Humorous/Funny Parts

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

taketheworlddown
Just Passing Through

Humorous/Funny Parts

Post by taketheworlddown »

I hope this thread isn't seen as "spam", mods - this is in no way, shape or form intended to be so.

There have always been funny scenes/quotes in the Silent Hill games, as dark and morbid as they may be. I'd like to list a few of the amusing things that some of the characters say or do within Downpour.

So here we go...

Murphy's bloodcurdling, never-ending scream when you fall off a balance beam.

Before you enter the Gillespie mines, you enter a particular room and pick a key off a rack. Murphy mumbles to himself "ah here we go, here we go... key rack!" This made me laugh as the Evil Dead quote came to mind when Ash runs into the shed and says, quite simply "huh... chainsaw". Or, for that matter, the famous "huh. radio..." by Harry Mason.

Considering the phantom police cars were, I assumed, just that, I had to snigger when it hit Murphy full on and he hit the ground like a sack of shit.

There's a particular scene in the prison level at the end of the game where a monster chases you and you dodge an electric wire swinging to and fro. The monster, in all its intelligence, decides to grab it and ends up flying dramatically over the side of the walkway, never to be seen again.

You pass a monster in the Gillespie mines and, like a wuss, Murphy's reaction is as follows "get away from me!" It just sounds so childish :-D

Any others, guys?

TTWD
KiramidHead
Historical Society Historian

Re: Humorous/Funny Parts

Post by KiramidHead »

I love his reaction to Ricks being all mysterious. "Cut the bullshit!"
Overlooked Motel
Just Passing Through

Post by Overlooked Motel »

Agreed on the screams - I love Murph and think his VA did a great job overall, but the screaming was hilarious!

Another moment that I probably wasn't supposed to find funny was after the scene between Murphy and Anne just before leaving the Devil's Pit area. Anne is sitting on the floor despondently and if you go back and try to speak to her she comes out with a few generic "Leave me alone" lines. If you pester her too many times (like I did) she eventually just bluntly snaps "Fuck off!". I laughed because I wasn't expecting it and it was exactly how I could see myself reacting if someone were annoying me like that.

The first time a Prisoner Juggernaut clotheslined Murphy to the ground, I completely lost it.

There's another one but the scene is a major spoiler so I'll put it behind a cut:
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
It's right after the flashback of the cops pulling Charlie's body out of the lake, where Murphy does his Darth Vader-esque scream to the heavens. Now, I didn't laugh at that part because, come on, that scene was heartbreaking, but immediately afterwards it cuts to an extreme closeup of the little girl screaming, and her character model is...how can I put it...not quite so polished as the others. The scene preceding it (and everything about St Maria's, really) emotionally drained me, but that one moment was really jarring and unintentionally humourous to me.
Revenge is a long, treacherous road, isn't it Mr Pendleton? Where do you suppose it ends?
fudgestix

Post by fudgestix »

Overlooked Motel wrote: There's another one but the scene is a major spoiler so I'll put it behind a cut:
It's right after the flashback of the cops pulling Charlie's body out of the lake, where Murphy does his Darth Vader-esque scream to the heavens. Now, I didn't laugh at that part because, come on, that scene was heartbreaking, but immediately afterwards it cuts to an extreme closeup of the little girl screaming, and her character model is...how can I put it...not quite so polished as the others. The scene preceding it (and everything about St Maria's, really) emotionally drained me, but that one moment was really jarring and unintentionally humourous to me.
Oh good, it wasn't just me that laughed at that point. I felt a little rotten for doing so, but it just caught me so off guard I couldn't help it!

Thats the only part that springs to mind where I laughed. Most of the time I was laughing at my own derping.
THE RULES! [click me and learn]
"I think I'd prefer a sword over a penis anyday." - Wigeke
Mxpn - Restless Night (bandcamp)
aj4x94

Post by aj4x94 »

Slight spoilers
I laughed my ass off at the end of the Clock Tower scene where Murphy slides off the waterfall onto the face, since his character model suddenly becomes incredibly stiff when he grabs the hand. His screaming did not help at all. :lol:
You can take my heart
And hold it together as we fall apart
Maybe together we can make a mark in the stars we embark
And keep us together as the lights go dark
Kawwah85
Just Passing Through

Post by Kawwah85 »

One of my favorite funny scenes is a gameplay one. Try throwing a fire extinguisher at a Screamer, while she is preparing for a scream. lol that looks so funny. :P
taketheworlddown
Just Passing Through

Post by taketheworlddown »

Another one is Murphy's reaction when he first meets Howard, he's like really defensive and acts quite scared considering he's a convict... "hey, look, I don't want any trouble..."

He's a postman, not a parole officer, don't worry Murphy!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can't forget the general personalities of certain characters - like Sewell and his "cupcake" phrase and of course the crazy Mexican guy "eyyyy tell me cheeco, is it true what you did?"
Overlooked Motel
Just Passing Through

Kawwah85 wrote:One of my favorite funny scenes is a gameplay one. Try throwing a fire extinguisher at a Screamer, while she is preparing for a scream. lol that looks so funny. :P
Oh God, this!! I was trying for the no-kills achievement but this one Screamer would not leave me the fuck alone. I'd already knocked her down a few times but she just kept getting back up. I finally thought I'd lost her for a moment, then heard her heels clattering towards me yet again, thought "Screw this", and threw my current weapon, a huge pickaxe, at her head.

*THUNK*

From then on, I tried to throw at least one weapon at each monster I came across, because I'm 12.
Revenge is a long, treacherous road, isn't it Mr Pendleton? Where do you suppose it ends?
Aerith Gainsborough

Post by Aerith Gainsborough »

^Twelve...as in age?

I thought it was funny any time a monster had a restraint on Murphy. His facial expressions were funny, his mouth just hanging open while he squirmed. It reminded me of "The Scream."
I'm rarely on the forums anymore. Click here for ways to reach me.
Overlooked Motel
Just Passing Through

^God no, I'm 27. But I have a 12 year-old's sense of humour sometimes, to my detriment :mrgreen:

Another humourous thing I've just discovered - press the 'look behind' button when being chased by the Void at low health. Maybe it's just me.
wonder's boy
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by wonder's boy »

aj4x94 wrote:Slight spoilers
I laughed my ass off at the end of the Clock Tower scene where Murphy slides off the waterfall onto the face, since his character model suddenly becomes incredibly stiff when he grabs the hand. His screaming did not help at all. :lol:
All I could think was...HUGO!!! DON'T LET GO!!! :P
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

wonder's boy wrote:
aj4x94 wrote:Slight spoilers
All I could think was...HUGO!!! DON'T LET GO!!! :P
After a few playthroughs I figured out what that scene reminds me of: Shanghai Knights. Seriously, they both feature blond characters hanging off a clock face while their lives flash before their lives. :lol:
Lahkesis
Just Passing Through

Post by Lahkesis »

Murphy's screams are simply hilarious. I laughed every time. That and his childish "Get away from me!" XD
Overlooked Motel wrote:
And this too.
Murphy's expression when he yelled actually almost got me (don't get me wrong, the scene was sad, but his face just looked awkward), but then when they showed the girl screaming, I lost it.
RinoTheBouncer
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by RinoTheBouncer »

LOL!

Those moments y'all mentioned made me laugh (Including the one after the lake flashback and the little girl screams) lol.

I also love it when Sewell calls Murphy, cupcake ;P
Twitter: @RinoTheBouncer | www.rinothebouncer.com | Instagram: @RinoTheBouncer
Monster
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Monster »

The part where a prisoner monster appears with two others on dog leashes seemed like a pretty 'jumping the shark' moment for silent hill to me.
"Star Wars is like the thing that isn't remotely cool anymore but that nobody will stop talking about of my generation" -Me.
Number 7
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Number 7 »

^For me that was the only time the prisoners were even remotely creepy.
"He's underground now. His new name is Number Seven."
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

Number 7 wrote:^For me that was the only time the prisoners were even remotely creepy.
I second this, although I completely see what Monster's saying.
Yoshata
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Yoshata »

Last edited by Yoshata on 14 Nov 2017, edited 1 time in total.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

Yoshata wrote:There was a Weeping Bat that was standing a few yards from Murphy, and wouldn't come closer. I took a couple of rocks and threw them at it, and it still didn't move. I ended up running away unscathed. That was quite amusing. :P
My favourite is when the Weeping Bats back up and walk away; they look like they're dancing.
AyaKara
Just Passing Through

Post by AyaKara »

Me and my sister looked at each other when Murphy was like NOOO when he found Charlie's body and his face was all like :[]. Like Lakhesis said, child-Anne appearing right after was not helpful in keeping the scene serious.

Also, whenever Murphy fell off of a balance beam.