Homecoming vs Downpour

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

Mephisto
Historical Society Historian

Re: Homecoming vs Downpour

Post by Mephisto »

Plenty of fans would dislike that, since a huge criticism of Homecoming was it's uninspired and derivative monster design.
What is this? I don't even...
Silent Fantasy

Post by Silent Fantasy »

^ That actually was kinda a problem , just not as universal as Downpour's.
WARNING: Some Parts of Reality May Seem Violent or Cruel.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Yea, no lie, I've seen a lot of complaints about how Homecoming's monsters are ripoffs of SH2/SH3 monsters or are generally uninspired.

Plus lol killing human cultists.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Glenn
Gravedigger

Post by Glenn »

AuraTwilight wrote:Yea, no lie, I've seen a lot of complaints about how Homecoming's monsters are ripoffs of SH2/SH3 monsters or are generally uninspired.

Plus lol killing human cultists.
Human enemies were unique, and had a lot to do with the game.

And Homecoming's monsters may be considered uninspired compared to 2 and 3, but the majority feel they were more thought-out than Downpour's.
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

And Homecoming's monsters may be considered uninspired compared to 2 and 3, but the majority feel they were more thought-out than Downpour's.
Don't forget Shattered Memories and The Room. The monster design for these games was also weak.

Homecoming's Schism and Siam had the best designs. The others were just plain stupid, like the Smog...
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Human enemies were unique, and had a lot to do with the game.
I was grouping the human enemies in the "uninspired" part, since human enemies is really lame and inappropriate and they're stolen from the movie anyway.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Glenn
Gravedigger

Post by Glenn »

I can see how you felt they were lame, but they were inspired in a sense if you look at it from the angle of how the other Silent Hill games didn't use them. And yeah, they did borrow a lot from the movie.
Silent Fantasy

Post by Silent Fantasy »

Because the other game had the common sense not to use human enimies besies Eddie and Walter. Walter was even supernatural atleast, but still kinda lame.
WARNING: Some Parts of Reality May Seem Violent or Cruel.
Kenji

Post by Kenji »

I think I'd rate Downpour higher than Homecoming. I had a much more interesting time wandering around its town.

On the other hand, I have yet to be bothered to finish Downpour. I just stopped somewhere, which reminds me more of Origins (which I rate at the bottom). So, really, where I rate Downpour once a few years have passed is really up for grabs.
raptor112
Just Passing Through

Post by raptor112 »

Hands down for me its downpour, everything in it feels most like silent hill to me. I agree that the monsters aren't as inspired as past games (though I do like the weeping bats & Dolls) and Homecoming did do MOST monsters better. While I do like Homecoming (about 10x better then Silent hill 4), downpour is the superior game
warfare315
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by warfare315 »

Kenji wrote:I think I'd rate Downpour higher than Homecoming. I had a much more interesting time wandering around its town.

On the other hand, I have yet to be bothered to finish Downpour. I just stopped somewhere, which reminds me more of Origins (which I rate at the bottom). So, really, where I rate Downpour once a few years have passed is really up for grabs.
Hey, I think it's worth it to truck through the rest of the game. It actually comes together quite nicely.
Another frequency perpetuated into context, trapped in the eternal paradox.
vaporeyesofficial.bandcamp.com
Facebook.com/vaporeyesofficial
clips
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by clips »

Downpour's walking animations are better than Homecoming's as well...Murphy loosk and walks alot smoother than Alex...and with Alex, you have to slightly push the knob up to walk and all the way to run...and both animations aren't that great...kinda nit-picking, but Downpour is alot smoother in that regard.

Not sure if i mentioned it or not, but Downpour lost a few points for being kinda open-ended...because you can find clues to certain mysteries between two the maps of SH, you kinda become disconnected with the main story, and with the respawning of the monsters it becomes a bit redundant.

The side-quests needed to be a bit more streamlined and contained and not going from one end of the map to solve a side-quest, to the other end of the map...again Homecoming had the better monster design and the atmosphere had it's moments, but i think Downpour is still the better overall game...Homecoming isn't a bad game by any means tho...
biggamer220
Just Passing Through

Post by biggamer220 »

I preferred downpour because of the emphasis on exploring the town i liked homecoming but not the combat it sort of took the feeling of being vulnerable away for me.
Dr-G0nz0
Just Passing Through

Post by Dr-G0nz0 »

I agree with fudgestix.

I didn't hate Homecoming, but it strayed too far away from the franchise. And as fudgestix said, the combat system in Homecoming was terrible.
Not only that, but Homecoming used alot of the ideas the movie had. And while I found the film to be a respectible adaptation of the games, I didn't like the way Homecoming tried to be like the film, rather than being an attempt at the games themselves.
I did enjoy the story, but it was far too clear cut for my taste.

Downpour on the other hand, was a great game that I thought put a glimour of hope in putting the series back-to-form.
It used its own monsters --no pyrimid head or nurses. YAY!-- it got the atmosphere almost perfectly like the original 4 games.
The story was really good, with plenty of twists and turns. And the freeroaming was a really worry for me, but it actually worked out to be a brilliant addition to the gameplay, and moving the series forward.

I felt Downpours only short coming was the technical side; If this game had come out 100% finished with no frame-rate issues or glitches, I'd have said this was up there with the Team Silent games. I bloody loved it.
"Oh, you think darkness is your ally. You merely adopted the dark; I was born in it, moulded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but BLINDING! " -Bane
Kompwars
Just Passing Through

Post by Kompwars »

To me they're both equal. I like them both.

Homecoming had its flaws, but at least it had good bosses. Downpour only had 3 bosses, and they all sucked hard. Boogeyman was pathetic, Wheelman was boring, and Anne was too easy as well. If downpour had more bosses(and good ones) it would of been much better. I still liked downpour though.
wonder's boy
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by wonder's boy »

Anne is by far the best human boss in the Silent Hill universe. At least to me. What to compare her to....Eddy, and...?
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by thy_butcher »

Walter maybe? & Cybil.
Possibly Memory of Alessa... I don't know if she counts...
Oh, and Homecoming had Curtis as well
EmilietheStrange
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by EmilietheStrange »

I don't consider Anne a boss, all you have to do is catch her. I thought of it more as you (as Bogeyman Murphy) being the boss, and Anne must try and defeat you.
JuriDawn
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by JuriDawn »

^Agreed. It was totally unexpected, and I loved that.
warfare315
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by warfare315 »

I surprisingly really liked the end part with the Bogeyman and Anne. My main problem, as I've stated before, is the design of the bogeyman. ESPECIALLY after seeing other designs for it the developers were toying around with, EVERY other design was so cool. Bleh. For me, a blemish on an otherwise surprisingly great game. (That and the prison monsters. Oh well!)
Another frequency perpetuated into context, trapped in the eternal paradox.
vaporeyesofficial.bandcamp.com
Facebook.com/vaporeyesofficial