A Backstory Puzzle *MASSIVE SPOILERS*

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

LastScion
Just Passing Through

A Backstory Puzzle *MASSIVE SPOILERS*

Post by LastScion »

Before I finish up my in-depth analysis/review/etc, I've been going through the memos and making sure I have the whole story straight --- and now something's starting to bother me.

MAIN FOCUS: What is Murphy's connection to Silent Hill?
PERIPHERAL FOCUS: Where is Murphy even from?

What got me searching was that all SH's protagonists have a connection to the town. Harry vacationed there, James and Mary regarded it as their special place, Heather was Alessa reincarnate, Henry lived nearby and liked to photograph the area, Travis isn't canon ... jk jk... Travis lived there as a child with his resident parents, and Alex was deeply involved in a genealogy that came from Silent Hill and built their town on worship of the power there.

What's up with Murph? It doesn't even seem like he's ever even BEEN there. (MORE ON THIS LATER, BECAUSE I CAN BUILD A CASE FOR IT.)

Here's the trouble I'm having: I've gone through all the memos, and I can't even figure out this guy's residence issues. Here's all the evidence.

Murphy's from Boston - His area code is 617, he saw a psychiatrist in 617, his son's hotline was in 617, Boston PD filed his police report.

Napier was Murphy's Neighbor. He flat out says so.

Charlie went to Robbins Elementary which we can assume is also in Boston, his flier has a 617 area code.

Now here's where it gets odd for me.

Charlies disappearance was handled in Brahms (???) A Brahms newspaper talked about "LOCAL BOY" disappearance from Robbins Elementary (isn't that in a 617 area code, presumably MILES away from it.) the case was being handled by a Brahms police officer named Elliot Benson (lol) who said authorities were canvasing the area around the school and looking for information. Why would Brahms have anything to do with a child from Boston who disappeared in Boston?

SIMPLIFIED CONFLICT: Charlie's fliers and Murphy's residence are in Boston, Charlie disappeared from Robbins Elementary schools, Brahms calls this school "local."

Napier was caught, arrested, and tried in Brahms. He kidnapped a child "in January of year" from Brahms, tried in Brahms, and sentenced to Ryall.

Ryall is in Maine: Jumpsuits say MNDOC (which, as far as I can tell, is supposed to say MEDOC but they accidentally used MINNESOTA's abbreviation. One officer's badge clearly says Maine.

What's going on here?

Let's look at the timeline.

All of the calendars in the game are August, with the 1st of the month on a Tuesday -- Also, a psych eval lists a patient born in 1976 as 20 years old. 2006 fits both of these requirements. An envelope found on the streets of Silent Hill also lists deliver as the "X5th" of AUG. Therefore, it's safe to assume the game takes place in August of 2006.

Murphy was scheduled for release on July 26th, but never was released. The date of the prison riot was Tuesday the 20th -- and the day of the riot, Sewell said Murphy was "leaving soon." July 20th, 2006 was a Tuesday. Because Murphy backed out of the assassination of Colridge, Sewell pinned the death on Murphy and cancelled his parole release - prompting Anne Cunningham to enact an elaborate plan to get him transferred to Wayside Max (her facility) instead (to get revenge on Murphy for killing her father, Colridge)

Napier was killed in November of an unspecified year after serving an unknown amount of time alongside Murphy, who's been in for an unknown period of time. One year before capture, Napier killed 8 Year Old Daniel Stephens in January and at some point 6 year old Charlie at an unknown time.

A memo hoping for assistance in tracking down a child killer was sent on August 17th by the Brahms PD Is this a different August?

What's going on here?

Also of note: The non-August calendars in the game feature a month that has 31 days and starts on Saturday, the 10th of the month is highlighted. July 2006 fits these requirements and may be the time at which Silent Hill hit by "freak storms," a headline seen on newspapers that litter the town's floor.

TO RECAP: Where was Napier from? Where was Charlie killed? Where is Robbins Elementary?

About that theory I mentioned....
When Murphy hears that Napier has been arrested in Brahms, he steals a police cruiser in Boston and leads them on a chase to Ashfield, ME where he is captured by local authorities. It seems to me that this was part of his plan, that the local authorities sent him to Ryall in ME alongside Napier. Cunningham says "This town KNOWS ME ... and ... it won't let us go until we finish what we started, what YOU started." Seeing as she's having him transferred from Ryall's ME facility to Wayside ME's facility - perhaps the town of Silent Hill picked up his rage and negativity as he sped through it on his way from Boston -- and called him back during the prison transfer?

Help me out!

EDIT: It's always possible that Murphy was from Silent Hill as a child - there are some clues that the child in the orphanage was Murphy. At the time, I thought it referred to Napier (the child had pica, which is a symptom of trauma / sexual abuse -- and a good chunk of molesters were molested so I just kinda put 2 and 2 together.) but perhaps it better fits Murphy. I'll have to dig through the files closer.
Axel_98
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Re: A Backstory Puzzle *MASSIVE SPOILERS*

Post by Axel_98 »

From my understanding - Napier has done this before. I think there were a couple times in the sidequests that you read about children going missing. Even the first house u go into, through the basement window has the milk carton with the child missing. So this being the case local boy doesn't have to mean Charlie. I'm trying to remember other times where I saw this, i think there was also a flyer about a girl going missing around the devils pit but I can't remember where.
~The Bird of Hermes is My Name; Eating My Wings to Make Me Tame~
LastScion
Just Passing Through

Post by LastScion »

That was my first impression, too, and I've been trying like hell to make it work, but there's just one thing keeping it from sticking:

Charlie's "Missing Child" flier says he disappeared from Robbins Elementary, which is the same school listed as "local" in the Brahms article. I have no doubt that Napier swiped kids from all over the place, but unless we're to believe that both areas have Robbins Elementary schools, and Napier snagged a different kid from each -- we're missing something.

I've given up trying to piece this together for now - no more Napier lived here, then moved here, lived here for a bit, took a kid and ran here, then lived there - for now. I'm gonna let my subconscious work on it for a bit--- unless someone can figure out where I've gone horribly wrong in my analysis lol
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>The non-August calendars in the game feature a month that has 31 days and starts on Saturday, the 10th of the month is highlighted.<
The other calendars are October 2011, which is undoubtedly when the game is actually set. The highlighted day, the 10th, indicates a national holiday. October 10th is Columbus Day. July 10th is not a national holiday.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Harlequin
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Harlequin »

"All of the calendars in the game are August, with the 1st of the month on a Tuesday -- Also, a psych eval lists a patient born in 1976 as 20 years old. 2006 fits both of these requirements. An envelope found on the streets of Silent Hill also lists deliver as the "X5th" of AUG. Therefore, it's safe to assume the game takes place in August of 2006."

I think you made a typo in there, or you were mistaken. If someone was born in 1976 and is listed as being 20 years old, then it would be 1996, not 2006. They'd have to be 30 for that to work.
LastScion
Just Passing Through

Post by LastScion »

Both of you are right - typo and different calendar. I forgot to update this one - I guess that means that figuring out a few of these dates is going to be a lot harder than originally thought.
Biccard
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Biccard »

Konami and Vatra officially stated Murphy has no connection to Silent Hill, it's kind of a coincidence that his bus crashes and he ends up there.
Aerith Gainsborough
Historical Society Historian

Post by Aerith Gainsborough »

^Could you show me the source. Not that I don't believe you, I just wanna read it. Either way, I'm glad to hear that. Now that clears up the 'Murphy being from St.Maria's' ordeal.
I'm rarely on the forums anymore. Click here for ways to reach me.
Biccard
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Biccard »

Aerith Gainsborough wrote:^Could you show me the source. Not that I don't believe you, I just wanna read it.
I'm sorry, I can't seem to find it right now. But I believe Tomm Hulett said it, in one of those clips where he's talking about Downpour, with it's menu screen in the background.
Aerith Gainsborough wrote:I'm glad to hear that. Now that clears up the 'Murphy being from St.Maria's' ordeal.
You mean, that he is actually not affiliated with the monastery in any way?
Harlequin
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Harlequin »

Aerith means that there's another thread on here debating the theory that Murphy was an orphan at St. Maria's, more specifically the one mentioned in the notes you pick up while you're there (which isn't possible, but I digress).
KiramidHead
Historical Society Historian

Post by KiramidHead »

I think the biggest hiccup with backstory pointed out here has to do with the elementary school. Both Charlie and Daniel went to a Robbins Elemntary, but they lived in diffewrent towns. It's not unusual for schools in different towns to have the same name. Also, the name Robbins could be fetish of Napier's or something.