Which Ending Was Your Favorite? *SPOILERS AHEAD*

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

TheWeepingBat
Just Passing Through

Which Ending Was Your Favorite? *SPOILERS AHEAD*

Post by TheWeepingBat »

This is my very first post, so please be patient with me. I don't even know if this is the right place to post, but I figured it was. If there is already another thread about this please let me know ( I just didn't see one like this)

Which was your favorite ending to SH: Downpour? Which one should be canon? My favorites are probably Endings B and C.

ALL 6 ENDINGS - Obvious *SPOILERS* Ahead...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Du0gsYtqoAA
Aerith Gainsborough
Historical Society Historian

Re: Which Ending Was Your Favorite? *SPOILERS AHEAD*

Post by Aerith Gainsborough »

Personally, my favorite ending was B. It was actually my first ending, as well. I liked how Murphy and Anne each got justice in the ending, and were able to finally see the truth and be able to be on good terms. Murphy got justice from his guilt, and Anne got to find out the truth about the death of her father and confront the killer. Ending A was all right, but it ended a bit short for me.
I'm rarely on the forums anymore. Click here for ways to reach me.
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

I like ending A and B the most. C isn't bad, but I didn't care for D at all. The Surprise ending is awesome, though.
TheWeepingBat
Just Passing Through

Post by TheWeepingBat »

Aerith Gainsborough wrote:Personally, my favorite ending was B. It was actually my first ending, as well. I liked how Murphy and Anne each got justice in the ending, and were able to finally see the truth and be able to be on good terms. Murphy got justice from his guilt, and Anne got to find out the truth about the death of her father and confront the killer. Ending A was all right, but it ended a bit short for me.
I'm glad you said that it reminded me, in Ending B...
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
Anne asks Murphy "Where will you go?" To which he replies, "There's some place I gotta be..."I kept wondering what he meant by that. He says this in Ending B Truth & Justice but not Ending A Forgiveness.

My theory is that Murphy is going back to Silent Hill to face his fate, doomed to relive the hell that he has created for himself. Much like Howard the Postman or DJ Ricks. Thoughts? Or am I just looking into this a little too much?
KiramidHead wrote:I like ending A and B the most. C isn't bad, but I didn't care for D at all. The Surprise ending is awesome, though.
Yeah, you gotta love the Surprise Ending. Made me Lol :D Vintage Silent Hill!
Last edited by TheWeepingBat on 27 Mar 2012, edited 1 time in total.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Ending B is totally the best ending. I don't know why it ranks under A as 'negative karma'. You'd think positive karma would mean Sewell gets his due.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

^It's about positive karma for Murphy and Anne. Anne going after Sewell proves that she hasn't gotten past revenge, and didn't learn the lesson she should have from her experience. Now, whatever the hell Murphy was talking about in that ending is anyone's guess.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Then I guess Ending A should've cut away to Sewell getting hit by a car. C'mon, SOMETHING.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Aerith Gainsborough

Perhaps it wasn't revenge that she was achieving. I was thinking more of justice. I know she pulls out her gun, but she could have just been threatening him to tell the truth. Who knows? I like the fact that she at least confronted him about it. I think that's something that seriously needed to be done, and Ending A lacked that.

Also, WeepingBat:
I seriously doubt that. Murphy has already fulfilled his reason for being there. He realizes the turmoil that comes with seeking revenge, and has been able to 'come to the light.' There is no need for him to return to Silent Hill, and the town is no longer calling him there, anyway. I don't know why he said that. Perhaps he meant that he needed to go home and rekindle things with his wife, maybe he wanted to visit Charlie's grave. Who knows?
TheWeepingBat
Just Passing Through

Post by TheWeepingBat »

Aerith Gainsborough wrote: Also, WeepingBat:
I seriously doubt that. Murphy has already fulfilled his reason for being there. He realizes the turmoil that comes with seeking revenge, and has been able to 'come to the light.' There is no need for him to return to Silent Hill, and the town is no longer calling him there, anyway. I don't know why he said that. Perhaps he meant that he needed to go home and rekindle things with his wife, maybe he wanted to visit Charlie's grave. Who knows?
Those are really good points. I didn't think about it that way. I see what you mean and I agree. I guess what threw me off was that...
The settings were different in Ending A and B. In Ending A, when Murphy and Anne appear back in the "Real World" they appear by Toluca Lake, bright sunny day. In Ending B, they appear by the bus wreck and what appears to be a rainy/foggy/overcast day. He even steps in a puddle or stream as he exits. I was also assuming in Ending B that Anne might have been the main focus/catalyst of this Silent Hill game, not Murphy. Murphy just being a pawn like DJ Ricks or Howard the Postman but having a connection to Anne's past, her Boogeyman. All that plus Ending B is a "Negative Karma" ending made me at least question it, but your explanation sounds really probable. Murphy still had a lot in the "Real World" he needed to deal with after learning the lesson he did in Silent Hill. I guess I am just confused why the developers used different settings and dialog to two endings that are so similar.
This why I love the idea of a Silent Hill forum... You can discuss a game with so many layers like Silent Hill, with some really intellectual people for a change.
Aerith Gainsborough

Ending A being sunny may symbolize that neither of them have any burdens on their heart at the moment, and they are both happy. If Ending B does show Anne seeking revenge and not justice, then maybe the gloomy appearance reflects her desire to seek revenge and how she hasn't learned the turmoil that comes along with revenge. Also, Murphy may be feeling some sadness from the lost of Charlie and his wife, and was on his way to mourn over his grave and perhaps try and fix the problems between him and his wife. Then again, that's just all guesses and speculation.
We're all happy to discuss. We're all huge fans here and love to figure things out. Aura, Ryan, and Adversary spend a lot of time doing this sort of stuff in the threads, so there's definitely many people here to help discuss theories with you.
Falconv1.0
Gravedigger

Post by Falconv1.0 »

I think ending A is supposed to be seen as more positive because Anne's probably gonna go to jail forever and ever for shooting a dude in the face in ending B.
Your weaboo is showing
Bogeyman
Just Passing Through

Post by Bogeyman »

I have to say my favorite ending is A.I think it is the best possible ending you can get in the game since everything turns out fine (Murphy is not a killer and Anne doesn't mess up her life by going after Sewell).
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

I like both B and A, but A seems a bit too happy for the rest of the game. At least in B Sewell gets justice, even though Anne kind of screws herself over in her attempt to get closure.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>In Ending A, when Murphy and Anne appear back in the "Real World" they appear by Toluca Lake, bright sunny day.<
Murph and Anne appear, from what I can tell, behind the Pendleton house, or wherever Charlie's body was found.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Augophthalmoses
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Augophthalmoses »

Seems kind of redundant using spoiler tags in a topic that has *SPOILERS* in the topic title on top of being posted in the Downpour Spoiler forum, but anyway...

My favorite is Truth and Justice because it shows a little bit more emotion and dialogue from both Murphy and Anne. The Forgiveness ending could have been fleshed out better.

Reversal was a nice return to those "WTF?" kind of endings. It also showed the consequences of Anne's thirst for revenge upon killing Murphy by putting her in his shoes and forcing her through that same journey once again.

Full Circle is basically the same thing except it's Murphy instead of Anne being put in the position of having to relive the nightmare again.

The Surprise was decent. I liked the cameos of the characters and of course PH's appearance, but it could have used more dialogue. Preferably some zany stuff. Maybe they get drunk, eat too much cake, have a food fight or something.

Execution was the weakest of the bunch. The only thing I liked about it was Murphy's final words.
Last edited by Augophthalmoses on 27 Mar 2012, edited 1 time in total.
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

^Surprise should have had a drunken sing along, and one of the villains standing outside longing for cake.
TheWeepingBat
Just Passing Through

Post by TheWeepingBat »

Augophthalmoses wrote:Seems kind of redundant using spoiler tags in a topic that has *SPOILERS* in the topic title on top of being posted in the Downpour Spoiler forum, but anyway...
Just trying to be respectful. I'm new to this forum and didn't want to spoil anything to anyone who stumble into this one by accident. I've had people get upset because there wasn't a Spoiler tag, but I've never had anyone complain to me about me actually being cautious Lol
As far as what you said about Ending D though, I strongly agree.
The Adversary wrote: Murph and Anne appear, from what I can tell, behind the Pendleton house, or wherever Charlie's body was found.

That's a good point. I just assumed it was Toluca Lake for obvious reasons. Now that you say that, it does look like the same lakeside spot from the "Chalkboard Vision" from the orphanage.

KiramidHead wrote:^Surprise should have had a drunken sing along, and one of the villains standing outside longing for cake.
LMAO Yeah, I could see Abstract Daddy outside the door crying because he wasn't invited. Would've made my day... Great avatar BTW <3
Wigeke
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Wigeke »

I like the A ending better, I just don't buy that Anne went through all that just because she was thinking of getting revenge on Murphy to disregard the whole message and get revenge anyway.
Oddish
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Oddish »

Of the four "serious" endings, I have to choose Forgiveness, too. I agree that Sewell was a scumbag and needed to be brought to justice (and the .45-caliber justice Anne was preparing to dish out suits me just fine), but I also agree that it comes at too high a cost, in Anne throwing her life away the way Murphy did his.

Given that Murphy's character and actions are retroactively determined by his in-game conduct, I would say that all of the endings make a certain amount of sense, except possibly for B (I've received varying versions of what triggers it)
A = Murphy is good, and merciful. He is declared dead, and is able to start a new life.
C = Merphy is imperfect, but redeemable. He has not realized the destructive nature of vengeance, and therefore cannot escape Silent Hill.
D = Murphy is vile and beyond redemption. No great loss to society.

Again, since I like happy endings, I choose A.

Of course, since "Surprise" resembles my own "Party" ending, I obviously hold a special place in my heart for that one as well. ;)
[url=http://www.silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=14918&start=0]See the SH2 Endings that WEREN'T chosen[/url]
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

The thing is that's not really true. Murphy is basically the same throughout the whole game, and all of the symbolism and encounters seem geared towards a single interpretation of his personality.

And, again, the fact that he can't finish off Napier in any of the endings but can just shank a completely innocent man is baffling to me. If he's going to be an imperfect person who is overall a pretty good person but does disgusting shit to get vengeance, then why not just kill Sewell? He deserves it a lot more and Coleridge would back him up, given that he was threatening both their lives.