Monster / Character / Location Symbolism

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

Vixx
Founder & Administrator
Founder & Administrator

Re: Monster / Character / Location Symbolism

Post by Vixx »

The concept art looks x100 better than what we saw in the game. To be honest, I share many of your disppointments. Given the Rawshocks of SHSM and the detailed symbolism in previous games (yes, even the US ones), this is by far the most disappointing for adversaries.

As for the rest? I'm still mulling it over. Many aspects of this plot need serious contemplation! ;)
V xx

© 2003-2024 Vixx. The contents of this post may only be used within the boundaries of silenthillforum.com. Any usage outside of the aforementioned forum is strictly prohibited. No, I can't believe this place is still up and running, either.
silenthillking
Just Passing Through

Post by silenthillking »

Symbolism

There all crap come on fans there like somthing from another game
screamer = like the girl from the ring
inmates = hellraiser anyone
doll = odd but origins did a better job
weeping bat = a hours work to design maybe less
wall thing = the room any one
teosoleil
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by teosoleil »

^ How can you just bluntly state the designs as crap and rip-offs of other games? IMO, all the creatures in Downpour instead of the Prisoners and Weeping Bats scream of originality. That's a little...blunt, to be honest (I do respect your opinion though, no harm meant).
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

screamer = like the girl from the ring
I didn't bother to read any further because it seems you've never actually watched The Ring.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Martee
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Martee »

After seeing the concept art for the screamer I instantly assumed they were meant to represent the carers from the orphanage, the woman in the concept art is wearing a crucifix around her neck and looks quite understated and 'properly' dressed.
I would have rather had the wall monsters act as screamers though so they would scream at you as you walked past and that would have filled up space for another monster.
My supply fell through...
phantomess
Moderator & Cult Member
Moderator & Cult Member

Post by phantomess »

Dark Shadow wrote:For the Weeping Bats I remember the developers saying they symbolized solitude and confinement.
Makes sense. Those were actually my favorite enemies, and I think they're a pretty clever way to show solitude and confinement.

The only other enemies I particularly liked were the wall monsters.
All the rest, upon encountering, either made me go: "Eh," "Seriously?" or "Damn, you're annoying!"
Aerith Gainsborough

Post by Aerith Gainsborough »

^Agreed about annoying. The Screamers, Dolls, Minions, and Juggernauts really were annoying. I really couldn't stand the Dolls and Juggernauts, though. The invisibility ordeal just doesn't rub well with me, and the Juggernauts just got in the way and it was about impossible to melee them without having to rely on using a few first aid kits.
I'm rarely on the forums anymore. Click here for ways to reach me.
Luotka Snih
Just Passing Through

Post by Luotka Snih »

Screamers can't be symbolism to Carol, Murphy is not the only one that encounters this monster. In fact, it's the only monster (for the exception of bogeyman) that interacts with several characters, those being Murphy, the hispanic convict, Anne, and Ricks. Also, Murphy's wife is mentioned very few times withing the story, tho she can still be somewhat represented in a creature, I wouldn't go for a whole monster just for her.
Martee wrote:After seeing the concept art for the screamer I instantly assumed they were meant to represent the carers from the orphanage, the woman in the concept art is wearing a crucifix around her neck and looks quite understated and 'properly' dressed.
The crucifix also makes me wonder quite a bit

Screamers could be more a monster of the town, not asosiated to a particular character.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Screamers can't be symbolism to Carol, Murphy is not the only one that encounters this monster.
So? Maybe the monster means different things to different people, like the Abstract Daddy meant different things for James and Angela.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
KingCrimson
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by KingCrimson »

AuraTwilight wrote:
Screamers can't be symbolism to Carol, Murphy is not the only one that encounters this monster.
So? Maybe the monster means different things to different people, like the Abstract Daddy meant different things for James and Angela.
Not to mention the "proximity" effect, where other people can see the monsters manifested from someone's psyche when in the same area (Eddie, for example). So the screamers might have come from Murphy's unconscious mind and other people nearby had to deal with them as well.

Let's also not forget that the entire game is a blend of two characters' influence on the town, Murphy and Anne. Makes the symbolism situation a lot less cut and dry.
Luotka Snih
Just Passing Through

Post by Luotka Snih »

^touche

Probably it's just Ricks the one affected to that. The Hispanic convict even says "You don't understand" once Murphy joins in and Anne reacts as if she had seen the screamers before in the radio station. But, then again, what does screamers represent to this other characters?
teosoleil
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by teosoleil »

Luotka Snih wrote: Screamers could be more a monster of the town, not asosiated to a particular character.
Yeah, could be true. Reminds me of an older theory The Adversary had before Downpour was released.
NanayaShiki
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator

Post by NanayaShiki »

Luotka Snih wrote:Screamers can't be symbolism to Carol, Murphy is not the only one that encounters this monster. In fact, it's the only monster (for the exception of bogeyman) that interacts with several characters, those being Murphy, the hispanic convict, Anne, and Ricks.
As other people have mentioned, the monster could mean different things to different people. Or perhaps different people even see it as a completely different creature. The other convict clearly thought the monster was something related to him.
Also, Murphy's wife is mentioned very few times withing the story, tho she can still be somewhat represented in a creature, I wouldn't go for a whole monster just for her.
Since when did all monsters need to be something prominent in the story? Again, I didn't realize Alessa's fear of bugs was vital to the story of SH1. And I still don't really understand what like 1/3rd of the monsters in SH3 represent. It was really only SH2 that took the monster symbolism to such direct and important levels. I do think all the monsters should be symbolic, but they don't need to be about something vitally important to the main plot, they could just be something relevant to the character or situation.
Vixx
Founder & Administrator
Founder & Administrator

Post by Vixx »

NanayaShiki wrote: Since when did all monsters need to be something prominent in the story? Again, I didn't realize Alessa's fear of bugs was vital to the story of SH1. And I still don't really understand what like 1/3rd of the monsters in SH3 represent. It was really only SH2 that took the monster symbolism to such direct and important levels.
I'm not sure I agree. Monster symbolisation has always been a huge part of the SH mythos. While I'll admit that SH3 were weird-ass and hard to interpret(!), 1, 2, 4, Origins AND Homecoming all offered enemies reminiscent of the themes of the game.

Don't get me wrong; I love that we sometimes have to work it out 'cos the themes are buried creative concept artwork. But with Downpour, I thought we were spoon-fed the links rather than painstakingly reached them ourselves, you know?
V xx

© 2003-2024 Vixx. The contents of this post may only be used within the boundaries of silenthillforum.com. Any usage outside of the aforementioned forum is strictly prohibited. No, I can't believe this place is still up and running, either.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

I still maintain the Screamers are the silenced spirits, as I postulated last year.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

I like the theory for the Screamers; I just want an alternate interpretation to atleast explain their appearance.

I like the idea that they represent Carol to some extent.
Luotka Snih
Just Passing Through

Post by Luotka Snih »

AuraTwilight wrote:I like the theory for the Screamers; I just want an alternate interpretation to atleast explain their appearance.

I like the idea that they represent Carol to some extent.
I actually thought about that as well. Like screamers have a relation to both characters and the city.

Meh, I'm just throwing ideas with no great arguments, gotta get a deeper look at screamers
NanayaShiki

Post by NanayaShiki »

Vixx wrote:I'm not sure I agree. Monster symbolisation has always been a huge part of the SH mythos. While I'll admit that SH3 were weird-ass and hard to interpret(!), 1, 2, 4, Origins AND Homecoming all offered enemies reminiscent of the themes of the game.
Oh, no. I didn't mean that I think the monsters shouldn't resemble or represent anything. I just mean that it doesn't always have to be something related directly the plot of the game or what the main character's "main issue" is. I keep using the "fear of bugs" thing as an example, but almost any monster from the first game can work as a perfect example of what I am talking about. Air Screamer, for example. I'm pretty sure Alessa's favorite book isn't relevant to the main plot of SH1, ya know? As long as it's relevant to the character or the world, I think it's fine. So, just because Murphy's wife is only mentioned a small handful of times, doesn't mean there can't be a monster related to her, as she was still important to Murphy. After all, small number of times is STILL being mentioned more that what Alessa's favorite book was. :D
thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by thy_butcher »

WEEPING BATS -
The Weeping Bats are, to me, representative of solitary confinement.
1. They are emaciated. It shows malnourishment. Thin limbs with their ribs being prominently visible.
2. They have very pale skin which infers a lack of sunlight. As a prisoner in solitary confinement, you don't get to see the sun very often. You're in a dark, lonely cave.
3. I distinctly remember Tomm Hulett providing insight on their posture & movements while they are on the ceiling. Tomm pointed out how cramped-up they are, as if in an overly-tight space.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

According to developer comments, you're pretty close. They represent solitude AND confinement, but to prison as a whole, not just solitary confinement.