Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

ImmortalGrey
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

One Week to Launch - Your feelings?

Post by ImmortalGrey »

Hey guys!

I just wanted to swing by and see what the general thoughts/feelings of everyone is now that we're just a week away from launch. Forum seems a bit quiet. (compared to the last release)

I saw a feature on GameStop TV the other day that looked like it was using pretty dated footage on the game (we're talking the first E3 they unveiled gameplay footage at), and I've been digging trying to verify that they've made things a bit more polished in the time they've had to work on it. Of course graphics aren't really a big deal for a Silent Hill game, but I would like to be able to play without getting distracted. xD

So are we pretty excited about this? I am really trying but I can't help but be cautious as usual. I was super elated about Homecoming while I was playing it (apart from cussing at the crazy difficulty-spiked boss battles), but after the initial play-through high passed me by, I was a bit disappointed with it.

I need this game to be good. Thoughts?
[b][i]Out of my head and I don't know what I found.
Over and over I feel it break me down.
On the sidewalk of the city.
Are my screams just a whisper? [/b][/i]
TomWaltz
Just Passing Through

Re: One Week to Launch - Your feelings?

Post by TomWaltz »

I'm pretty excited.

;)
Tom Waltz
Senior Staff Writer / Editor
IDW Publishing
http://www.idwpublishing.com
Martee
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Martee »

I'm not very excited, but I'm hoping that will work in Downpours favour. When I get excited about things I'm usually let down. I've been trying to keep away from the game and any info as best as I can, not that there has really been a massive amount given away. Though now that it's quite close to release I can't help but feel something and no doubt I'll be jumping around my house when my copy arrives.

I've actually said it before but I'll say it again here. I'm more excited about Book of Memories right now because it sounds like something completely different and fun. Should be a good distraction to help me loosen up about the franchise and hopefully enjoy any other 'serious' installments.
(Though I don't own a Vita, woe is me.)
My supply fell through...
Yuki
Historical Society Historian

Post by Yuki »

I'm excited. The graphics look fine to me, the gameplay looks alright, and the storyline's intriguing. I'm excited, though I can't get it right away.
Kenji

Post by Kenji »

I could wait. I could wait a long time.

If I weren't contractually obligated to keep my preorder, I'd be tempted to wait a long time (if for no other reason than budgeting). :wink:

But, as it is, we'll see how this goes. I hope it goes well.
The SH Champion
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by The SH Champion »

I'm am very excited. I've never been around for a Silent Hill release and I've always loved the series. Downpour looks pretty good, but it has some very big shoes to fill.
"The Fear of Blood tends to create fear for the flesh."
-Silent Hill
Typographenia

Post by Typographenia »

I wish I was picking it up day-of, but I'll be joining the party soon enough. Hoping this sells well.
ImmortalGrey
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by ImmortalGrey »

Martee wrote:I've actually said it before but I'll say it again here. I'm more excited about Book of Memories right now because it sounds like something completely different and fun. Should be a good distraction to help me loosen up about the franchise and hopefully enjoy any other 'serious' installments.
(Though I don't own a Vita, woe is me.)
Having just picked up my Vita the other day I'll have to look more into this title, I didn't really give it much of a chance since when I originally saw it I was more interested in the home console version of Silent Hill.

---

I've combed through some newer releases of screenshots, and it does look like what I saw was a montage of outdated footage, I'd expect nothing less from GameStop TV.

I just got my digital issue of the new Game Informer, the reviewer gave the game a 7, and would not stop bitching about the combat system. He claims it is so bad, he avoided combat altogether. The final line of the review reads: "I left Silent Hill feeling the same as I do when I leave a haunted house close to closing time, sick and tired of having cages lazily rattled at me." It should also be noted that the writer compares this new entry to that of Dead Space and Amnesia, both games that focus a lot more on intense scares. I prefer my Silent Hill games to be more atmospherically focused anyway.

Pretty harsh, but we know Silent Hill to be a bit of a niche following nowadays. I just hope I can enjoy the game without having to sit back afterward and make excuses for the developers where the game wasn't as strong. =/
[b][i]Out of my head and I don't know what I found.
Over and over I feel it break me down.
On the sidewalk of the city.
Are my screams just a whisper? [/b][/i]
redrum
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by redrum »

Kill
All
Americans

Other than that, not too bothered just yet, with 21 days left
Apocali
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Apocali »

I'm actually kind of ambivalent, the series as a whole has been in a downward spiral for years. I haven't played a SH I didn't like to some degree, but the series is just squandering its own potential and Konami is just leaving it to flounder. I do hope Downpour is closer to the quality of the original trilogy, its got some nice ideas but how player choices are made and some other things leave me worried, also the fact that its been really under the radar. I'm getting the game regardless, though how quickly depends on the quality. I'm really hoping it has a great plot and characters though, I can easily forgive flawed gameplay if a game can pull that off.
VIVIsect

Post by VIVIsect »

I've really been on the fence with this one, but Downpour will probably end up being the second Silent Hill game that I opt-out of. I just haven't read/seen/heard anything about the title that really "connects" with me, personally. I'm sure it'll be playable and some people will really enjoy it, but it's not looking like my cup of tea.
nobody is anybody
Axel_98
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Axel_98 »

I'm pretty excited. I think that anything after homecoming is going to be breath of fresh air. With all the sidequests it looks like it might be a longer play-through experience than previously expected so that is a plus.
~The Bird of Hermes is My Name; Eating My Wings to Make Me Tame~
Soulless-Shadow
Subway Guard

Post by Soulless-Shadow »

I can take it or leave it. I still want to play it, eventually, but for now it's not really a day one purchase. I can wait until it's cheaper.

Having said that, I'm tempted to buy and play it as soon as possible just to avoid having some moron spoil it for me. Some moron spoiled Shattered Memories because they were unable to grasp the simple concept of not only spoiler tags, but not posting major spoilers in unrelated and non-spoiler threads (yeah, I'm still whinging about that :P ). The only thing holding me back though, is money. Currently there's no way in hell I would be able to afford Downpour until it's cheap. :( (also, got a big backlog of games I'm trying to work my way through...though I suppose I could put them on hold, again...)

Overall though, I'm hoping it's a good game. Despite 0rigins and Homcoming's flaws, I still enjoyed them, so I'm expecting to enjoying Downpour as well, regardless of any possible problems. So, really, not all that excited, but hopeful... :?
Martee wrote:I'm not very excited, but I'm hoping that will work in Downpours favour. When I get excited about things I'm usually let down. I've been trying to keep away from the game and any info as best as I can, not that there has really been a massive amount given away.
Same here on both counts. I find if I don't have high expectations, or if I'm not excited about something, I enjoy it more. I've also been avoiding too much info as I like going into games with as little knowledge as possible so everything is a surprise. :D
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

I unfortunately had to cancel my preorder due to my son needing things. Hopefully I'll have it by April.
clips
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by clips »

I gotta admit..i'am a little excited for this game, but i think it's alot of me just going thru a SH drought more than anything..i need my SH fix and i've been waiting a long time for a decent SH title to come thru. I think the game will fair better than homecoming, but there are a few issues that have me concerned.

The game looks good visually and SH itself looks damp and drab....early reviews looks to be having this game in the 7-7.5's which actually sounds about right for a SH title.
SilverWolfPet
Just Passing Through

Post by SilverWolfPet »

I don't have money to buy it right now... so I can't say I'm all that excited. I love how the game looks and feels... but ultimately, I know I won't be playing it for quite some time after its release.

Also, to avoid spoilers, I'll have to stay away from the forums too... :/ All in all, I'm happy for those who play it, but personally I can't say that it does much for me. Why are games so expensive...
bratpack
Just Passing Through

Post by bratpack »

My feelings?

YOU LUCKY BASTARDS!!!! IV GOT 3 WEEKS MORE WAITING TO DO!!!

lol im gonna have to avoid everything SILENT HILL related on the net dont wanna spoil myself
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

To be honest im not as excited as I once was. Im still going to get it on releae day, but I was more excited for homecoming. I also recently met a gal and shes been stealing all of my gaming time.. So it may take me longer than usual to complete the game. plus im also playing thru skyrim ATM.

my only big complaint is that it looks as if combat took a step backwards.. but hopefully the exploration will makeup for that.
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

I'm pretty excited, since Amazon gave me release day shipping for a buck. Also, it tends to be rainy in March-April around here, so the atmosphere is great.
thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by thy_butcher »

I'm extremely excited about Downpour. Since its announcement in 2010, I've had anticipation building-up. Nothing that I know about the game turns me off.
I like the premise.
I love the art direction.
I know I'm a minority on this, but I think the combat mechanics look wonderful.
The sidequests are an amazing addition. It'll give me a reason to explore.

So yeah, I'm pumped. I have been for two years.
Woo!