You may need to turn the volume down.

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

DMChristensen
Just Passing Through

Re: You may need to turn the volume down.

Post by DMChristensen »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K50XVoCB ... ature=plcp
Part 2. The guys don't stop talking all that much except for cutscenes. I like the way this game starts off. Vatra seems to really know what they are doing.
jdnation
Historical Society Historian

Post by jdnation »

Noticed a lot of technicaly issues - framerate drops, screen tearing, pop in of fog and textures, even clipping. But the dude said in the comments that this was an old build, so hopefully all that is fixed. Otherwise the game itself is looking cool.

Some things to notice -
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
- Seems the story is tied to an event in Murphy's childhood.
- It is raining, so this leads me to believe it's not a fear of water so much as water/rain has to do with an event in the past simply by occuring at the time.
- Murphy dislikes crows. They're constantly showing up. You even get to throw a tool at one to shoo it away. Perhaps they were present there in the past.
- There is a constant running theme of 'accidents' - note: bus crash, trees falling, diner fire etc. I expect to see many more.
- Reference to cars - Murphy's childlike fascination with an old vehicle. Postman calling it a 'wicked old beast' - car accident?
- women: aside from the obvious monsters there is also the attempt to save the female cop (if you want to - decisions determine your past/ending), also the women's washroom scene (foreshadowing?)
- I'd guess Murphy was probably a childhood friend with another girl who might've been his neighbor. They played together, running around, climbing stuff, sneaking into places. Some accident happens that Murphy may be partially responsible for or ignored her to save his own hide or out of fear (probably determined by your decisions in game). His mind is therefore tortured, disturbed he seeks justice upon himself, perhaps turning to crime as a subliminal resort because he wants to be caught, imprisoned and punished.
DMChristensen
Just Passing Through

Post by DMChristensen »

jdnation wrote:
- I'd guess Murphy was probably a childhood friend with another girl who might've been his neighbor. They played together, running around, climbing stuff, sneaking into places. Some accident happens that Murphy may be partially responsible for or ignored her to save his own hide or out of fear (probably determined by your decisions in game). His mind is therefore tortured, disturbed he seeks justice upon himself, perhaps turning to crime as a subliminal resort because he wants to be caught, imprisoned and punished.
That is an interesting theory, but it appears this game is going to be about revenge, too.
thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by thy_butcher »

I'm ok with little things like clipping. But if an entire building or some trees just pop-in to view; I'll be disappointed.
Aerith Gainsborough

Post by Aerith Gainsborough »

Maybe Murphy grew up a farmer's son, and he grew to have a huge dislike of crows and lots of rain, since both ruin good crops. Then one day this guy had better crops than he did and won the biggest prize for the best pumpkin, which lead Murphy to seek revenge and kill the guy. The End (No, I'm not being serious).

I was born a ramblin' maaaaan...
I'm rarely on the forums anymore. Click here for ways to reach me.
Alex420
Just Passing Through

Post by Alex420 »

This lighting makes me a sad panda. :(
Hope they can work on the graphics a little more... fix the v-sync, screen tearing, texture pop in, etc.

"Amy" got bashed because of the technical graphic issues.
I don't want the same thing to happen to Downpour.
I seriously WANT this game to be a success.
Arsenic13
Just Passing Through

Post by Arsenic13 »

I seriously think this build is a lower version. Konami has a bad habit of presenting old and unpolished code for previews--sometimes even official screens. The game did not look like this when I played it. I doubt we'll have a case of graphics getting worse.
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

I believe the guys commented to the technical concerns on youtube, saying this was an old build of the game...
SGTCOOL
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by SGTCOOL »

There are plenty of graphical quirks associated with the Unreal Engine that I'm just expecting to happen, like texture pop-in and less than stellar real time shadows.
StagBeetle
Just Passing Through

Post by StagBeetle »

Wow that Korn song is really terrible.
Fjaa
Fjaa
Fj
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

New Gameplay exploration clip, no spoilers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3JkI3fCuw8
- Probably showing side mission
- Review build. Still some noticeable technical issues but much better.
- Music and sound seem good.
thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by thy_butcher »

^ Nice video jdnation!
Right before Murphy encounters the Screamer, isn't that his radio going off due to the Screamer's presence?
If so... I love it!
raptor112
Just Passing Through

Post by raptor112 »

That was a really good video, I like how murphy's shirt was bloody and he was slightly clutching his wound
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

Adding to my theory...
The gameplay emphasis on crossing over logs and narrow ledges and bridges and Murphy's heartbeat and vertigo makes me more certain his past has to do with accidents and someone falling, probably a girl, probably over water where she drowned. The choice we make to help or flee probably determine our past actions in the situation.
Damn It All
Just Passing Through

Post by Damn It All »

Great gameplay video. I also enjoyed the wound clutching and the like. There was one instance where he picked up an ax to open up a boarded door and I thought that was cool how it added to the realism of finding a necessary tool to open up that door but not needing to carry it along with you.

The screamer fight seemed alright, though a bit easy. Obviously its a demo so I suppose I should treat it as such.

The idea behind keeping a note book and stuff and cycling through it (in what I believe to be real time? Not sure) was awesome. The exploration seems like its going back to roots (such as 1 and 2 ((but not so much 3 and DEFINITELY not 4)).

Is it me or is it entirely too bright? I'M ONLY NITPICKING BACK TO BED

EDIT:
Watched it again and wanted to add two more things.

The note book thing is not in real time and I should have my brain checked.

Is that occasional police siren going off every now and then the radio?
The Heart is heaven but the Mind is Hell. - Tom Waits
thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by thy_butcher »

^ Like I said earlier, I think THAT is Murphy's radio. I think just like in previous games, it warned him of a possible danger. It went off right before the Screamer appeared.