about. But well, let's face the facts, they played the game and I haven't.
Catch22
Subway Guard

Post by Catch22 »

I'm also somewhat confused. In the new Developer Demo, Tomm specifically says that the town is bigger than in previous games, with more of places to explore, and he also said that there is less of a focus on combat than in Homecoming. The demo seemed to suggest that what he was saying is true.

Perhaps this writer played the older, more linear and combat-oriented demo. Judging by the fact that he mentions the vortex chase scene, that seems to be the case.
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

Tomm also says that the game is about 30 percent combat and 70 percent exploration/puzzles. I'd go with what the developers say in terms of content myself.
Kenji
Historical Society Historian

Post by Kenji »

I think the reviewer was referring to "the old games," which probably meant 1 and 2, because I don't think any Silent Hill can get more linear than 3.
Huh? Radio?
Just Passing Through

Post by Huh? Radio? »

Catch22 wrote:I'm also somewhat confused. In the new Developer Demo, Tomm specifically says that the town is bigger than in previous games, with more of places to explore, and he also said that there is less of a focus on combat than in Homecoming. The demo seemed to suggest that what he was saying is true.

Perhaps this writer played the older, more linear and combat-oriented demo. Judging by the fact that he mentions the vortex chase scene, that seems to be the case.
When the developer says there is "more to explore" they aren't necessarily saying you can freely roam the environments, they are just saying that the game itself will be larger and not whether it will be linear or not.

The author was also very specific in pointing out that this is a newer build of the game.

While it could be the case that they were playing with combat turned way up or they were in a combat heavy area, I'm more inclined to listen to the journalists on this rather than the developer/marketing. The journalists tell you exactly what they are playing and experiencing while the developer/marketing team are just going to tell you what you want to hear and tend to keep everything ambiguous.
Kenji

Post by Kenji »

Amusing you'd say that, since video game journalism is rather notorious for its non-journalistic behavior. The way they receive kickbacks, the way they tow marketing lines, the way they punish dissenters when it comes to AAA games (whose publishers have already paid for a good review). Words like this from IGN could just as likely mean legitimate problems with the game as the company not receiving enough compensation to publish a glowing review.

(of course, that's not to say it was a bad preview, as the writer said this game put the series back on the map for him; however, the contradictions are pretty fundamental and ought to be resolved somehow... perhaps a demo on PSN and Live?)
Huh? Radio?
Just Passing Through

Post by Huh? Radio? »

Kenji wrote:Amusing you'd say that, since video game journalism is rather notorious for its non-journalistic behavior. The way they receive kickbacks, the way they tow marketing lines, the way they punish dissenters when it comes to AAA games (whose publishers have already paid for a good review). Words like this from IGN could just as likely mean legitimate problems with the game as the company not receiving enough compensation to publish a glowing review.

(of course, that's not to say it was a bad preview, as the writer said this game put the series back on the map for him; however, the contradictions are pretty fundamental and ought to be resolved somehow... perhaps a demo on PSN and Live?)
Come on now let's be a bit more realistic, this is a positive preview that is simply pointing how the game is playing at this point.

I'm just saying you guys might want to consider this is how the game is going to play rather than dismissing it and saying the guy is playing it wrong. Better to know what you are getting than to expect something else and be extremely disappointed.
PyramidFace
Just Passing Through

Post by PyramidFace »

Huh? Radio? wrote:the developer/marketing team are just going to tell you what you want to hear and tend to keep everything ambiguous.
Well I do better than just say it, I prove it.

Count the creatures in that segment.

It's a little silly to be freaking out about what IGN said given the countless other sites that are in agreement on the exact opposite.

As for kickbacks to the media, etc. - that actually doesn't happen. I'm really good friends with the EIC of 1up.com - look at their reviews for Shattered Memories, Rocket Knight, et al.
Huh? Radio?
Just Passing Through

Post by Huh? Radio? »

I'm not suggesting that it is going to be exactly as IGN have wrote here, I'm saying just in case it is it will be better to be prepared for that style of game.

Either way I am looking forward to this game a lot more than I was 6 months ago. I am so glad they delayed Downpour, it seems to have helped the game tremendously.
_Drake_
Hope House Careworker

Post by _Drake_ »

Told you guys that the delay was a good thing. Releasing it back in October would've been suicide.

~Drake

"Oh it get's to me alright" - Vincent
My Silent Hill Fanfic, Silent Hill: Spiritual Dissonance
thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by thy_butcher »

The IGN article was talking about the beginning of the game, which is much less open & combat-focused. Tomm clarified that in a recent interview I believe. He said once you make it into the town fully, things open up a bit & the fast-paced style of the beginning takes a back seat to semi-non-linearity, exploration, sidequests, etc.
FrankRD
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by FrankRD »

thy_butcher wrote:The IGN article was talking about the beginning of the game, which is much less open & combat-focused. Tomm clarified that in a recent interview I believe. He said once you make it into the town fully, things open up a bit & the fast-paced style of the beginning takes a back seat to semi-non-linearity, exploration, sidequests, etc.
Ah, I see.

Thanks for clarifying thy_butcher.
Huh? Radio?
Just Passing Through

Post by Huh? Radio? »

thy_butcher wrote:The IGN article was talking about the beginning of the game, which is much less open & combat-focused. Tomm clarified that in a recent interview I believe. He said once you make it into the town fully, things open up a bit & the fast-paced style of the beginning takes a back seat to semi-non-linearity, exploration, sidequests, etc.
Thanks for the clarification, that sounds awesome! :mrgreen:
sh#1fan

Post by sh#1fan »

Whew...~

I hope thats true. If there is no exporing I will go INSANE!!!!
If its just rush rush from 1 area to the next i will break the game and throw it at someone i dont like LMAO :D
oO?
The SH Champion
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by The SH Champion »

what does everyone mean by linear?
"The Fear of Blood tends to create fear for the flesh."
-Silent Hill
Apocali
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Apocali »

The SH Champion wrote:what does everyone mean by linear?
A game that's level design lacks branching paths and exploration, usually railroading the player through areas. The worst kind of linear is usually just straight corridors.
teosoleil
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by teosoleil »

...or rail-shooters through straight corridors.
Silent Fantasy

Post by Silent Fantasy »

or ffxiii. but this game seems amazing thus far. im gonna love having so much sh in march. its been too long.
WARNING: Some Parts of Reality May Seem Violent or Cruel.