Silent Hill: Downpour OST track listing revealed

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

Loveless_Dogg
Historical Society Historian

Re: Silent Hill: Downpour OST track listing revealed

Post by Loveless_Dogg »

I actually like this track. I give it my blessing.
Value your failures more than your successes. Successes only last until someone screws them up. Failures are forever. She left...and...I'm lost.
VIVIsect

Post by VIVIsect »

As mentioned in this (locked) thread, Amazon has released previews of each individual track.

Also, the music for "Clowning Around With Monsters" sounds as ridiculous as the name.
nobody is anybody
Martee
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Martee »

VIVIsect wrote:As mentioned in this (locked) thread, Amazon has released previews of each individual track.

Also, the music for "Clowning Around With Monsters" sounds as ridiculous as the name.
Previews sound generic and boring.
Maybe I'm being short sighted but the track names bug/worry me a little. If you look down the list of tracks it appears to play out in the order of the trailers/demos that we've seen/played so far with a couple of jumbled tracks in between:
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
2. Intro (Bit from the trailer in the prison)
3. In The Ravine (I'm guessing bit from the trailer with the cop)
4. Bus To Nowhere (We go back to the bus? Or this could be a jumbled track and actually plays while on the bus at the start)
5. Meet JP (Meeting the postman?)
6. Stalking for Dinner (The bit from the demo in the diner?)
8. Railcar Ride (The bit from the demo on the way to the devil's pit)
13. Welcome to Devil's Pit (The Devil's Pit demo)
16. Town Rain (In the town)

So if we make a guess from the track titles it would appear there are only around 5 major areas to the game.

1. The area after the bus crash.
2. The Diner
3. The Devil's Pit
4. The Town
5. A Church/Monastery?

Granted they could have cut a lot of tracks from the soundtrack but hrmmm. I really hope there is more to the game than this.
Also I do realise 'The Town' as an area could be huge, but then why aren't there any tracks that are like 'Dont go in the bank!' 'Dont go in the antique shop!'.
My supply fell through...
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

I'm listening to the previews on Amazon right now. I like how some of the songs sound, but i'm more interested in seeing how they're used in game. Clowning around with monsters doesn't really sound bad to me, it just strikes me as a song probably played during a boss fight, or maybe during a part where you're chased/swarmed by a number of monsters in an amusement park or something.
thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by thy_butcher »

I'm refraining from listening. I want to hear them in-game first. I feel that they would resonate with me more if I can connect them to my experience with Downpour; just like all previous SH music.
VIVIsect

Post by VIVIsect »

Martee wrote:Previews sound generic and boring.
Agreed.

Honestly, I don't really dig anything I've heard from the soundtrack so far. It mostly just sounds like generic background music. I'm sure it'll work just fine in-game, but I doubt I'll be listening to any of these tracks 10 years from now, like I do with a lot of Yamaoka's earlier work.
nobody is anybody
Wigeke
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Wigeke »

VIVIsect wrote: Also, the music for "Clowning Around With Monsters" sounds as ridiculous as the name.
It really does, also most of the music seem kind of unfitting for this kind of game. Some of the tracks could work on a sneaking game like Metal Gear.
Tillerman
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Tillerman »

A lot of it sounds very similar to music from Dexter, although I think the music in Dexter is better. I honestly don't think Licht was trying very hard when he made this... if those samples are representative of what the game's soundtrack will be like, then this is probably the weakest, most forgettable SH soundtrack. I mean, I guess it's easy to take a game's soundtrack lightly, maybe he figured "it's just a video game score, no one's gonna care that much."
Aerith Gainsborough

Post by Aerith Gainsborough »

Wigeke wrote:
VIVIsect wrote: Also, the music for "Clowning Around With Monsters" sounds as ridiculous as the name.
It really does, also most of the music seem kind of unfitting for this kind of game. Some of the tracks could work on a sneaking game like Metal Gear.
Agreed. Trauma_ and I were talking about this exact track yesterday. I think it would be a great track if they omitted the ridiculous laughter.

The OST is okay. That's all it is. It's nicely composed, but it sounds like George of the Jungle meets Tomb Raider most of the time.
I'm rarely on the forums anymore. Click here for ways to reach me.
NanayaShiki
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator

Post by NanayaShiki »

I think these clips are too short to really judge. For all we know, some of these tracks drastically change during the song. Plus, past OSTs have had the soundtrack versions be very different from the in-game versions. I say we wait and see.

That being said, I do like what I hear. I'm not as hyped for this OST as I was for Shattered Memories (which I still love the music from), and I probably won't listen to it as much as I do the OSTs for SH2 and SH3. But it sounds good, I like it, and it'll likely fit into the game well enough.
pink_isnt_well000

Post by pink_isnt_well000 »

That intro in my opinion is better than anything Akira did post SH4. I love Dan's work on Dexter. If something from this soundtrack reminds me of his work on the show I'm not going to piss and moan about it.
Hydra666
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Hydra666 »

Meh... I don't get a SH vibe out of this. Sure, it is good, but... It doesn't fits SH IMO. Some tracks remind me of Dexter, while other tracks remind me of MGS, and those ethnic percussions don't fit SH's style. But Daniel never seemed to enjoy Akira's work. When people asks him what soundtrack did he prefered, he answers SH2's OST but nothing more. I feel like he has no real passion for Akira's music, and that's a problem.

The second track is awesome tho.
NanayaShiki

Post by NanayaShiki »

That's not a problem. Nobody said that the music in this game was going to sound exactly like Akira's music. It's a different musician, there's not way he would have been able to try to mimic and emulate Akira without it coming off as hollow and cheap. He has to make the music that he makes. I'd take this music any day over someone trying to emulate something else just to be safe. This game is going to have a different sound to it than previous games, that's the way it should be. This is a new game.
ashatteredmemory
Gravedigger

Post by ashatteredmemory »

I actually like the music from the previews, and yes, some indeed seem 'un-silent-hill-like', (especially the monastery otherworld), but we have to keep in mind, it's a new composer, and art-style also has gone in another direction. Hell, i even like monastery otherworld just for sounding so different. Granted, some things still sound quite odd, especially the railcar ride, that's the one that really stood out as completely not Silent Hill.

But for what i've seen in the previews and gameplays, the music isn't exactly the one audible in the previews and is altered.
"Grown-ups tell kids there's no such thing as monsters, that the Bogeyman is just make-believe, and there's nothing hiding under their beds, but that's a lie. Because I've seen 'em." - Murphy Pendleton
Hydra666
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Hydra666 »

NanayaShiki wrote:That's not a problem. Nobody said that the music in this game was going to sound exactly like Akira's music. It's a different musician, there's not way he would have been able to try to mimic and emulate Akira without it coming off as hollow and cheap. He has to make the music that he makes. I'd take this music any day over someone trying to emulate something else just to be safe. This game is going to have a different sound to it than previous games, that's the way it should be. This is a new game.
I didn't say I wanted the music to be the same as Akira's. But there is a particular feel to the traditional SH music that has to remain. What made SH's music so special is that it was original: Gloomy and smooth pads, haunting melodies, etc..

While what I hear in this video is good music, but not the music I want for a Silent Hill game. I mean, it sounds like this music could be from any movie/game, it doesn't seem to really belong to a SH game.
ww_andi
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by ww_andi »

i am fine with the music and i feel it has that horror theme which is what we need that is all,
yes its different but i think it will work in the game
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

NanayaShiki wrote:That's not a problem. Nobody said that the music in this game was going to sound exactly like Akira's music. It's a different musician, there's not way he would have been able to try to mimic and emulate Akira without it coming off as hollow and cheap. He has to make the music that he makes. I'd take this music any day over someone trying to emulate something else just to be safe. This game is going to have a different sound to it than previous games, that's the way it should be. This is a new game.
This, so so so much. We have only heard tiny clips of each song, and we don't know the context they'll be used in. Silent Hill music can evolve, just as Final Fantasy music, Persona music, and Zelda music have.
PyramidFace
Just Passing Through

Post by PyramidFace »

Hydra666 wrote: it sounds like this music could be from any movie/game.
Of course it does - you haven't played the game it belongs to yet.
Hydra666
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Hydra666 »

PyramidFace wrote:
Hydra666 wrote: it sounds like this music could be from any movie/game.
Of course it does - you haven't played the game it belongs to yet.
It has nothing to do with the game. :roll: I don't need to play the game to hear and judge the music. I'm tired of this "stopnotlikingwhatIlike" attitude. >MY OPINION< on those previews is that It doesn't fits SH's atmosphere even if it sounds great. The pads are not deep enough, I don't feel any artistic beauty I feel when I listen to Akira's music. Don't get me wrong, I was really happy when they said they hired Daniel Licht for the score, the interviews where promising and all... But from these previews, I mostly don't feel like I'm hearing a SH soundtrack.
Maybe I'll enjoy the full tracks since most of them seem to be progressive.

CrypticIdentity wrote:New full track, "Jump Monster":

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/music/2616

Or, the SoundCloud link:

http://soundcloud.com/milanrecords/dani ... nster-from

I like it.
This is great. I absolutely love the rythm and the whole feel. That's why I'm still curious to hear the full soundtrack.

Bus To Nowhere seems boring in the preview but the full song is epic (we can hear it in the video with the german guys)