Who's making them.

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

silenthillking
Just Passing Through

Who's making them.

Post by silenthillking »

SPOILERS (this isn`t a symbolism post but a few questions)

First of does any one no who make the creature designs in downpour also are there any cut content pages or images online.

Next all though the monsters are disappointing there movement is intresting iv`e watched a prison minion for a long time while standing still and they tug at that contraption on there head also when fighting they seem to act as if there throwing down as if to torment Murphy honestly though the design of all the monsters is bad why did`nt they make new ones from the oct-mar delay it`s more off putting that there used over and over from all the past games and all the media to work off why are the monsters so boring looking.

I honestly would love dlc for this game adding in new monsters i no it`s crazy.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Re: Who's making them.

Post by DistantJ »

I think the bipedal humanoid monsters was a 'theme' for this game, not necessarily poor design but rather that humanoid shapes are more relevant to Murphy's past and such.

I think maybe there weren't enough types of monster. I mean there are plain ol' humanoids in almost every SH game but then there are bigger, less common enemies which become more abstract. The fact that the game is essentially using the same three or four designs of monster through most of it means there's not often that moment of 'oh god not one of these!' which you get with, say, Closers, or Schisms. I suppose the dolls come closest to that.

The 'aristocrat' was supposed to be a boss originally, and he's more of an amorphous 'meat sack'. Also don't forget the void (red mist), which is probably the most abstract enemy the series has seen, being no more than a sort of sentient black hole.

If you think of the void as a monster things get more interesting, and abstract.

I think the designers should be commended for creating such new monsters, because since the series left Japan they've basically been recycling the same ideas and changing them about a little (lying figure>straight jacket>smog, pyramid head>butcher>homecoming bogeyman, closer>siam, nurse>nurse>nurse). I think also because of how common the prisoners and screamers are, we forget the great monsters like the wall-corpses and weeping bats.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

I'm actually totally fine with the new monsters; the Weeping Bats are also probably the only monsters that freaked me out with their introduction.

As for why they look humanoid, it's probably because Murphy, someone who's willing to commit murder, doesn't need to dehumanize his monsters into amorphous beasts in order to justify slaughtering them, like Heather and other protagonists did.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

AuraTwilight wrote:As for why they look humanoid, it's probably because Murphy, someone who's willing to commit murder, doesn't need to dehumanize his monsters into amorphous beasts in order to justify slaughtering them, like Heather and other protagonists did.
Fantastic reasoning! I like your thinking.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
KingCrimson
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by KingCrimson »

I can't even remember the introduction of the Weeping Bats. I remember spotting one huddled on the ceiling in the caves, and throwing rocks at it so it would drop. It never did, so I inched forward until it noticed me. Was there an earlier appearance?

I would have liked more ambiguity in the designs. The humanoid aspect doesn't bother me much, it's the way the full scope of each monster's potential is revealed within thirty seconds of encountering one. I was seriously threatened in SH2 when grounded Lying Figures started scurrying from under cars, and mannequins flung themselves into the middle of the street or fell from rooftops. It gave the impression they were adapting somehow to your presence, which is totally terrifying to me for some reason.

Downpour's enemies do the same thing whenever they pop up, and it's always a flashing neon light rather than a candle flickering in a dark room, if you know what I mean. The first screamer was scary, though, because of the inversion of what we expected it to be doing.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>Murphy, someone who's willing to commit murder<
Murphy isn't willing to murder anyone. He thinks he is, but he never actually does it.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Biccard
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Biccard »

I just watched a trailer for Downpour on Youtube, that was never meant for release. The Aristocrat is seen as a boss in the trailer. Why do you all think this was removed and he was downgraded to a single encounter? Most of the rest of the trailer is not in the final game either.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

The Adversary wrote:>Murphy, someone who's willing to commit murder<
Murphy isn't willing to murder anyone. He thinks he is, but he never actually does it.
That's only true in SOME of the routes of the game, though, due to his multiple-choice past. And even then, his inability to go through with it could be why they're still monstrous, instead of being entirely human like Eddie's manifestations.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
clips
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by clips »

All of the monsters are uninspired...especially the prisoners... waaay too humanoid in nature and mannerisms. Remember that Regenerating creature from RE4?...the way it disturbingly shambled towards you?...that is how these creatures needed to come at you in those dark tight corridors of the prison and buildings.

Seeing them act in that manner would've taken care of their weak design...those regenerators in RE4 wasn't the greatest either, but because of the way they approached you, it gave you that wtf effect from them and made them more terrifying. i was just going thru the motions fighting the actual creatures in Downpour and i was more afraid of the atmosphere itself...
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

AuraTwilight wrote:
That's only true in SOME of the routes of the game, though, due to his multiple-choice past. And even then, his inability to go through with it could be why they're still monstrous, instead of being entirely human like Eddie's manifestations.
I'd go so far as to say it's only true... in MOST routes of the game. The Execution ending (is it ending D?) only has the police say he killed Charlie--which flies in the face of the entire rest of the game--and one other ending has him kill Frank, unless I'm misremembering and it's two endings?
KingCrimson wrote:I can't even remember the introduction of the Weeping Bats. I remember spotting one huddled on the ceiling in the caves, and throwing rocks at it so it would drop. It never did, so I inched forward until it noticed me. Was there an earlier appearance?
I remember seeing a demo video where one was feasting on a Screamer before you actually meet it, but I never saw it in the finished game.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

Biccard wrote:I just watched a trailer for Downpour on Youtube, that was never meant for release. The Aristocrat is seen as a boss in the trailer. Why do you all think this was removed and he was downgraded to a single encounter? Most of the rest of the trailer is not in the final game either.
It's believed that he was removed as a boss due to development time and budget restraints. People have extracted the 3D model from the game and found that he has these large tentacle things attached to his body.
Well yeah, but he's still willing to stab and beat somebody (Napier) into a pulp and is either almost willing or regretfully willing to kill Frank depending on what ending you get.
Biccard
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Biccard »

DistantJ wrote:I just watched a trailer for Downpour on Youtube, that was never meant for release. The Aristocrat is seen as a boss in the trailer. Why do you all think this was removed and he was downgraded to a single encounter? Most of the rest of the trailer is not in the final game either.
It's believed that he was removed as a boss due to development time and budget restraints. People have extracted the 3D model from the game and found that he has these large tentacle things attached to his body.
I don't understand. Would it cost them more money to make him a boss in the game? And time? They evidently already made him.
sgillespie31
Just Passing Through

Post by sgillespie31 »

I believe Jp was also designed to have a boss form, though I may have seen an image of the artistocrat falsely labelled as "JP boss form."

Overall, the monster designs were very disappointing to me and were what kept the game e tier lower than the first three. I understood their humanoid bodytypes were related to Murphy's past and personality, but I still felt the designs were just not abstract or creative enough, or we weren't given enough opportunity to notice what WAS creative about them. Other games have done the "humanoid" style far better, such as the Insane Cancers in Silent Hill 3. The Dolls and Weeping Bats were intimidating for all the right reasons, however. I just felt that the brawlers, stabbers, and juggernauts were too similar. One of the three would have been suitable to make room for some other more original creatures.
Glenn
Gravedigger

Post by Glenn »

DistantJ wrote:
Biccard wrote:I just watched a trailer for Downpour on Youtube, that was never meant for release. The Aristocrat is seen as a boss in the trailer. Why do you all think this was removed and he was downgraded to a single encounter? Most of the rest of the trailer is not in the final game either.
Well yeah, but he's still willing to stab and beat somebody (Napier) into a pulp and is either almost willing or regretfully willing to kill Frank depending on what ending you get.
Could you post the youtube vid of this? I did a search and haven't found it. Is the aristocrat the giant face at the end of the mine ride?
SilentRobert23
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by SilentRobert23 »

Yes, that's the Aristocrat.