Scariest Moment of the Game

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

Soulless-Shadow
Subway Guard

Re: Scariest Moment of the Game

Post by Soulless-Shadow »

blank fairy wrote: That is also one of the parts really, really made me stress.
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
It really creeped me out when I heard first DJ Ricks on the radio with the voice all distorted after we had been attacked by the screamers. I wasn't expecting it.
I loved that bit. It was more a WTF moment than creepy, but then I gave some thought into what it might mean...

Anyway, one of the creepiest moments for me would have to be;
At the Devil's Pit Vista, or whatever it's called. Just after talking to JP the player can get Murphy to look through the...I forget what they're called. The view thingies. The second one freaked me out because even though there were no more monsters around the radio started and then the screen started doing weird stuff. It took me a second playthrough and a visit to YouTube to see the wheelchair guy because I quickly got ready to face another monster. Creepiest part though, is that there's a prisoner hanging from below the area the wheelchair guy is rolling towards... Incidentally, it also appears to be the exact spot where JP jumps...
Trollossus
Just Passing Through

Post by Trollossus »

There were many creepy moments but the only time I literally jumped out of my chair was :
When the ghost attacks you in the Turn Back Time sidequest. He reminded me of Christian Bale in American Psycho, so I just screamed burn Patrick Bateman! when I got my revenge.
DMChristensen
Just Passing Through

Post by DMChristensen »

blank fairy wrote: That is also one of the parts really, really made me stress.
It really creeped me out when I heard first DJ Ricks on the radio with the voice all distorted after we had been attacked by the screamers. I wasn't expecting it.
This creeped me out, too. I don't know about anyone else, but I swear I understood a lot of what DJ Ricks said the first time I heard him over the radio after the radio station. I distinctly heard him say:
"Murphy", "Help me", "So I'm stuck here", and at the end "So I play...and play...and play..."
I understood more, I know. But I can't remember the whole thing.
atomheart
Just Passing Through

Post by atomheart »

Quite a few, but one that really put me on edge.
In the orphange, where the little girl is sitting on a chair and she runs off. Just down that corridor there's the bedroom, and when you enter it it just goes pitch black, even with the light on (and not to mention the dolls that are lurking in there. That freaked me right out!
Also the gramophone sidequest and the hansel and gretal scene.

The chases were nerve racking to say the least.
blank fairy
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by blank fairy »

DMChristensen wrote: This creeped me out, too. I don't know about anyone else, but I swear I understood a lot of what DJ Ricks said the first time I heard him over the radio after the radio station. I distinctly heard him say:
"Murphy", "Help me", "So I'm stuck here", and at the end "So I play...and play...and play..."
Yes and I believe he also says something like "this is Dj Ricks...a lost soul" :O
DMChristensen
Just Passing Through

Post by DMChristensen »

blank fairy wrote:
DMChristensen wrote: This creeped me out, too. I don't know about anyone else, but I swear I understood a lot of what DJ Ricks said the first time I heard him over the radio after the radio station. I distinctly heard him say:
Yes and I believe he also says something like "this is Dj Ricks...a lost soul" :O
Poor DJ Ricks. :<
EDIT: Another creepy moment in the game is when:
In the Centennial Building, after climbing through the ceiling to the 3rd floor, when you are crossing the beams and you see what looks like a Doll move quickly below you. Actually...all of the fast-moving Dolls in the Centennial Building are creepy.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

The dolls are fantastic. They're very intimidating, their method of attack is clever and causes a great deal of worry every time one is near, and I like their final design way more than any of the concept art. For me, the dolls are the 'awww shit it's one of THEM!' enemy for Downpour.
The dog in the police car
kind of jumped me a bit. A cheap scare I suppose (sort of like the cat moment from Alien in SH1) but effective nonetheless.

The music in the town really put me on edge too, not so much the dulcimer parts but the woodwinds, especially the deepened woodwind sounds, like something David Lynch would compose for Rabbits/Inland Empire. I also loved how that music had extra layers that would come in while fighting monsters - drums, bass etc. all added in when fighting. It's been a while since I've heard proper interactive music like that in a game, I remember it was common in the N64 days with the MIDI music.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
Soulless-Shadow
Subway Guard

Post by Soulless-Shadow »

blank fairy wrote:
I recall hearing...
"DJ Ricks" over the radio in the prison, but...
That was about it. I need to have another listen.
Glenn
Gravedigger

Post by Glenn »

The time you have to pump water out of the garage in the Centennial Building to get the ID Card. After you take it, the water starts to rise and I thought I was about to drown. I barely got up the stairs. I'm on my second playthrough now, and apparently you can't drown but it was fun and unnerving.
evolness
Just Passing Through

Post by evolness »

There are so many but the most scariest I've recently come across is the "Missing Heart" side quest.
Once I found the heart there were these horrible loud creature noises and screamers chasing me while I found my way out of that maze of a basement, the atmosphere had me in a panic!
taketheworlddown
Just Passing Through

Post by taketheworlddown »

I agree with one of the scenes atomheart mentioned.

Hansel and Gretel.

There was something about that scene that really made me feel that deep fear of something you used to be scared of as a kid. My Dad used to have a "miner man" ornament when I was little, and there was just something that terrified me about it. It was only a Welsh miner man, but I hated him! I used to dream about him coming alive at night and floating towards my bed, ready to get me with his spade.

That was the sort of simple fear the Hansel and Gretel scene gave me. I suppose stage performances have this certain drama about them that an onscreen film can't portray. Kind of like, what if the actors get so into character that they go insane and kill the audience? Having something fictional such as Hansel and Gretel some to life was freaky as hell. I didn't know what was coming when I started off the play. I wasn't expecting the whole scene to come to life.

But yeah, freaky! The Gallespie mines were freaky as hell too, so claustrophobic!

TTWD
Lahkesis
Just Passing Through

Post by Lahkesis »

The one thing that actually made me jump was
the Artistocrat/Monocle Man. NO, I DID NOT ENJOY THE RIDE, YOU CREEPY BASTARD.