Gramophone and rocking chair symbolism

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

Kawwah85
Just Passing Through

Gramophone and rocking chair symbolism

Post by Kawwah85 »

Ive been doing some thinking, about the symbolism of the gramophone and the rocking chair. I think they are presented in a way that they have to mean something. Im not sure what it is though.

Until I heard the song that the gramophone most often plays.

Andy Williams - Born Free
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32w5iVYjxB0
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
My own conclusion is that it could symbolise the life Murphey could have had if he hadn't been convicted. Growing old in peace and as a free man. Maybe it even try to tell the player that Murphey actually is innocent. Since its Silent Hill, it can go waaay deeper than that.
Have you guys noticed a possible symbolism in that scenery? And if so, please share. :)
taketheworlddown
Just Passing Through

Re: Gramophone and rocking chair symbolism

Post by taketheworlddown »

Very nice theory, wouldn't have thought of that myself.

The only other thing I think of at the moment is this -
It symbolizes Frank's restraint to his wheelchair after Sewell injured him beyond repair. Forever rocking back and forth, doomed to be a vegetable for the rest of his life. If you think about it, there's a lot of bloody chairs in that game! The wheelchair on top of the roof, the two "skid marks" of the wheelchair that you follow, the one stuck in the lift, and even using chairs as a weapon!
Of course, as you know, I'm sure... the Born Free song comes from the scene where Sewell walks off in a flashback away from Murphy's cell and starts singing it to himself.
"Born Free" could also be a taunt against Murphy - since he isn't really free from his cell throughout the game (he's still a prisoner) and he isn't free of his guilt.
Very interesting view on symbolism, though :-) Nice one! Then, of course, there's the toilet flushing, which I always saw as -
Murphy flushing away his past/guilt/the shit that wont free his mind.
TTWD
Aerith Gainsborough
Historical Society Historian

Post by Aerith Gainsborough »

You see the chair rocking back and forth often throughout the game. I simply think it means confinement, whether it be confinement to a wheelchair, behind a prison cell, to your own past, or all of the above. That could serve for both Murphy and Anne, in that case.
I'm rarely on the forums anymore. Click here for ways to reach me.
therednurse
Just Passing Through

Post by therednurse »

I get really uneasy around the rocking chairs that are moving in this game, because it makes me think of a moment in the original Alone In The Dark where you walk into a room with a chair where a ghost is sitting...except you don't know he's there unless you get close to him and he kills you instantly.
I've been wondering what they're supposed to mean, and the confinement thing definitely makes sense. It's like, even when body isn't here anymore, they're still stuck in this chair.

Also it makes me think of a mother rocking a child to sleep. Perhaps Murphy is confronted with the image of an empty rocking chair because of the loss of his wife and child. Actually, the only time I remember seeing one of those chairs that wasn't rocking was in the orphanage...children without mothers. Or rather, "mothers" that were not very nice to them according to the notes/voiceovers we find.
Just an idea.
Thommy Razor
Just Passing Through

Post by Thommy Razor »

I caught a mocking tone of Born Free, with the lines: "... and life is worth living, but ONLY worth living because you're born free." Several points of the game make me feel the town has a sarcastic, playful way of tormenting Murphy.
Huh. Radio. Whats going on with that radio?
Yoshata
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Yoshata »