The map

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

Shadowgate
Just Passing Through

The map

Post by Shadowgate »

I was thinking this but this guy hit the nail on the head.

http://bitmob.com/articles/a-vacation-i ... -navigator
I put this in my sig since they buried my topic. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhOryCXhu_Y
Falconv1.0
Gravedigger

Re: The map

Post by Falconv1.0 »

Yeah this is pretty much the entire reason I stopped trying to do side quests. I got completely sick of the friggin map.
Your weaboo is showing
NanayaShiki
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator

Post by NanayaShiki »

I never had any problem with the map or how it updated, and I explored the town and did side-quests for, like, an entire day. I've said elsewhere that exploring the town was my favorite part of this game.
aj4x94
Historical Society Historian

Post by aj4x94 »

NanayaShiki wrote:I never had any problem with the map or how it updated, and I explored the town and did side-quests for, like, an entire day. I've said elsewhere that exploring the town was my favorite part of this game.

The map was okay. The only thing I didn't like about it was the fact that I had to keep hitting R2, R2 every time I wanted to look at it.
You can take my heart
And hold it together as we fall apart
Maybe together we can make a mark in the stars we embark
And keep us together as the lights go dark
Yuki
Historical Society Historian

Post by Yuki »

aj4x94 wrote:
NanayaShiki wrote:I never had any problem with the map or how it updated, and I explored the town and did side-quests for, like, an entire day. I've said elsewhere that exploring the town was my favorite part of this game.

The map was okay. The only thing I didn't like about it was the fact that I had to keep hitting R2, R2 every time I wanted to look at it.
You only did if you picked up a new memo, or if you lacked the map for an area. Otherwise it'd pop up right where you left it.
Luotka Snih
Just Passing Through

Post by Luotka Snih »

What's the problem anyway?? In Shatered Memories you had to make the anotations, Harry just noted down when the world freezed. It's not like all the games have to make the protagonist write down everything, if the player feels like using it more, why dont he/she just doodle the map and write whatever he/she wants?
Nel
Just Passing Through

Post by Nel »

I didn't need the map after exploring the entire town. The one I have the most problems with and still can't figure out is the subway map by that homeless guy, Homer. The door locks and I can't figure which route goes where. I just don't use that map or shortcut.
CandyLander
Just Passing Through

Post by CandyLander »

Yes, but Murphy didn't start the map, he found it, it would actually have been weird if the map Murphy found was human-made >_<

and the subway map is supposed to look bad because the homeless guy made it
Have you seen a little girl? Short, black hair. Seven years old...
Hydra666
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Hydra666 »

I almost never used the maps in Downpour, except while walking around the town.
The main locations are too easy to get used to.
five5sixers
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by five5sixers »

The only thing I didn't like about the map was how the zoom was handled. You zoomed in and then you could only view specific sections, instead of freely looking around the whole thing, and it made examining a bit uncomfortable, clunky, and generally unpleasant for me. Aside from that, the only issue I had was text size but that's to be expected when I'm still using a tube TV with an HD system so it's not the game's fault.
Book of Memories ID: five5sixers
Yoshata
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Yoshata »

The thing that drove me nuts was that Murphy never made note on the map of whether a side quest was completed, so the map is left with question marks all over the place and I couldn't keep track of which unfinished side quests were where.

Other than that, I was fine with the map system. I don't like it nearly as much as previous games' maps, though. =\
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

The map sucks, and it's more confusing than helpful imo... and xoxsnoof, that's the same gripe i had witht he map. i hate how you zoom in on it and can only move to sections of it at a time. it would've been much easier to use if you were able to control how much to zoom in/out, and what exactly you wanted to view.

But meh, the map is just one of the many flaws in this game.
Silent_Storm
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Silent_Storm »

In my opinion this is one of the biggest flaws in the whole Silent Hill series.
I learnt the streets of the whole town and POI's off by heart because the map was so bad.
What's the big deal - Laura
Glenn
Gravedigger

Post by Glenn »

I had no problem with the map... I feel like all the Silent Hills pretty much have the same type of maps. I just wish the question marks would disappear when you finish that respective side quest (sometimes they would, sometimes they wouldn't, and sometimes it would be lagged).
Severeth
Gravedigger

Post by Severeth »

Wasn't as good as the maps in the first few games or Homecoming, but more real. I welcome it.
I have a Youtube account where I sometimes post SH related videos. www.youtube.com/user/severeth

http://www.last.fm/user/Severeth