Got Downpour? Want to share impressions? Post them here!

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

Silent Fantasy
Historical Society Historian

Re: Got Downpour? Want to share impressions? Post them here!

Post by Silent Fantasy »

I didn't mind his design. He had the power to back it up and made it obvious he was a threat. That's all that should be needed to invoke an emotion. I never thought about why he was designed that way though. It does make sense.
WARNING: Some Parts of Reality May Seem Violent or Cruel.
Rev
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Rev »

For as much gaff as the Downpour monsters get, I can pretty much justify why they all look the way they do. Murphy is the one protagonist who's been to prison. For him, he's already seen the worst in humanity, being surrounded by murderers and rapists and then some. It makes sense why his monsters would take on a more humanoid form, because to him, people are monsters.

Although I do have to admit, I do like some of the original Bogeyman concept designs than the one that they went with... again, I can understand why they went that route. At the end of the day, I'm just glad that they didn't make another faux-Pyramid Head design and created their own original monsters, rather than just borrowing more SH2 creature features.

(Although I do feel the need to add that I went to Halloween Horror Night last month, and personally found that the Bogeymen were infinitely more creepy and exciting to encounter than the Pyramid Heads that were stalking the street. Somehow, the Bogeymen actors seemed to be more into their roles and were legit terrorizing people. Say what you want about how the Bogeyman doesn't look that scary in the game, but man. Imagine having a ten-foot tall giant running at you with a massive hammer for real. It's kind of a frightening experience.)
Silent Fantasy

Post by Silent Fantasy »

I'm not sure if Pyramid Head (or someone in a suite obviously) could scare a person who can't help but get a fangasm seeing him. :lol:
Rev
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Rev »

Eh, I was indifferent to our old triangle head friend. Probably because a.) I never saw him as being that scary in the first place, and b.) I was expecting him to show up, anyway. Bogeyman? Not so much. So he was more of a pleasant surprise to me.

And also, again. Bogey was the only one that I saw actively going after people and getting into the role. The other guys just kind of strolled by like it was just another day in the park.

So yeah, go Bogey.
Silent Fantasy

Post by Silent Fantasy »

Yeah, I wasn't being serious. But, like you said. He'd be expected to show. He's the basically the mascot of the series at this point and is more of a cool site than anything, knowing he's nothing but a guy dressed up.
The Bogeyman would be a surprise though, and I was actually glad to hear that he was implemented. I just wish I had the means to go myself. :/
Rev
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Rev »

Haha, I figured you weren't, but yeah. Pyramid Head and the SH2 sexy nurses are pretty much a staple at this point, so I was kind of "meh".

Although I also just remembered that there were the Dolls in the maze itself as well, which was another unexpected surprise. Those were my favorite enemies in Downpour, so I was actually really pleased to see them. They even did the same movements and laugh, which still freaked me out even when I was going by and was keeping my eye on them, expecting them to move.

So despite what people said about it (and to hell with TwinPerfect's review on HHN), I actually enjoyed it myself. The Silent Hill parts were very well put together and genuinely creepy. The whole trip hurt my bank account some, but I don't regret it. I'll just be living off of cheap pasta for awhile, haha.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

I like that the monsters were completely relevant to the character, rather than just BLEUUGHHHHH THATS REALLY WEIIIIRRRDDDDD AND OBSCUREEE for the sake of it.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
Droo

Post by Droo »

Replaying this game for the first time since my original playthrough now that the patch is out. The framerate is improved so I'm less frustrated by it this time around than I was the first time. However, I'm still occasionally getting the "timid monster" glitch and still find the gameplay pretty dull. But I am appreciating the story far more this time around without the distraction of the glitching graphics.

My seething hatred for this game has been upgraded to liking it, albeit not as much as other games in the series. So yay for the patch!
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
wonder's boy
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by wonder's boy »

Haven't played the game again since the patch came out. Now that I think of it, the game wasn't really that buggy for me the first time. Was thinking of replaying, though, because I missed two or three quests/secrets/easter eggs/etc., but I'm not sure if they're worth replaying the whole game for.
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
Brispir
Just Passing Through

Post by Brispir »

Just now got hold of Downpour and just got past the part where I'm at the police station trying to stop the patrol cars (dont think that's a spoiler of any sort). My best friend told me this game sucks (though he's more of a Resident Evil fan) but so far it seems to be pretty good... though in the Devil's Pit, I found myself fighting undead with melee weapons in a mine.... For a minute it felt more like Skyrim. After that though, the train ride reminded me what I was playing. Like it so far... though I wonder what Murphy's crime was that sent him to prison (don't spoil it for me though). I bet it was something really bad that is causing him to go through the hell that is Silent Hill. I'm predicting he's either a mass murderer or a rapist... probably a murderer of some sort and maybe he killed a relative or his wife or something. So far, not much of these "clues" I'm finding are making sense but I'm only 18% through so we'll see.
Silent Fantasy

Post by Silent Fantasy »

You'll find out soon enough. It's not really the big secret of the game.
Brispir
Just Passing Through

Post by Brispir »

Yeah, I just found out what it was. I reckon it's not the big secret after all.
Rev
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Rev »

It's not, since it's revealed part way through the game. Although the reason itself is a little more complicated.

Oh god, I'd have no idea what to think if Murphy turned out to be a rapist, though. I was weirded out as it was when I saw people thinking it would be "interesting" if Alex Shepherd turned out to be a pedophile... ugh. Pass.
Silent Fantasy

Post by Silent Fantasy »

Considering there is no way to excuse that and it ruins any possibility for a sympathetic or atleast relatable protagonist, I doubt any Silent Hill will go those routes. There is no reason for it too either besides a little shock value which would not be worth anything.
Droo

Post by Droo »

I finally finished my second playthrough of Downpour, and I must say I'm rather fond of it now. With most of the technical glitches fixed with the patch I was more able to focus on the story. While I still am meh on several of the characters like Ricks and Sater (whose presense add very little in my opinion), I do find Murphy, Anne, Howard, and Sewell interesting characters.

Still find the monsters uninspired and most of the side quests add very little, and the music is so unremarkable it nearly goes unnoticed.

I'd give it overall a solid B.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
clumsysurgeon
Just Passing Through

Post by clumsysurgeon »

Just finished it. I gotta say Im really impressed with this game, given how hard it is to make a new entry in series.

Overall I like the story and how it is told. I liked the otherworld and how it was implemented. I liked the sidequests, I didnt do all, but it feels good to have some left for the next playthrough. I liked the stealthy attacks from monsters in some moments. I also like that they would follow you when you try to run away. Some settings and puzzles were really great and quite memorale.
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
The movie scenario and the Monastery
were very interesting to me.

Some things botthered me. The screaming during the Starting screen. It took away from the nice theme, and felt somewhat cheap horror.
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
The "Did you enjoy the ride?" comment
felt out of place with the logic presented in the game. Its really small details, and looking at the whole game, it didnt ruin it for me.

The clipping was strange to me. I played it vanilla, and many hours I could play with no problems at all, a few times it would lag a lot. Almost made me think it was when my x-box became heated. I had that with Fallout 3. I couldnt get the patch, so its not important anyway, as most can get it.

Overall really impressed with this, and its a shame if the developers cant make another chapter.
haloofthesun
Just Passing Through

Post by haloofthesun »

I got Downpour right after it came out, the trailer had me pretty excited until I heard Korn. After playing the game I realized that I didn't like it, but I didn't exactly hate it either. I think that they could have done better, Murphy's story really had potential. The combat was sort of wonky to me. I liked how the weapons deteriorated after a bit, it made it more realistic. I wasn't too crazy about the side quests. Over all, I'd give it a 6 out of 10.
Some days I feel like a Kenpachi Ramasama and other days I feel like The Shockmaster.
teosoleil
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by teosoleil »

Anybody else feel that the game just felt too dull and dragging?

IMO, it really had nothing to do with the basic plot itself, but the way it was executed and constructed. Most of my time spent playing, I was wondering "Huh....okay, I only have two more free hours to play today. Wonder what happens next." without much excitement for what was going to happen next.
Brispir
Just Passing Through

Post by Brispir »

The game says I'm 65% of the way through at this moment. And through it all, one thing remains unclear to me: What is Murphy trying to do all this time? It's not there there's any goal of his really, as far as I can tell.

Also, I'm dying to know what this weird portal thing is that's chasing me... And who is this guy in a wheelchair? And what symbolism do water, storms, and birds have? I guess I'll find out sometime soon.

Also, I have noticed the game seems to suggest I should not kill these monsters but instead run from them. I'm betting that they're real people or something. Just a prediction.
Rev
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Rev »

Murphy's goal is pretty obvious from the get-go. Not only is he trying to evade the authorities after the car accident, but he's also trying to escape town. Pretty much all there is to it. Which would be easy except that all the roads and ways out are blocked (and even if he did try to just walk out, I'm sure there will be something that prevents him from doing so. You'll find out why after St. Maria's).

The portal, wheelchair, water and storms are all connected to the story. You'll find out. The birds, though... Eh, I figured the birds tied in with Murphy's symbolism as a prisoner and confinement, because, get it? He's a jailbird?

Yeah.

I'm not sure where you get the game suggesting that you not kill the monsters, though. On my first playthrough I slaughtered the hell out of them.