The Downpour Startegy Guide

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

Jort
Just Passing Through

Re: The Downpour Startegy Guide

Post by Jort »

I usually get strategy guides for those handful of games that I really get sucked into and want to complete 100% every year. They're usually fairly inexpensive, and to me it's another way of enjoying certain aspects of the game whenever I can't actually play it, just like it's great fun to discuss it on forums or look up on certain stuff on the internet. I usually never even touch the walkthrough section of such guides before actually finishing the game myself, unless I get so stuck it starts to annoy me. For me it's more of a collecting thing as well. Physical guides are great for maps and definitive lists of things though, like Typographenia said, I think it's still a lot handier, quicker and prettier than a text-based guide online.
I've read poor reviews on the strategy guide though, stating that it's even a bit confusing in the way it's written, and that you have to flip from one section of the book to another pretty often. The lists in there are said to be incomplete, with the weapons list excluding several items, the screenshots accompanying the guide are said to be irrelevant or unhelpful most of the time, the sidequests are all over the place instead of being clearly sorted, etc. The maps are also said to be not really clear-cut, which is a shame since that's what I usually get a guide for in the first place. It also didn't include the codes for many of the lockers, although that can be understood since they are supposed to be pre-order bonuses, and tbh I couldn't care less about the bonus weapons anyway.
Are any other companies making guides for Downpour though? I don't really care about the actual walkthrough of the main plot, I just want a good map, a list of all the items (like key items, artifacts, weapons, etc.), a list of the creatures, a clear list of the sidequests, list of the endings, maybe a plot analysis or something.
Maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part though :P
Calamity
Historical Society Historian

Re: The Downpour Startegy Guide

Post by Calamity »

We do already have a topic for the strategy guide which you can find here:

http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=24406

Since it's in the spoiler section I will just link it and close this to avoid merging your topic just incase you haven't beat the game in. Read at your own risk if you haven't. ;) As of right now though it seems that only the one guide exists so you might be out of luck there. If you want to take your discussion to the spoiler thread linked above to get an idea of how people here may like the guide, please do so.

I'll be closing this puppy down now.