George Sewell

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

MistahJ
Cafe5to2 Waitress

George Sewell

Post by MistahJ »

I find it surprising that we don't have a single thread focusing on George Sewell, so I thought I'd make one. I personally felt like we never got too much insight of his character in the game. We know that
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
he was being investigated for "a number of illegal activities in the course of his duties" because of the Internal Memorandum (Guard Investigation) memo. There is also the Prisoner's Letter (1) where Ricky writes to his girlfriend: "And the worst of all are the guards. I swear, there aint a straight fuckin one in the bunch. Just assholes with badges who get their rocks off knocking around the inmates. I always thought getting ass raped by some dude was gonna be what I had to worry about in here. No one said nothing about having to watch my back for dumb ass, crooked bulls all the time." Presumably, Sewell was one of those cops. Whether or not Ricky meant that the guards themselves raped prisoners or that they were corrupt in other ways (or both), is up to interpretation. We also know that Sewell wanted Coleridge dead because of the investigation into his activities, so obviously he was corrupt in some way.
What I want to know is what you guys think about his character and actions.
"The truth is rarely pure and never simple" - Oscar Wilde

(somethinglacking on Discord)
Leo Ho Tep
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Re: George Sewell

Post by Leo Ho Tep »

I think the way he used people like tools says a lot about him. He's a sociopath with no regards for other people's life.
Dr. Robotnik
Just Passing Through

Post by Dr. Robotnik »

He's effective as an antagonist, but
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
I honestly liked the brief dynamic he was shown to have with Murphy in Ending D. In that ending, he seemed like more or less a genuinely good guy who treated Murphy like the scum he was just to piss him off.
Don, Aman
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Don, Aman »

While playing Downpour, I found myself wondering how much of the actual George Sewell we were seeing, and how much was filtered through Murphy's perspective. If he truly was exactly the man shown in the game, he was an irredeemable sociopath, for sure. But we may not have gotten a complete picture, as Dr. Robotnik points out with Ending D.
Don stepped outside... It feels good to be alone... He wished he was drunk...