Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 09 Dec 2019

Just Passing Through
 Post subject: A satisfying conclu- hey, wait a minute

Missing since: 12 Aug 2010
Notes left: 38
I'm sure you can see all the little pet-projects I've got going on while Downpour Mania sweeps the SH Community - but for those of you who've finished the game, I just realized something.

I thought that the story wrapped itself up very nicely... but in reformatting my review I realized...

What the hell happened to DJ Ricks?
He begs for our help, dedicates us songs... HE. GIVES. US. A. BOAT. and directly leads to our escaping Silent Hill. The last we see of him, he's getting kidnapped along with Cunningham. She escaped - did he not? Did they not work together? Did they work together to escape and he died, telling her the location of his boat?! DID HE SAY GOODBYE TO MURPHY?

What the hell? Do we get a DLC where we replay the whole game through Cunningham's eyes and find the fate of DJ Ricks? Is he going to become a series regular like you're doing with Howard?

According to the radios, he's still sending out dedications - albeit garbled and demonic ones. Are these actually Ricks or just his former dedications caught in a time warp? Is he alive but trapped in another "layer" of the town?

What's up, Vatra?
Why do we not get closure on him?
Did I miss a memo or something?

Is it because he's black? I mean, I know the black guy always dies first in American horror movies but that's not co- OH, NO WHAT IF MURPHY JUST FORGOT HIM?!

Hope House Careworker
 Post subject: Re: A satisfying conclu- hey, wait a minute

Missing since: 18 Dec 2006
Notes left: 708
I was actually wondering the same thing, and I'm under the impression the story isn't exactly finished, too. And the whole idea of "DLC" was the first thing that crossed my mind also. Which would be pretty awesome. Also keep in mind that there are a lot of buildings that you can't go in to, it probably wouldn't be too difficult to open some of those up for DLC, and have side missions that explain more about DJ Ricks.

At least I hope they'll do something with him. :P

Just Passing Through

This would be one of the few cases where DLC wouldn't piss me right off - used as an afterthought to an already good game to give people the option to revisit something they thought was over - to make it more complete.

Usually, though, I don't like to support DLC in any form. Developers are starting to pre-plan what content they're going to hold back, purposely release incomplete games, and try selling DLC on the game's day of release. -- I'll permanently cross entire product lines off my purchase list when a company pulls that. (Lookin' at you BioWare.)

That said, would I like to know how Cunningham just teleported all up into my grill several times, or what the hell happened to DJ Ricks? Sure!

I'm just glad I'm not the only person who didn't totally forget he existed as soon as I had his boat.

Brookhaven Receptionist

Missing since: 05 Dec 2009
Notes left: 857
Last seen at: New York
Man, I was thinking the same thing!!! My only thought was that he's meant to be stuck in Silent Hill limbo. Poor guy.

bakedpotatoesreggae.com

Cafe5to2 Waitress

Missing since: 23 Jun 2011
Notes left: 161
Last seen at: Silent Hill
The characters were not done properly. DJ Ricks and the other black guy (Howard, i think his name was) had so much potential. Howard disappears and we never see or hear him again. It was the same with DJ Ricks. The nun from St. Maria's was poorly done as well.

Historical Society Historian

Missing since: 26 Sep 2008
Notes left: 3356
Last seen at: United States, Texas
I don't think there is a single person who isn't wondering what happened to DJ Ricks/Sazh. They kind of build up his character then just eject him from the game as soon as you know he has a boat. What are these rules that he's talking about?

And yeah, I'd support any DLC that expands upon the story. More sidequests that explain what happened to DJ Ricks, and an expansion pack that details Anne's journey through Silent Hill, since she's certainly been through her own hell in her journey to kill Murphy. Maybe she gets her own version of the Otherworld.

Until you are near

Cafe5to2 Waitress

Missing since: 29 Jan 2008
Notes left: 265
DLC side quests and a side story with Anne would be fantastic additions, I have to say. I'd actually get on PSN to get them, too, since I'm not actually on it yet. I'd definitely like to know more about Ricks and Howard, but there is some tie in material with Howard at least; the comic, Silent Hill: Past Life and he is meant to be a returning character (and somewhat important?) in Book of Memories so I suppose it's only a matter of time.

I don't know what Vatra's schedule or plans are but, considering they listened to the fans so readily concerning pretty much ALL of Downpour, I'm sure if enough of us asked they'd have something in the works for DLC that wasn't just costumes.

Just Passing Through

I've been toying around with the idea that Ricks is, like Howard, a manifestation of the town, or at least a permanent consciousness that plays a much larger role than an ordinary human... but then why would he act the way he does? Howard's just doing his thing - I love when he gives Murphy the letter, Murphy tosses it, and he pulls the same letter out of his bag again while saying to the tune of "You just don't get it, do you?" We know right there that he knows more than we'll ever know about Silent Hill...

Ricks ... is freaking the hell out, doesn't want to break The Rules, and can't wait to escape. To me, that says he's not a permanent resident or supernatural manifestation; or at least not on the same level as Howard.

I have an idea... what if his essence (the town's memory of him) is trapped on a loop... like one of his records. There IS no real Ricks anymore - just a lingering manifestation of him that is stuck on the spirit world's version of repeat.

Cafe5to2 Waitress

Missing since: 29 Jan 2008
Notes left: 265
Ooooohhohooo I actually like that possibility quite a lot. It feels like it would be pretty dead on and in line with a lot of the imagery used in the game anyway. There's tons of gramophones/record players around, songs keep popping up and looping, the whole clock/time imagery, not to mention he's someone that works directly with that sort of thing as his job. That seems to have a bit of potential.

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11384
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
Frankly, I just want to know how Ricks got into this situation, how he gets his information, and how he works out Silent Hill has 'rules' when those rules change from person to person.

Also whatever the deal with Howard is. Why does Silent Hill all of a sudden have a retconned-in Magical Negro who lives forever and knows everything about everything? Silent Hill doesn't need a goddamn mouthpiece, and why is Howard interfering in Murphy's business now but saw fit to leave every past protagonist alone?

Cafe5to2 Waitress

Missing since: 22 Dec 2006
Notes left: 295
Last seen at: Leeds, UK
DLC from Anne's POV or DLC to explain Ricks/Howard sounds like a slap in the face to be honest. If people can complain about Bioware adding extra optional characters for you to play then Vatra adding DLC to quite simply explain characters that weren't properly implemented in the game in the first place is a joke (IMO).

Missing since: 26 Sep 2008
Notes left: 3356
Last seen at: United States, Texas
Martee wrote:
DLC from Anne's POV or DLC to explain Ricks/Howard sounds like a slap in the face to be honest. If people can complain about Bioware adding extra optional characters for you to play then Vatra adding DLC to quite simply explain characters that weren't properly implemented in the game in the first place is a joke (IMO).

Leaving DLC on the disk(which is exactly what Bioware and Crapcom have been doing lately) in order to jip customers out of even more money is one thing, but if fans genuinely want an addition to the story that adds even more replayability and allows the player to experience Downpour's story from the prospective of another character, then I say "why the hell not?" I know I'm not the only one who wants another scenario to play; Born From a Wish was pretty well done, and it fit into the frame of Silent Hill 2's main story, and it explained a little bit about Maria.

Until you are near

Cafe5to2 Waitress

Missing since: 22 Dec 2006
Notes left: 295
Last seen at: Leeds, UK
aj4x94 wrote:
Martee wrote:

Leaving DLC on the disk(which is exactly what Bioware and Crapcom have been doing lately) in order to jip customers out of even more money is one thing, but if fans genuinely want an addition to the story that adds even more replayability and allows the player to experience Downpour's story from the prospective of another character, then I say "why the hell not?" I know I'm not the only one who wants another scenario to play; Born From a Wish was pretty well done, and it fit into the frame of Silent Hill 2's main story, and it explained a little bit about Maria.

There's a difference between DLC for Anne and Maria's Born from a Wish, as Anne tried to have her story told during the game and in turn caused both her story and Murphys story to end up broken and feeling half finished (IMO).
Maria on the other hand was directly part of James story and didn't try to tell her own story during Silent Hill 2 thus meaning James story, which everyone bought Silent Hill 2 for was completed and unharmed.
So Born from a Wish was a nice addition, but literally adding DLC to flesh out a characters story which should have been fleshed out from the start is disrespectful and much worse than adding extras onto a finished game much like EA and Capcom do.
If they wanted to tell Murphy/Anne's story properly they should have made two seperate games to tell Murphy and Annes stories perfectly and not just shoehorned Anne onto the end of Downpour.

Also though not really what this discussion is about, putting DLC on the disk is to convenience players who want the DLC as all it means is unlocking said DLC and not having to download it all. Ontop of this it means that the download servers for the DLC don't end up breaking on the first day of launch from so many people downloading large files and thus everyone moaning that they can't download their DLC that they paid for.
You also have to remember that when you buy a game you buy the right to play the piece of software you bought, you don't actually buy the rights to the game itself.
If you haven't bought the DLC whether it is on your computer/disk or not you don't own the right to play it.
Much like you can download trial versions of software packages but until you buy it you legally can't use the full version, even though you might have downloaded the full version.
The way I think of it, though not entirely correct, is that buying games that have DLC is like buying a toy which has a package that says 'batteries not included'.

Gravedigger

Missing since: 27 Sep 2009
Notes left: 491
I think DJ Ricks was the most fascinating Silent Hill character next to Vincent. Like when he said stuff you were like "WHOA WAIT SO YOU KNOW THINGS TELL ME THESE THINGS" but then it's gone. So, in a way I don't mind him being gone because it keeps that air of mystery, problem is none of the rest of the game is that "mysterious". The other world parts are very over the top, lots of stuff in your face, etc.

Woodside Apartments Janitor

Missing since: 23 Apr 2006
Notes left: 1068
Last seen at: Upsate NY
While Ricks' story did feel incomplete to me, I really didn't expect him to show up again at all. I feel like he was deliberately dangled in front of us, and yanked away, by the town itself. Almost like he was crossbled from another 'part/layer' of Silent Hill and when the town realized that, it had to remove him before Murphy learned too much.

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 01 Mar 2008
Notes left: 57
That was kind of annoying to have Ricks just dissappear after he offers us his boat. Some other things that were bugging me:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Why when you meet the boogeyman in the monastery does he have Ricks keys?

[Reveal] Spoiler:
who was calling in all those song requests for Murphy?

I love the Silent Hill Series. The games: Homecoming, Origins, and Shattered Memories, did nothing wrong whatsoever, they were developed well, and did things different. Just because they were not by Team Silent doesn't mean that they're bad games. I believe in this series. I believe that one day, we can have a game that will make all Silent Hill fans Happy. I believe that Silent Hill Downpour can achieve this.
Team Silent may be gone, but their series isn't. Instead... it's here, it's alive.
If you agree, add it to your sig.

My Bestsellers Clerk

Missing since: 06 Nov 2011
Notes left: 405
Ricks was definitely an interesting, yet poorly used/designed character (in the frist place).

It's as if we have an interesting snack deliberately dangled in front of us for the direct purpose of making us fans go on topic-theory rage, then having it all deliberately yanked away.

The other games pulled this off without even having it intended in the first place, but Ricks? It was all so...planned out. Like he was 'unfinished' on purpose. That bothers me.

I do agree with the DLC. If Ricks wasn't good in the first place, it's stupid to add DLC. It's like saying, "Oh shit, let me add in a couple of chapters to my novel so that you can I can clear up the loopholes that were there to add vagueness." Same thing with a lot of the characters in the series.

If Ricks wasn't left like that intentionally, I can accept the DLC to some extent, and not to some full-blown package that explains every aspect of mythology left out.

I also agree that Anne's story was sponged on to Murphy's. She was a part of Murphy's story but not too directly, akin to James and Maria. They should have had more segments with her, instead of leaving it so...unpolished at the end. Hell, even adding in a short Born From a Wish scenario would have been acceptable.

Missing since: 05 Jul 2010
Notes left: 3339
Last seen at: Kentucky
I really would love some DLC for this game. I wanna find out what happens to Ricks, dang it!

Also, I'm a bit confused...

Okay. Anne says that her father (Frank) became a vegetable after he was beaten, but Murphy was framed for murder. Uh...did he die or not?

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 16 Jun 2009
Notes left: 125
Aerith Gainsborough wrote:
I really would love some DLC for this game. I wanna find out what happens to Ricks, dang it!

Okay. Anne says that her father (Frank) became a vegetable after he was beaten, but Murphy was framed for murder. Uh...did he die or not?

Anne says Frank didn't die right away, so he did die from the beating Murphy was framed for but lived as a vegetable for a little while first.

Gravedigger

Missing since: 27 Sep 2009
Notes left: 491
Dark Shadow wrote:
Aerith Gainsborough wrote:

Anne says Frank didn't die right away, so he did die from the beating Murphy was framed for but lived as a vegetable for a little while first.

This.

So he was probably put in for attempted murder, and possibly murder when Frank died, idunno. Either way an attack that fierce would definitely get you in deep trouble with the law.