Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 09 Dec 2019

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 339 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject: Re: Anyone ok with Vatra doing another Silent Hill?

Missing since: 12 Feb 2009
Notes left: 8023
Perhaps Double Helix will get a second shot...?

Missing since: 22 Jun 2006
Notes left: 1924
Last seen at: Katz Street
^ No.

No because you don't like them, no because it's probably going to be another studio or no because the series died?

I don't mind Homecoming and enjoyed it, but I recognise that nearly every complaint people have with the game is true. That added with the plans the team had for the game (like Alessa and Josh fighting over control of the town as 1 example) would make me personally weary of them making another SH title. The company in itself has not made one good game, and that's a pretty universal opinion even if some people may like them or a game or 2 they have made.
I just know there are much better developers out there than Double Helix that would actually have a grasp on the source material if another SH is made after BoM.

Missing since: 21 Jul 2003
Notes left: 11979
Last seen at: Nova Scotia, Canada
I enjoyed Homecoming far more than I did Downpour. However, finding out what they had planned for future SH games also makes me very wary of them touching it again.

and said "There you are.
There you are.
There's my heart..."

Cafe5to2 Waitress

Missing since: 01 Jun 2012
Notes left: 152
Last seen at: Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters
Silent Fantasy wrote:
I just know there are much better developers out there than Double Helix that would actually have a grasp on the source material if another SH is made after BoM.

This is my answer to having Double Helix back as well. I am personally hoping for an established developer who actually has some A grade games under their belts. DH had their chance and they blew it. Downpour wasn't God among games but at least it was original. Homecoming was little more than a fan service which really made me hate it. It's the SH game I have beaten the least amount of times. I gave it a shot more than once but I'm just going to hope for a new developer. Vatra you did okay.

Subway Guard

Missing since: 20 Jul 2004
Notes left: 1538
Last seen at: VA
People keep going on about there being much better options than DH, but i don't see any names being given. Also, how do you even know that these "better" developers would even want to take on a SH project?

Gravedigger

Missing since: 27 Sep 2009
Notes left: 491
Someone should try to get Kojima down for it.

Just sayin'.

Say what you will about Homecoming, I thought it had the mood down and Hell Descent plus Scarlet are series highlights.

Kojima needs to stay far far away from Silent Hill. The series is already barely coherent as it is.

and said "There you are.
There you are.
There's my heart..."

Kojima should only focus on MGS...

Fuck, I like Metal Gear and even thought that it would be nice to see him working on a SH but what wrote that post was blind fanboyism. When I listened to the voice of reason I knew that the series would be better without him working on it.

My Bestsellers Clerk

Missing since: 24 Nov 2011
Notes left: 398
Kojima and his terrible writing should stay the hell away from Silent Hill. Shit, there are already enough whiny fans bitching about lack of Japanese influence in the SH games. Even though Kojima is Japanese, he's always been very vocal and recognized for both his love of Western cinema and Western gameplay design.

That wouldn't really be putting to the rest all the fears the Japanophile portion of the fanbase might have.

He needs to stay the hell from MGS as well, bite the bullet, and just make a new IP already. Kojima Productions (and Konami as a whole) doesn't need to develop an image as just being "the Metal Gear company".

They shouldn't built an image to be known as the "Silent Hill Company", too...

Let them just be Konami. And change the director already.

Cafe5to2 Waitress

Missing since: 01 Jun 2012
Notes left: 152
Last seen at: Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters
Skele wrote:
People keep going on about there being much better options than DH, but i don't see any names being given. Also, how do you even know that these "better" developers would even want to take on a SH project?

Eurocom
Frictional Games
id Software
Irrational Games
Pandemic Studios
Remedy Entertainment
Valve Corporation
ZeniMax Online Studios

These are just a few established developers. I'm not saying that all of the above are good choices I'm just showing that there are other developers besides the ones who have already handled Silent Hill.

What kind of question is "how do you even know that these "better" developers would even want to take on a SH project?"

You know we can't answer that. This conversation is about who we think Silent Hill should be handed to and in the end it's just a whole bunch of fan's hopes and dreams.

Droo wrote:
Say what you will about Homecoming, I thought it had the mood down and Hell Descent plus Scarlet are series highlights.

Kojima needs to stay far far away from Silent Hill. The series is already barely coherent as it is.

I really like the enemies and bosses from Homecoming and I'm not debating that Double Helix didn't do a good job on that. It's everything else. Dodge system, storyline, characters, and plot twist were all just....Blah to me. The story just felt like it was stretching and it felt out of place among the other titles on my shelf. This is just my personal opinion. It's a solid game but just not for me.

I'm not here to debate Homecoming. I'm just saying that maybe SH would be better off taking a chance with another developer instead of settling for past developers good or bad.

Subway Guard

Missing since: 20 Jul 2004
Notes left: 1538
Last seen at: VA
^Of all the developers you listed, I would only consider Frictional, or Remedy.. and that's cos both are responsible for Alan Wake and Amnesia. But with that said, i don't think either would want to do a SH game.

Also, I agree that Homecoming's story could've been better, but i felt that everything you learn about Alex and his relationship with his parents, along with the "pact," was really interesting. But yeah, they could've definitely improved with building up other characters (mainly Adam).

My Bestsellers Clerk

I would like to see Rockstar tackle the survival horror genre. Not Silent Hill, but just create their own survival horror game. While Manhunt isn't a survival horror game (never understood why some people say it is), it does have a sort of grasp on limiting the player's abilities a bit to create tension. Not to mention that game (and many of Rockstar's other IPs) has shown they're no strangers to easter eggs and various references.

It'd be nice to see them try something new and if such a game turns out to be a success it could help revitalize the popularity of the survival horror genre by having such a well known developer putting out a survival horror title.

Yeah, I know. Keep dreaming.

Manhunt was undeniably a horror game.

and said "There you are.
There you are.
There's my heart..."

Missing since: 12 Oct 2009
Notes left: 2523
Skele wrote:
^Of all the developers you listed, I would only consider Frictional, or Remedy.. and that's cos both are responsible for Alan Wake and Amnesia. But with that said, i don't think either would want to do a SH game.

Also, I agree that Homecoming's story could've been better, but i felt that everything you learn about Alex and his relationship with his parents, along with the "pact," was really interesting. But yeah, they could've definitely improved with building up other characters (mainly Adam).

I wouldn't want Frictional to work on it. I've seen some of their suggestions for the series... including the elimination of any map function.

My Bestsellers Clerk

Droo wrote:
Manhunt was undeniably a horror game.

How on earth on was it a horror game? Merely having dark atmosphere and gore doesn't make it one which is about all it has in common with the horror genre.

It's just an adventure/stealth type of video game with a snuff film premise.

^ Which is a type of horror, just like Silent Hill and the old Resident Evil titles. All 3 just use different elements of the horror genre.

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11384
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
Manhunt was a horror game precisely BECAUSE it had stealth and snuff. It was literally a game about avoiding being murdered by psychopaths and being in a position of inferiority and weakness if you actually ran into them. That's horror by textbook definition.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 339 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next