There's no such thing as stupid questions ... Downpour FAQ

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Re: There's no such thing as stupid questions ... Downpour F

Post by AuraTwilight »

Either way, we don't know how much Murphy knows about his target.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

JuriDawn wrote:I was under the very strong impression that Murphy was expecting to ambush another prisoner. Sewell tells Murphy that it's going to be just like the last attack in which Napier was the victim. There's no indication that he will be attacking a guard, unless I'm having a major memory lapse.
I second this. Murphy clearly has no idea who he's going to kill; all he knows is that it's going to be someone trapped in the showers with him.
Glenn
Gravedigger

Post by Glenn »

Yuki wrote:
JuriDawn wrote:I was under the very strong impression that Murphy was expecting to ambush another prisoner. Sewell tells Murphy that it's going to be just like the last attack in which Napier was the victim. There's no indication that he will be attacking a guard, unless I'm having a major memory lapse.
I second this. Murphy clearly has no idea who he's going to kill; all he knows is that it's going to be someone trapped in the showers with him.
I third this. Murphy talks about how Frank always tried to help him out such as offering the program to good prisoners so they would get out sooner. He would have never agreed or even went into the showers if Murphy knew it would be Frank.
thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by thy_butcher »

^ I don't know...
Murphy might have been desperate enough to still do it.
JuriDawn
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by JuriDawn »

Murphy has no sense of desperation left by the time of the second attack. He's already acted out his vengeance; Napier is dead. His only motivation for killing Frank is to prevent Sewell from telling the authorities that he killed Napier. However, that threat is most likely hollow, since I can't imagine Sewell would be able to implicate Murphy without also admitting to aiding in the attack or at least hiding evidence.

Really, the only reason Sewell can expect Murphy to go through with this is that Murphy said he would. He doesn't give Murphy the details because he knows Murphy would refuse. Instead, Sewell is counting on getting him to the showers and hoping that just being there with a weapon will be enough to commit Murphy to finishing the deal. Sewell even has to be there personally to make sure Frank is killed. He knows his threat isn't enough, but it's not like he's really relying on Murphy to kill Frank for him. Sewell just needs someone to take the fall for it.
Yoshata
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Yoshata »

^^
I agree with this as well. I don't believe Murphy knew at all that it was going to be Frank before he got into the showers. He may have been angry and vengeful enough to kill Napier, but I do not believe that Murphy would've immediately agreed to kill someone whom he knew was a good, innocent person - especially someone who tried to help him, like Frank.
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
That's why, at least in Ending B which was what I got, Murphy says to himself "this wasn't part of the deal" when he gets to the showers and sees Frank.
I haven't gotten any other endings yet (and don't intend to see them until I get them myself after more playthroughs), so I don't know if it's any different in those.
Esperandote
Just Passing Through

Post by Esperandote »

I visited the Gamefaqs section briefly once I beat the game (I've only beaten it once so far) to see what kind of unlockables there are and it looked like there was pretty much nothing, except for the nail gun and whatever else you get for preordering from Best Buy, or however you get the codes for those items.

This really disappointed me. One of my favorite things about the series has always been trying to unlock the special items/weapons. I've been trying to avoid spoilers pertaining to the other endings and whatnot since my impulse peek at Gamefaqs, and I've been wondering if there are indeed any unlockable items that the people who wrote the unlockables section for Gamefaqs didn't discover yet.

Also, without giving away TOO much, is one of the endings comical? I really hope there's a silly ending! Beyond there being a silly one, though, I don't want to know if it has to do with UFOs or dogs or whatever. I would just like to know if there is one to look for. Usually, on my first few plays through these games, I like to try to discover these things on my own without any help, and if after a long time of searching I still can't do it, then I look it up online. So for now, I would just like to know if there's even something I'm looking for.
SAIRENT HIRU no uta minna de utaou!
thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by thy_butcher »

There certainly is a silly ending.
JuriDawn
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by JuriDawn »

^Yes, and it's hilarious! You can't get it on your first playthrough, however. I'm also a big fan of the joke endings (love your sig, btw) and Downpour's might be my new favorite even if you have to dig for it. ;)

I'll also warn you that if you ever look up the codes for opening those lockers, don't use the one for the nail gun! I've read that it glitches and you can't put it down, which causes serious problems in the game.
fudgestix

Post by fudgestix »

JuriDawn wrote:
I'll also warn you that if you ever look up the codes for opening those lockers, don't use the one for the nail gun! I've read that it glitches and you can't put it down, which causes serious problems in the game.
Strange, I used the code for the nail gun, and I could drop it just fine. I somehow managed to avoid every major glitch supposedly in this game :o. Although I don't think guns are really needed at all, I found melee to be a much easier way to deal with enemies.
THE RULES! [click me and learn]
"I think I'd prefer a sword over a penis anyday." - Wigeke
Mxpn - Restless Night (bandcamp)
phantomess
Moderator & Cult Member
Moderator & Cult Member

Post by phantomess »

I never had a problem putting down the nailgun, either.
Esperandote
Just Passing Through

Post by Esperandote »

Huh. Thanks for the info, guys! Exactly what I was looking for. I was pretty disappointed with Homecoming's joke ending. Good to hear this one is hilarious.

And as for that nail gun glitch, I guess I'll try for the nail gun after the patches are out.
SAIRENT HIRU no uta minna de utaou!
Vixx
Founder & Administrator
Founder & Administrator

Post by Vixx »

Dealing with the nailgun glitch myself. REALLY REALLY bloody frustrating.
V xx

© 2003-2024 Vixx. The contents of this post may only be used within the boundaries of silenthillforum.com. Any usage outside of the aforementioned forum is strictly prohibited. No, I can't believe this place is still up and running, either.
Number 7
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Number 7 »

Cyrus Hanley wrote:
Cyrus Hanley wrote:Does anyone know what the WLMN in WLMN FM stands for?

This is something that's been bothering me for a while now.
Does anybody have an answer to this? I've played Downpour once and am on the second playthough, but haven't found a note or memo explaining this.
Someone in a YouTube comment I read suggested that WLMN might stand for "WheeLMaN." What do you guys think? An intentional connection or coincidence?
"He's underground now. His new name is Number Seven."
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

They're the station's call numbers. They don't mean anything.
ashatteredmemory
Gravedigger

Post by ashatteredmemory »

still, saying the word WLMN as if it isn't an abbreviation, (so no double-u el em en), it sounds like wilman-> wheelman
"Grown-ups tell kids there's no such thing as monsters, that the Bogeyman is just make-believe, and there's nothing hiding under their beds, but that's a lie. Because I've seen 'em." - Murphy Pendleton
Harlequin
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Harlequin »

KiramidHead wrote:They're the station's call numbers. They don't mean anything.
True, but the team behind the game still had to choose what combination they wanted. The Wheelman thing may be the reason they chose those letters.
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

Harlequin wrote:
KiramidHead wrote:They're the station's call numbers. They don't mean anything.
True, but the team behind the game still had to choose what combination they wanted. The Wheelman thing may be the reason they chose those letters.
I forgot what fan base this is. Everything has meaning, dammit! :D
AyaKara
Just Passing Through

Post by AyaKara »

That's too much of a coincidence. I say: yes :D

Really though, that is pretty amazing and is something that would have occurred in SH1-3 if the devs had thought about it.
Aerith Gainsborough

Post by Aerith Gainsborough »

I don't know about radio stations, but TV stations (particularly news stations) tend to have acronyms, such as LEX18 means Lexington Ch. 18. It could just be merely a coincidence like Kiramid said, but that would be really cool if there was some significance.
I'm rarely on the forums anymore. Click here for ways to reach me.