Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 07 Dec 2019

Just Passing Through
 Post subject: Re: Question About One Of The Endings

Missing since: 15 Nov 2011
Notes left: 142
swedish wrote:
Has anyone else noticed how Ending B ends up with both Anne and Murphy repeating their mistakes? Not only is it hinted that Anne seeks revenge for her father at worst, but it's implied that Murphy decides to end his own life. "There's someplace I gotta be," is what Murph says when Anne asks where he's going, as Murphy wades into the water behind the truck. Sater says the exact same lines before we see him jumping off into the falls. The contrast between the sunshine and rain in Ending A and B alludes to this even more, as if both Anne and Murphy are never able to fully "escape" Silent Hill because they both didn't quite "get it," despite being returned to the real world.

What does this have to do with Murphy not learning his lesson? I suppose it's because he never is able to cope with losing his son; after acknowledging that killing Napier wouldn't bring his son back and involving two innocent lives in his quest for revenge, perhaps he wants to connect with his deceased son the best way he can: by being dead himself.

I don't really think murphy is gonna suicide in end B, he just wants to be as far as he can from anne until the cops arrive X_X

Historical Society Historian

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11384
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
I just don't see anything even remotely implying suicidal tendencies on Murphy's part. Atleast with James, he talks about how he doesn't know what he'll do if he can't find Mary, and he only fights for his life because he has that impossible hope to acquire (or, post-twist, conquering his delusions and nightmares, because if he's gonna die it's gonna be on his own terms).

Murphy, however, has nothing like that. He earnestly tries his damndest to survive, and his only real motive in the town is escaping. From the beginning of the game he's intent on escaping the police and starting a new life somewhere.

RESPECT

Missing since: 19 Jul 2003
Notes left: 19401
Last seen at: #lfk
Well, Murph does say the line while he's standing in water. . . .

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 27 Apr 2007
Notes left: 96
"Someplace I gotta be" is a repeating line throughout Waltz's SH stuff.

I believe it is also said in Past Life. I don't think you should be tying it to JP.

Rosewater Park Attendant

Missing since: 12 Jan 2008
Notes left: 1299
The endings play off of (1) who Murphy is in general and (2) whether he learns from his experience. And they work off of a "variable backstory" system, in which case Murphy's actions in the game illustrate who he is. It's similar to the system in SH2, except the SHD endings reflect both Murphy's character and his past, while the SH2 ones reflect James's character alone.

I only consider Endings A-D valid for this analysis. E is a joke (and a strangely familiar one), and I more see F as a "cool way to die", since it is received by failing to defeat the final boss.

A. Murphy is a decent person, and he learns from his experience.
Past: Murphy did not kill anyone.
Present: Anne declares Murphy dead, leaving him free to start a new life.
Analysis: Makes perfect sense. Murphy was a good and decent individual who made a few bad choices out of a misguided desire for revenge. Even though he couldn't go through with it, it was too late to escape the consequences.

B. Murphy is a less-than decent person, but he learns form his experience.
Past: Murphy did not kill anyone.
Present: Ambiguous. Murphy either leaves (though Anne presumably does not declare him dead) or possibly kills himself. This ending is really more about Anne.
Analysis: This one is the big head-scratcher. Murphy proves to be a violent and distasteful individual. Given his grievance against Napier, it makes no sense whatsoever that he would have been unable to follow through with killing him. Added to Murphy's ambiguous fate, this is the odd ending out, the one that makes the least sense in the context of the "variable backstory" the endings allow for.

C. Murphy was a decent person (or at least a reformed one), but does not learn from his experience.
Past: Murphy almost certainly killed Napier, as well as Frank.
Present: Murphy must repeat what he went through in Silent Hill.
Analysis: Murphy's killing of Anne (in vengeance for the ordeal she put him through by shooting him) suggests that he has not learned what he is in Silent Hill to learn. However, his previous actions suggest that he is not beyond redemption. And so, he is cycled back to the beginning.

D. Murphy was thoroughly rotten, and remained so.
Past: Murphy killed Charlie, Napier (for unknown reasons), Frank, and Anne.
Present: Murphy is executed.
Analysis: Ugly as it is, it makes sense. In "Downpour", Murphy's actions in the game are the canvas for who he was before it, and the picture in both instances is an ugly one. His last words say it all.

Bottom Line: The system works, and makes a modicum of sense, but Ending B should have been drastically rewritten.

Quote:
D. Murphy was thoroughly rotten, and remained so.
Past: Murphy killed Charlie, Napier (for unknown reasons), Frank, and Anne.
Present: Murphy is executed.
Analysis: Ugly as it is, it makes sense. In "Downpour", Murphy's actions in the game are the canvas for who he was before it, and the picture in both instances is an ugly one. His last words say it all.

The problem is that the flashbacks and notes regarding Charlie being killed by someone else and Murphy being torn up by the despair are present even in the D ending, so like...is it a dream sequence where Murphy is accused of things he didn't actually do, or what?

The D ending is stupid, imo.

Missing since: 12 Oct 2009
Notes left: 2523
I don't understand why people constantly think D means Murphy did kill Charlie. I took it as the police accusing him of doing it, not that he did.

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Missing since: 08 Jan 2006
Notes left: 4060
Last seen at: Carrollton, TX
Yuki wrote:
I don't understand why people constantly think D means Murphy did kill Charlie. I took it as the police accusing him of doing it, not that he did.

It would have to be a pretty serious frame-job for Murphy to have been convicted. Since there's no evidence of that and Murphy does not protest his innocence, it's most logical to accept what the game is presenting there, even if it makes us hate Murphy (since I kinda think that's what the writers were going for with that ending).

Missing since: 12 Oct 2009
Notes left: 2523
It's possible, but the rest of the game kind of flies in the face of that, in my eyes.

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 04 Apr 2012
Notes left: 18
Hmmm, there's still loud discussion on the ending a certain other game from another franchise where the detractors are complaining all the endings don't change nearly enough and are too much of the same, and there's here where some people say the ending changes too much of the game. Not discussing that other thing at all. I'm done with that discussion FOREVER. Just slightly smiling at the irony.

I think the only ending that REALLY doesn't work is the Execution one. Even taunting JP and not trying to save Anna both times, that's a little extreme of a character reach to believe this was all some sort of delusion by Murphy to hide from responsibility for killing his own son, or that Sewell could reach as far as framing him up for it due to backing away from the deal. It's something that needed more ambiguity on the part of Murphy or some kind of development elsewhere. I could be missing something (I completely botched the getting access to the subway side quest, so I got lazy on everything else). It seems to be a REALLY bad ending for the sake of having one.

The Reversal ending is something that was kind of a neat idea, and I think it could've been properly implemented in Ending B. I don't know, if I were Twilight Zone-ing this thing, I'd go with Ending B (With the ambiguous dialogue on what Murphy's going to do. This is the franchise that celebrates Vincent's line, "Monsters? They look like monsters to you?," right?), go to the scene where Anna has a "talk" with Sewell, and then end it with a scene of Anna arriving at prison being unusually stopped by a guard whose name badge happens to also read Sewell. Zoom out and pan back, Rod Serling monologue, fade to black. LITTLE bit of a stretch that they'd allow him to guard at her prison, but the same goes for Anna being in charge of the transport for the person found guilty of seriously injuring her father.

The endings themselves are all right and I don't have a whole lot of complaints about them except Execution, but it seemed there wasn't one that truly balanced the good with the bad. Ending B is close, but the "talk" with Sewell comes off as too "positive" because it somewhat assumes because Sewell is such a bastard that if Anna does shoot him there, then that ends the cycle no matter if Anna get punished or not. That seems contradictory to what the game is implying about how even a righteous vengeance can cause a very dangerous cycle that wounds so many. Then again, there's a LOT you can infer that happens during and after that "talk." The Full Circle ending...... eh, endings that just hit the reset button don't appeal to me.

FYI: According to the police report, Murphy crossed state lines before they used road spikes and stopped him. Crossing state lines while committing a felony for most instances makes it an automatic federal crime, which can add plenty of years to one's sentence. The death of his son and his clean record probably took a good amount off, but once that happened, it becomes more than a simple theft and I'm sure forcing the states to use CONSIDERABLE amounts of enforcement resources for 9 hours is not going to leave most justices happy with a relative slap on the wrist. By the way, 9 HOURS?! Those are some seriously inefficient cops. Clearing the Interstate from collateral damage enough to roll out road spikes should take 2-3 hours MAX, and if this is supposed to be the east coast, Murphy HAD to have hit a toll booth somewhere in 9 hours or something to seriously slow him down enough to be stopped, even if it's the middle of the night and traffic's light. But I'm definitely over thinking it and being silly here.

EDIT: But wait, more real-life trivia that may or may not be of interest that could answer that last part: REAL Interstate 94 runs West-East from Billings, Montana to the Canadian border near Detroit, Michigan. The only area where Murphy could drive southbound for such a length is the western border of Minnesota to Milwaukee or Chicago (And even then, I highly doubt he gets past Minneapolis/St. Paul). This raises an interesting thought: Silent Hill could be in Minnesota or Wisconsin. Well, that WOULD explain how so much ice would build up so quickly in Shattered Memories. Oh yah.

Quote:
Silent Hill could be in Minnesota or Wisconsin.

Silent Hill is in New England; specifically, near or in Maine.

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 04 Apr 2012
Notes left: 18
AuraTwilight wrote:
Quote:
Silent Hill could be in Minnesota or Wisconsin.

Silent Hill is in New England; specifically, near or in Maine.

I apologize for having a dry personality that makes it hard to tell such things, especially on the Internet, but I was joking. Very few people would EVER put Silent Hill in Minnesota or Wisconsin. Though when the first one came out (Maybe the second, it's hard to remember), people were claiming it HAD to be on the west coast because all the trees and plant life more those on the west coast than the east coast (Trees were more tall and less thick or something like that). I'm thinking it may be just the Japanese could only get to the west coast to do direct location scouting.

Rosewater Park Attendant

QUOTE: The problem is that the flashbacks and notes regarding Charlie being killed by someone else and Murphy being torn up by the despair are present even in the D ending, so like...is it a dream sequence where Murphy is accused of things he didn't actually do, or what?

The D ending is stupid, imo.

I'm not sure I agree that it's stupid, but your point is definitely a valid one. The backstory doesn't really fir the flashbacks, or the latter part of the Orphanage sequence. So yes, maybe Ending D could have used some tweaking as well.

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

The D ending is equivalent to the Bad ending in Silent Hill. In the original game, the Bad ending renders the entirety of the game you just played pointless since
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Harry died in the crash before any of it took place; the events you play through are merely his dying dream.

In Downpour, the entirety of the game is rendered pointless just like in the original game. It could be argued that the events you play through are a dying dream of an executed prisoner who wants to see all the people present "in hell." Given the context, I think it's a rather good ending. For a bad ending, anyway. ;)

Missing since: 22 Jun 2006
Notes left: 1924
Last seen at: Katz Street
^ If Silent Hill's bad ending makes the game pointless, then Jacob's Ladder was a waste of time too.

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Poor word choice, my apologies. What I mean is that it retcons the events that the player has witnessed up to that point, revealing it all to be the protagonist's imaginings.

Missing since: 22 Jun 2006
Notes left: 1924
Last seen at: Katz Street
^That's true. That is the differance between Jacob's Ladder and Silent Hill.
And as for the D ending, I dont feel it made much sense either. I think it was trying to go more for a shock factor than anything.

Rosewater Park Attendant

I guess the D Ending is something you either like or you don't. I can't say I'm all that fond of it, but I suppose it has its place in the "Downpour" order of things. Each game has its own ending set, I think, but I think that Downpour (more than the others I'm most familiar with) wanted to have (instead of one Bad ending) endings with different levels of badness, depending on the kind of person you play. And D was the bottom of the barrel.