Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 13 Dec 2018

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 269 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject: Re: There's no such thing as stupid questions ... Downpour F

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11381
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
Either way, we don't know how much Murphy knows about his target.

Missing since: 12 Oct 2009
Notes left: 2523
JuriDawn wrote:
I was under the very strong impression that Murphy was expecting to ambush another prisoner. Sewell tells Murphy that it's going to be just like the last attack in which Napier was the victim. There's no indication that he will be attacking a guard, unless I'm having a major memory lapse.

I second this. Murphy clearly has no idea who he's going to kill; all he knows is that it's going to be someone trapped in the showers with him.

Gravedigger

Missing since: 30 Jul 2011
Notes left: 450
Yuki wrote:
JuriDawn wrote:
I was under the very strong impression that Murphy was expecting to ambush another prisoner. Sewell tells Murphy that it's going to be just like the last attack in which Napier was the victim. There's no indication that he will be attacking a guard, unless I'm having a major memory lapse.

I second this. Murphy clearly has no idea who he's going to kill; all he knows is that it's going to be someone trapped in the showers with him.

I third this. Murphy talks about how Frank always tried to help him out such as offering the program to good prisoners so they would get out sooner. He would have never agreed or even went into the showers if Murphy knew it would be Frank.

Brookhaven Receptionist

Missing since: 05 Nov 2010
Notes left: 990
Last seen at: Kentucky
^ I don't know...
Murphy might have been desperate enough to still do it.

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Missing since: 08 Jan 2006
Notes left: 4060
Last seen at: Carrollton, TX
Murphy has no sense of desperation left by the time of the second attack. He's already acted out his vengeance; Napier is dead. His only motivation for killing Frank is to prevent Sewell from telling the authorities that he killed Napier. However, that threat is most likely hollow, since I can't imagine Sewell would be able to implicate Murphy without also admitting to aiding in the attack or at least hiding evidence.

Really, the only reason Sewell can expect Murphy to go through with this is that Murphy said he would. He doesn't give Murphy the details because he knows Murphy would refuse. Instead, Sewell is counting on getting him to the showers and hoping that just being there with a weapon will be enough to commit Murphy to finishing the deal. Sewell even has to be there personally to make sure Frank is killed. He knows his threat isn't enough, but it's not like he's really relying on Murphy to kill Frank for him. Sewell just needs someone to take the fall for it.

My Bestsellers Clerk

Missing since: 25 Jan 2010
Notes left: 444
^^
I agree with this as well. I don't believe Murphy knew at all that it was going to be Frank before he got into the showers. He may have been angry and vengeful enough to kill Napier, but I do not believe that Murphy would've immediately agreed to kill someone whom he knew was a good, innocent person - especially someone who tried to help him, like Frank.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
That's why, at least in Ending B which was what I got, Murphy says to himself "this wasn't part of the deal" when he gets to the showers and sees Frank.

I haven't gotten any other endings yet (and don't intend to see them until I get them myself after more playthroughs), so I don't know if it's any different in those.

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 13 Apr 2012
Notes left: 43
Last seen at: The corner of Matheson and Levin
I visited the Gamefaqs section briefly once I beat the game (I've only beaten it once so far) to see what kind of unlockables there are and it looked like there was pretty much nothing, except for the nail gun and whatever else you get for preordering from Best Buy, or however you get the codes for those items.

This really disappointed me. One of my favorite things about the series has always been trying to unlock the special items/weapons. I've been trying to avoid spoilers pertaining to the other endings and whatnot since my impulse peek at Gamefaqs, and I've been wondering if there are indeed any unlockable items that the people who wrote the unlockables section for Gamefaqs didn't discover yet.

Also, without giving away TOO much, is one of the endings comical? I really hope there's a silly ending! Beyond there being a silly one, though, I don't want to know if it has to do with UFOs or dogs or whatever. I would just like to know if there is one to look for. Usually, on my first few plays through these games, I like to try to discover these things on my own without any help, and if after a long time of searching I still can't do it, then I look it up online. So for now, I would just like to know if there's even something I'm looking for.

Brookhaven Receptionist

Missing since: 05 Nov 2010
Notes left: 990
There certainly is a silly ending.

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Missing since: 08 Jan 2006
Notes left: 4060
Last seen at: Carrollton, TX
^Yes, and it's hilarious! You can't get it on your first playthrough, however. I'm also a big fan of the joke endings (love your sig, btw) and Downpour's might be my new favorite even if you have to dig for it. ;)

I'll also warn you that if you ever look up the codes for opening those lockers, don't use the one for the nail gun! I've read that it glitches and you can't put it down, which causes serious problems in the game.

Missing since: 09 Aug 2007
Notes left: 3634
Last seen at: Federative Republic of Butts
JuriDawn wrote:

I'll also warn you that if you ever look up the codes for opening those lockers, don't use the one for the nail gun! I've read that it glitches and you can't put it down, which causes serious problems in the game.

Strange, I used the code for the nail gun, and I could drop it just fine. I somehow managed to avoid every major glitch supposedly in this game :o. Although I don't think guns are really needed at all, I found melee to be a much easier way to deal with enemies.

Mxpn - Restless Night (bandcamp)

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Missing since: 03 Jan 2005
Notes left: 4685
Last seen at: Colorado
I never had a problem putting down the nailgun, either.

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 13 Apr 2012
Notes left: 43
Last seen at: The corner of Matheson and Levin
Huh. Thanks for the info, guys! Exactly what I was looking for. I was pretty disappointed with Homecoming's joke ending. Good to hear this one is hilarious.

And as for that nail gun glitch, I guess I'll try for the nail gun after the patches are out.

Founder & Administrator
Founder & Administrator

Missing since: 06 Jul 2003
Notes left: 4179
Last seen at: Your Special Place
Dealing with the nailgun glitch myself. REALLY REALLY bloody frustrating.

The Faithful | The Seductress | The Alchemist | The Cult | SHHF FAQs | Fanlisting | Contact | Love to game?

© 2003-2018 Vixx. The contents of this post may only be used within the boundaries of http://www.silenthillforum.com. Any usage outside of the aforementioned forum is strictly prohibited.

Brookhaven Receptionist

Missing since: 18 Jun 2004
Notes left: 867
Last seen at: Georgia, USA
Cyrus Hanley wrote:
Cyrus Hanley wrote:
Does anyone know what the WLMN in WLMN FM stands for?

This is something that's been bothering me for a while now.

Does anybody have an answer to this? I've played Downpour once and am on the second playthough, but haven't found a note or memo explaining this.

Someone in a YouTube comment I read suggested that WLMN might stand for "WheeLMaN." What do you guys think? An intentional connection or coincidence?

Missing since: 01 Jun 2009
Notes left: 2890
They're the station's call numbers. They don't mean anything.

Gravedigger

Missing since: 30 Sep 2009
Notes left: 563
Last seen at: Centennial Building
still, saying the word WLMN as if it isn't an abbreviation, (so no double-u el em en), it sounds like wilman-> wheelman

"Grown-ups tell kids there's no such thing as monsters, that the Bogeyman is just make-believe, and there's nothing hiding under their beds, but that's a lie. Because I've seen 'em." - Murphy Pendleton

Cafe5to2 Waitress

Missing since: 29 May 2010
Notes left: 172
Last seen at: Texas
KiramidHead wrote:

True, but the team behind the game still had to choose what combination they wanted. The Wheelman thing may be the reason they chose those letters.

Missing since: 01 Jun 2009
Notes left: 2890
Harlequin wrote:
KiramidHead wrote:

True, but the team behind the game still had to choose what combination they wanted. The Wheelman thing may be the reason they chose those letters.

I forgot what fan base this is. Everything has meaning, dammit! :D

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 15 Feb 2010
Notes left: 33
Last seen at: Silent Hill, I hope.
That's too much of a coincidence. I say: yes :D

Really though, that is pretty amazing and is something that would have occurred in SH1-3 if the devs had thought about it.

Missing since: 05 Jul 2010
Notes left: 3339
I don't know about radio stations, but TV stations (particularly news stations) tend to have acronyms, such as LEX18 means Lexington Ch. 18. It could just be merely a coincidence like Kiramid said, but that would be really cool if there was some significance.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 269 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next