Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

JehanSunderland
Just Passing Through

Re: Scariest Moment of the Game

Post by JehanSunderland »

For me, the scariest moments were
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
the forest during the Hansel and Gretel sequence. I wasn't at all expecting the Screamers to show up, and then there were so many of them and they scared the hell out of me.
Also, a totally unsettling, very very Silent Hill moment for me was the beginning of the prison level. When I first went in there, I didn't realize it was actually a major area in the game, and I just thought that it was another flashback sequence, where we were going to see what happened when Murphy attacked Frank. Then we have the moment where Wheel Man rolls past Murphy's cell and we have that awful moment of "HOLY FUCK WHAT IS THAT THING?!", then leading into several other scares and the realization that the scene is more than a playable cutscene. Overall, the entire Overlook Penitentiary area is pretty tense and often terrifying.
York
Just Passing Through

Post by York »

Favorite subtle scare-
The "Can't keep my head above water" message in the basement where you have to use a hose to pump water out of. It'd probably be easy to miss, but my panicked reaction to it was perfect when I realized what it was implying.
Favorite atmospheric fearful moment-
The Hansel and Gretel set coming to life, with that ominous record echoing in the background.
Most genuinely scared moments-
Probably when you hear the woman crying in the dark basement, and the way it stops when the door opens.

The bit where the doll first jumps around the library might be another one.
phantomess
Moderator & Cult Member
Moderator & Cult Member

Post by phantomess »

Avianna wrote:- The Side Quest for the "Tall Tale Heart" achievement.
Tell Tale*
Oh yeah- I think that was my scariest moment. Sidequest spoiler-
After you get the heart, your ears are assaulted with all kinds of monster noises. It sounded like hell was on my heels as I quickly made my way out of the tunnels. I half suspected it was just noise, and not an actual horde after me, but I didn't stick around to find out.
I rather liked that sidequest, though. :mrgreen:
therednurse
Just Passing Through

Post by therednurse »

I don't think this will get me a third time (...it might), but I just finished my second playthrough and:
In the prison you have to open a door by pressing a button on a control panel, and when you turn around to leave you get a flash for a few seconds of a mob of prisoners running at you and yelling.
My immediate reaction was jump/gasp/jaw on floor/hand over mouth, hahaha. They got me!
gothsquatch
Just Passing Through

Post by gothsquatch »

On my first playthrough, I got through the part in the Orphanage hospice where you put the Screamers in the MRI without incident. On my second playthrough, I accidentally "searched" the wrong Screamer. When you do that it triggers an Otherworld incident! It's short and you are transported back once you beat the Screamer, but my stomach dropped like a brick when it happened because I didn't expect it at all. Gahhh.
Kawwah85
Just Passing Through

Post by Kawwah85 »

The mines on my first playthrough. God, that place was scary as hell. And the police cars in Silent Hill really freaked me out as well.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

Warpath wrote:I literally shit myself :D
Messy...

The screamer-searching in the Orphanage, yup, got me!
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
ashatteredmemory
Gravedigger

Post by ashatteredmemory »

Scariest moment for me was in a shack inside the devil's pit caverns, especially when I checked some of those creepy miner dolls behind a fence.
Other scary moments were mostly with the dolls. The mirror sidequest is cool too
"Grown-ups tell kids there's no such thing as monsters, that the Bogeyman is just make-believe, and there's nothing hiding under their beds, but that's a lie. Because I've seen 'em." - Murphy Pendleton
Aerith Gainsborough
Historical Society Historian

Post by Aerith Gainsborough »

Oh guys! I found another really freaky part for me, and it's very early in the game. It's when...
You're about to go through the gate to turn on the generator. Before you make it even to the gate, you'll hear something moving behind the building. If you look, you see a dark figure move really quickly behind it. I had never seen that before. I seriously almost pissed my pants at that moment!
I'm rarely on the forums anymore. Click here for ways to reach me.
Silent Fantasy

Post by Silent Fantasy »

^ I need to see that. Sounds like it would be freaky as hell. lol
WARNING: Some Parts of Reality May Seem Violent or Cruel.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

Aerith Gainsborough wrote:Oh guys! I found another really freaky part for me, and it's very early in the game. It's when...
You're about to go through the gate to turn on the generator. Before you make it even to the gate, you'll hear something moving behind the building. If you look, you see a dark figure move really quickly behind it. I had never seen that before. I seriously almost pissed my pants at that moment!
Yeah I noticed that. Was awesome.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

Using those viewfinder thingies at the Devil's Pit makes for some creepy moments.
From you can see a bloody hand smack the window in the tram, another allows you to see a body hanging from the deck where JP, and the last one gives you a quick glimpse of Wheelman.
Bogeyman
Just Passing Through

Post by Bogeyman »

Aerith Gainsborough wrote:Oh guys! I found another really freaky part for me, and it's very early in the game. It's when...
Oh man!How could i forget that?I came across that particular part on my third playthrough a few days ago and i was scared shitless.I totally froze where i was standing.I couldn't move a muscle.I really like those creepy moments that can give you a good scare.
Pleasant Sinner
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Pleasant Sinner »

After reading this I had to look for it. When I was actually near the gate I turned to look and...well yeah. Freaking awesome.

I'm loving these little spooks Vatra has thrown in Downpour. Definitely makes for multiple interesting playthroughs.
Eraserhead
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Eraserhead »

phantomess wrote:
Avianna wrote:- The Side Quest for the "Tall Tale Heart" achievement.
Tell Tale*
Oh yeah- I think that was my scariest moment. Sidequest spoiler-
After you get the heart, your ears are assaulted with all kinds of monster noises. It sounded like hell was on my heels as I quickly made my way out of the tunnels. I half suspected it was just noise, and not an actual horde after me, but I didn't stick around to find out.
^
This!
I couldn't remember the way back and kept going in circles cuz I have no sense of direction which is why I hate the void pursuits!
"Home is in your head"
Kawwah85
Just Passing Through

Post by Kawwah85 »

Im gonna take back what i said about the Mines, and give my vote as the scariest part of the game to
the Prison chase sequence. The one that starts after Murphey collected the 3 evidences from the bathroom. On hardmode this is a nightmare. I took a wrong turn so many times, and ended up replaying the chase 4 or 5 times. lol
Overlooked Motel
Just Passing Through

Post by Overlooked Motel »

I know jump scares are often described as cheap and unbefitting of Silent Hill (even though they've been around since the first game...), but I thought a few of the ones in Downpour were really effective.

Other moments:
]-Trying to balance on the beam in Overlook while a re-enactment of the Ryall State riot goes on below.

-Seeing Wheelman through the viewfinder on the Devil's Pit lookover.

-When the Devil's Pit train ride begins its Otherworld transition and the miner mannequins start moving closer...closer...

-The bathroom in the movie theatre. The one with the malfunctioning gum machine. I have no idea why, but inching the door open and peeking into this dark room with the only light coming from the sparking machine just terrified me.

-The Gramophone sidequest.

-Anytime it started to rain heavily and there were no accessible buildings nearby.

-The Void. Yeah, it scared me, I admit it.
Revenge is a long, treacherous road, isn't it Mr Pendleton? Where do you suppose it ends?
therednurse
Just Passing Through

Post by therednurse »

^The Gramophone sidequest haunts me. I once climbed into that apartment to escape from the rain thinking it was The Room homage, and when I realized it was where I had done that sidequest I thought "...I'd rather be outside and take my chances with the monsters." ;)

Also, this isn't so much "scary" as "unsettling" but I didn't really take a close look at it until my fourth playthrough...
In St. Maria's you walk into a room where a child is saying something like "Daddy! Daddy! Help me! They're hurting me!" and you see a ball kicked out from behind a pillar. If you walk around the pillar there's a blood stain on it and the floor with a light overhead. The worst part is there are a bunch of school desks forming a semi-circle in front of the pillar, facing it. Like they were made to watch whatever happened to that child there. O_O Really creepy.
Mr.FLOOT
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Mr.FLOOT »

I think the scariest part for me was
In the apartment where the stolen goods quest is, I was walking from the kitchen into the living room in one of the apartments, and a screamer just walked around the corner the same time I did. I absolutely shat myself!
blank fairy
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by blank fairy »

phantomess wrote:
That is also one of the parts really, really made me stress.
It really creeped me out when I heard first DJ Ricks on the radio with the voice all distorted after we had been attacked by the screamers. I wasn't expecting it.