Got Downpour? Want to share impressions? Post them here!

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

_Drake_
Hope House Careworker

Re: Downpour Review Thread

Post by _Drake_ »

It seems that while downpour is a return to the roots of silent hill, it is plagued by technical issues. Freezing, screen tearing, etc. unless Konnami is willing to patch it, downpour may be killed by these issues. I haven't picked my copy up yet, but when I do, I hope it isn't as bad as people are making I over at gamefaqs (I look over here for humor, makes me laugh to see how petty the average user can be).

Another issue I saw was that voice acting seems to have degraded back to sh 2's level. If there is one thing I loved about climax, was that they always had fantastic voice acting in their silent hills.

"Oh it get's to me alright" - Vincent
My Silent Hill Fanfic, Silent Hill: Spiritual Dissonance
Mr.FLOOT
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Mr.FLOOT »

I've just read the rely on Horror review and I've gotten sooooo excited about this! Shame I have to wait until the 30th to play it :(
Augophthalmoses
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Augophthalmoses »

Falconv1.0 wrote:Really? Son of a bitch, could've swore that was confirmed to be true.
Ah well, either way his VA sounds decent.
It was never confirmed to be true. In fact, I could have sworn Tomm confirmed it wasn't him in some interview.

Can't believe there are people who still thought it was David Hayter.
Falconv1.0
Gravedigger

Post by Falconv1.0 »

Augophthalmoses wrote:
Falconv1.0 wrote:Really? Son of a bitch, could've swore that was confirmed to be true.
Ah well, either way his VA sounds decent.
It was never confirmed to be true. In fact, I could have sworn Tomm confirmed it wasn't him in some interview.

Can't believe there are people who still thought it was David Hayter.
Well I can't really tell who it is since I still haven't seen a name for his VA.

Why is it hard to believe people didn't follow it closely enough to find out Tomm said it's not true. .___.
Your weaboo is showing
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

"voice acting seems to have degraded to sh2's level"

my favorite voice acting of the series :/

Anyway, I think Downpour has a 7.3 average right now at Metacritic, so it seems to be doing better so far than Homecoming at least. May pick it up when it gets cheap. I still have to play through Shattered Memories though! :U
Socially Awkward Penguin is my hero.
branj70
Just Passing Through

Post by branj70 »

I like the game but it's not one of the best. So far I'm 5 hours into it but I feel like I've barely put a dent in it. The story is good, gore factor is decent, psychological mindfuk level is also decent. It's definitely better than Homecoming however not by too much, I'm afraid. I'd like to know what they did when they postponed the release because most of the complaints I've been reading about are still in there to a degree.

Also, sort of a spoiler but in the form of a question:
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
Did they seriously replace the air raid siren with a fucking cop car? or am I missing something? That's hands down my biggest beef with this game, with the wide open environment in this game, the Air Raid siren could have been used nicely. Also, they could have used it as a Tornado warning siren... because of the DOWNPOUR. Just my opinion
and there is some freezing, even just momentarily, but it happens a lot when it autosaves and when opening some doors.
CrypticIdentity wrote:With the rust and all I can't imagine any of the plumbing in either world is great. OF COURSE, THAT'S WHAT VALTIEL'S BEEN TRYING TO DO THIS WHOLE TIME, with all his valve-turning--TURN ON THE SHOWER. He probably smells rank as hell.
Calamity
Historical Society Historian

Post by Calamity »

Hello folks! I know a good portion of our community is getting the game today so please let us know what you think of it! Since the game is still new and as of today's date our PAL friends do not have access to the game, please be sure to mark your spoilers.

Thank you!
bloodydjehuty
Just Passing Through

Post by bloodydjehuty »

so far it's exceeded my expectations, other than my problem with surround sound, and jitteriness when the game loads new areas.
I'd say this is in the top 3 silent hills. the otherworld is not only unique, but it's finally original again (save for the odd wheelchair here and there), not to give too much away but it's not just blood and rust and it has a somewhat escher quality to it.

the game also manages to maintain a foreboding atmosphere.
so to those who have given up on the series, at least rent this one and give it a try, it's pleasantly surprising.
ur-vile
Hope House Careworker

Re: Got Downpour? Want to share impressions? Post them here!

Post by ur-vile »

If this shower tutorial scene is any indication of the quality of Downpour then they really fucking blew it. Then again, SH4 had burping nurses.

I don't want to be the whiny asshole fanboy but you aren't exactly setting the mood so far
ShadowofNyx
Just Passing Through

Post by ShadowofNyx »

So far I'm love it and it's the first game in awhile that have me paranoid and have to take brakes as I am right now. lol

I am happy that the series that has done that to me in the past is doing it again, you know taking a deep breath to work up your nerves

And that is hard for me to feel like that in games,so I am happy to get that feeling again.
"Just because we've similar interests does not guarantee you're going to like me! My foot in your ass is a good example of that. My delusionary hell does not agree with yours!!" -Nny
ur-vile
Hope House Careworker

Post by ur-vile »

Not sure if it deserves its own thread, but I took a video of the part in question
It deserves spoiler tags. Everything does. This is your only warning.
-The Mgmt.
Nillin
Hope House Careworker

Post by Nillin »

ur-vile wrote:If this shower tutorial scene is any indication of the quality of Downpour then they really fucking blew it. Then again, SH4 had burping nurses.

I don't want to be the whiny asshole fanboy but you aren't exactly setting the mood so far
You've got to be joking. That was the best intro of the entire series. It made me feel so uncomfortable I couldn't take it, and it made me ask a lot of questions about Murphy and set up the plot properly. It was way better than someone just wandering into town...
I once was lost, but am now profound.
soam108
Just Passing Through

Post by soam108 »

I dunno, it was sort of an awkward opening/tutorial but yea it was good for getting you into the plot I'd say.

I'm liking more the further I go, the frame rate issues that I was having the first half hour seem to have settled down. The first otherworld (and only one I've seen so far) was sort of cool visually but it didn't scare me or make me uncomfortable.

One notable issue I have is trying to pick up an intended item when there are more than one in the vicinity...like if there's a med pack you want to pick up but it makes you drop your weapon and pick up another weapon.
stitchedlamb
Just Passing Through

Post by stitchedlamb »

I hate when reviews are so conflicting, I'm not really getting a clear picture on this game at all. Can someone who has played confirm if the combat is somehow clunkier than in previous games? The reviews really tore that apart, and that's what has me most concerned.

I'm also super crushed because every single review I've read so far has decried the monster design. The creativity in that regard has been on a steady decline since SH4 (although I was quite fond of some of Origins creatures). I don't know if I can stomach generic monsters in a Silent Hill game. Is the situation as bad as the reviewers are making it out to be?
Kenji

Post by Kenji »

Just picked it up.

I'd just come back from three straight days of driving. I was gonna wait until I'd rebounded, or something. However, since I was already improperly parked, I decided, "Ahhh, fuck it!" and went to my store to pick it up.

I'll wait until nightfall before loading it up. However, one thing that was instantly noticeable is just how reliant this game is on the Silent Hill brand name. The front, of course, just says "Silent Hill: Downpour." The words on the back amount to little more than, "Pfft, whaddaya want? It's Silent Hill! There's rain all up in this bitch, motherfucker!!"

There are a couple of possibilities for what Tomm and the gang had in mind, but this game is basically made for Silent Hill fans, exclusively. I see no way to appeal to some dude/tte off the street unless s/he already has a vague idea of what Silent Hill is.
branj70
Just Passing Through

Post by branj70 »

Personally I think they're pretty good. So far my favorite is the weeping bat, those mother fuckers drop down on your ass so quick and you never expect it! and the screamer (although a complete rip off of the witches in Left 4 Dead) are really vicious and can tear you apart quick.

So far I haven't come across the Juggernaut, spiked minion thing, doll, or the bogeyman but I'm sure they are going to be fine. My only complaint with the monsters/demons is that they are really a pain in the ass to fight. I have combat set on normal and it's still crazy sometimes because of how vicious they are when they attack and how few health packs there are
Last edited by branj70 on 14 Mar 2012, edited 1 time in total.
CrypticIdentity wrote:With the rust and all I can't imagine any of the plumbing in either world is great. OF COURSE, THAT'S WHAT VALTIEL'S BEEN TRYING TO DO THIS WHOLE TIME, with all his valve-turning--TURN ON THE SHOWER. He probably smells rank as hell.
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

I liked the screamers and the weeping bats, but the prisoners don't do much fo me. The sound they make when struck is kinda lame.
branj70
Just Passing Through

Post by branj70 »

^ Thats what I thought too! lol. I like the idea of them but the voices are cheesy
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

I'm enjoying the game so far. The environments are freaking beautiful, and the music is pretty good. The brief instances of licensed music are pretty kick ass, too. The enemies are decent, but don't hold a candle to the SH standard. They're not bad, just adequate.
I've just entered the Centennial Building, where the radio station is. Turns out, Murph was imprisoned for stealing a cop car and resisting arrest, and even had parole approved. Something happened with this Sewell character, something to do with that tutorial, no doubt.

Oh, and one badass easter egg: one of the songs on the radio was featured in the original Wicker Man. Thumbs up, Vatra.
soam108
Just Passing Through

Post by soam108 »

Just experienced my first holy shit moment...
just after you drop in the elevator in the mine