There's no such thing as stupid questions ... Downpour FAQ

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

Yuki
Historical Society Historian

Re: There's no such thing as stupid questions ... Downpour F

Post by Yuki »

Pendleton wrote:
Soulless-Shadow wrote: Napier was never oficially confirmed from the police that he killed Charlie, Murphy would have never get in Ryall State Prison if the police knew Napier had killed his son.
See that always confused me. Because I don't think the police arrested Murphy for his sons death. Unless I missed something, they never reveal why Murphy is in jail.
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
at least duri ending A, Sewell says somthing like "you went through all the trouble to get yourself in here." which leads me to believe that he committed a different crime, just to get thrown into the same prison as Napier.
Also, if Napier wasn't confirmed as the killer, then why was he locked up? He was a sequestered prisoner, (he even says that too Murphy) which they tend to do to sex offenders in jail. They keep them separate from the rest of the population, for fear the other prisoners will kill them.

Which didn't seem to help of course, because as one of the hidden UV light messages said, "sequestered doesn't equal safe"

So was Napier confirmed as the killer? Or was he arrested for another child's murder?
He was arrested for other children's murders, not for Charlie's.

Also, for what it's worth, Tomm confirmed over at Silent Hill Community that Sewell saying in Ending B that Murphy did not kill Frank is a mistake.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

That's an odd mistake.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

The Adversary wrote:That's an odd mistake.
I agree, especially because it made it all the way into the game itself, but here you go.
fudgestix

Post by fudgestix »

^ That is a really odd mistake :?

I have a question. What is the significance of the final boss's furniture throwing attack? All through the game I got hints that abuse/violence was key to a character, due finding so many bottles around, and broken furniture. I was kind of surprised when nothing was addressed in any of the endings I've seen. (I have yet to get through most of the side quests, so maybe there is something there I'm missing?)

I guess it could be to do with the riot, but it just doesn't seem to sit with me as a good enough reasoning.
THE RULES! [click me and learn]
"I think I'd prefer a sword over a penis anyday." - Wigeke
Mxpn - Restless Night (bandcamp)
KingCrimson
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by KingCrimson »

Good question, fudgestix. I was honestly too busy laughing at the whole setup to think of the symbolism. No other monsters exhibit psychokinesis, so maybe it's an Akira sort of thing, where his atrophied body is compensated by being able to fling chairs around with his mind?

That statement from Tomm about ending B is very peculiar. Is there any reason that ending would only work as planned if Murphy killed Napier?
Aerith Gainsborough

Post by Aerith Gainsborough »

Perhaps Murphy was a bad alcoholic and would throw furniture around? He apparently did have a very bad past before he met Carol, so maybe he used to be a really bad drunk.
I'm rarely on the forums anymore. Click here for ways to reach me.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

I'm guessing Frank was just jealous he could no longer use furniture, being wheelchair-bound 'til his death.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
fudgestix

Post by fudgestix »

Aerith Gainsborough wrote:Perhaps Murphy was a bad alcoholic and would throw furniture around? He apparently did have a very bad past before he met Carol, so maybe he used to be a really bad drunk.
Where does it say he had a bad past before Carol? In fact, I remember Frank asking how a guy with no previous record ended up doing something so stupid (or something to that effect). Did I miss a memo that corrects that?

Either way that doesn't really answer my question of why the last boss would use the attack, which represents Frank.
The Adversary wrote:I'm guessing Frank was just jealous he could no longer use furniture, being wheelchair-bound 'til his death.
I guess that could make sense.
Aerith Gainsborough

^I believe it says it in the Gallery in the Extras menu under Carol's picture. It says something along the lines that he was a bad person person before they met, she was always his best friend, and was surprised that she would want anything to do with him. I actually don't have that Extra, so I can't quote it exactly, but someone posted it, I believe, in the Character symbolism thread.

Meh, it was a farfetch'd idea, but I figured I'd throw it out there, anyway.

I don't see what makes chairs so significant that they have to be thrown, though, unless they symbolize confinement.
Wigeke
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Wigeke »

Hulett said the bonus gallery stuff wasn't written by him, Waltz or Gomez so we should take it with a grain of salt.
fudgestix

Post by fudgestix »

After what Tomm posted at SHC I'm inclined not to take anything from the extras as evidence.
The bonus gallery text wasn't written by Gomez, Waltz, or myself. So any weird points should not be taken as truth necessarily. Grains of salt please.
Pendleton
Just Passing Through

Post by Pendleton »

Aerith Gainsborough wrote:Perhaps Murphy was a bad alcoholic and would throw furniture around?

That's actually not as far fetched as you think.

Aside from the thousands on bottles around the town, and no shortage of what is best described as the military grade combat line from Ikea to help you through the nightmare, don't forget the man in Devils Pit. The rail car driver who got drunk and killed all those people.

All of those things could add some evidence to the alcoholic theory. Maybe he was a heavy drinker before hand, or, maybe the death of his son and ending of his marriage pushed him over the edge, and the only relief he could find was at the bottom of a bottle.
Aerith Gainsborough

I didn't read that until after I posted that. My apologies. I find it silly that they allowed them in the game if they should be 'taken with a grain of salt.' That's just a disservice to us, to be frank.

To be honest, I have no real reason to say that he was an alcoholic. I just threw it out there. Apparently the alcohol wasn't doing too well, since he needed to 'get away' by stealing a cop car and leading them on a high speed pursuit so that he could get revenge.

The furniture looks pretty plain and simple, and like the furniture you see in the prison cells. That's probably all it is, really.
Soulless-Shadow
Subway Guard

Post by Soulless-Shadow »

Pendleton wrote:
Aerith Gainsborough wrote:Perhaps Murphy was a bad alcoholic and would throw furniture around?

That's actually not as far fetched as you think.

Aside from the thousands on bottles around the town, and no shortage of what is best described as the military grade combat line from Ikea to help you through the nightmare, don't forget the man in Devils Pit. The rail car driver who got drunk and killed all those people.
Perhaps the bottles are less to do with Murphy and more to do with JP? Perhaps some bleed over from him? Either that or they're just random weapons that have been added for the sake of diversity. :?
Aerith Gainsborough

^The only argument I have against that is that you see bottles throughout the game, just about in every area you go to. I definitely had my fair share of accidentally picking them up. :\
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

When we start applying symbolic meanings to chairs and bottles, we need to step back a bit and realize that sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.
Aerith Gainsborough

^Right, and that may very well be the case. The furniture thrown around during the final boss fight looks like random furniture you see in the cells or in the game itself. The boss probably just had them at his disposal and just threw them.
Harlequin
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Harlequin »

fudgestix wrote:
Pendleton wrote:
Soulless-Shadow wrote: Napier was never oficially confirmed from the police that he killed Charlie, Murphy would have never get in Ryall State Prison if the police knew Napier had killed his son.
See that always confused me. Because I don't think the police arrested Murphy for his sons death. Unless I missed something, they never reveal why Murphy is in jail.
Murphy was arrested for stealing a police car and taking it on a several hour joy ride. It's revealed in a memo you find in a side quest.
Sewell also mentions it in a flashback, I believe around the midpoint of the main story.
fudgestix

Post by fudgestix »

^Oh yes. Slipped my mind, I knew it was mentioned at least!
KiramidHead wrote:When we start applying symbolic meanings to chairs and bottles, we need to step back a bit and realize that sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.
You could very well be right, especially regarding the chairs, but the bottles seemed awfully prominent, as did the cigarette packets; but thinking in terms of what I know about the story, they probably represent nothing more than ways for Murphy to avoid facing his guilt - if anything.
Aerith Gainsborough wrote:^Right, and that may very well be the case. The furniture thrown around during the final boss fight looks like random furniture you see in the cells or in the game itself. The boss probably just had them at his disposal and just threw them.
This could be the case, but in a fight that seemed so loaded with symbolism, it just seems off to have such a seemingly meaningless attack.
thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by thy_butcher »

What?
Ending B is wrong? It's what I got... I liked it a lot.
What the hell?
And everything in the "extras" menu can be cast aside completely?

Wow. That's sooo weird...