I think it would have been great if...

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

Esperandote
Just Passing Through

I think it would have been great if...

Post by Esperandote »

The bogeyman turned out to be Murphy's son.

I thought that was going to be a twist when I was at the orphanage part and the nun uncovered the body of the Boogeyman saying it was his son and he was denying it. I was expecting that Charlie had grown up and become a serial killer and Murphy was denying it and saying that his son had died a long time ago.
SAIRENT HIRU no uta minna de utaou!
thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Re: I think it would have been great if...

Post by thy_butcher »

That is interesting actually... :)
But I don't know if it would've fit in with the rest of Downpour's narrative.
Esperandote
Just Passing Through

Post by Esperandote »

No, it wouldn't. Although there's many parts that would fit this idea perfectly. For example, the boss fight that follows directly after the orphanage would have been symbolic of Murphy coming to terms with his son being a serial killer.

Next time you play through the game, keep this in mind and you'll see a lot of instances where this totally would have worked. Oh well, I think I'll use it for my own story, then. :)
Vixx
Founder & Administrator
Founder & Administrator

Post by Vixx »

Esperandote wrote:The bogeyman turned out to be Murphy's son.

I thought that was going to be a twist when I was at the orphanage part and the nun uncovered the body of the Boogeyman saying it was his son and he was denying it. I was expecting that Charlie had grown up and become a serial killer and Murphy was denying it and saying that his son had died a long time ago.
I thought the same, too!
V xx

© 2003-2024 Vixx. The contents of this post may only be used within the boundaries of silenthillforum.com. Any usage outside of the aforementioned forum is strictly prohibited. No, I can't believe this place is still up and running, either.
Catch22
Subway Guard

Post by Catch22 »

I would really dig that twist, although would Murphy be old enough for his son to have become a (presumably adult) serial killer? His son would have to be at least 18 for it to be realistic, since most serial killers start killing at age 28 according to this random, incredibly plain website. How old is Murphy, anyway? About 30?
Esperandote
Just Passing Through

Post by Esperandote »

Yeah, Murphy's age would have been an issue if that was the twist. I think he's probably in his mid-30s.
thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by thy_butcher »

^ Well, that does kind of stick a fork in it...
Murphy looks 30-35 to me.
fudgestix

Post by fudgestix »

I thought this too at that point, only I wasn't thinking that Charlie had grown up to be a serial killer, but that he had kid while he was a child, and Murphy couldn't come to terms that he had 'created' a monster.

I think it would have been a nice twist.
THE RULES! [click me and learn]
"I think I'd prefer a sword over a penis anyday." - Wigeke
Mxpn - Restless Night (bandcamp)
Catch22
Subway Guard

Post by Catch22 »

fudgestix wrote:I wasn't thinking that Charlie had grown up to be a serial killer, but that he had kid while he was a child, and Murphy couldn't come to terms that he had 'created' a monster.
Sorry, could you elaborate on that? I don't think I understand--my brain hasn't been working very well since summer semester started, so I'm derping out and don't quite understand.
fudgestix

Post by fudgestix »

Sure, I don't think I worded it very well anyway.

What I meant was, that Charlie hadn't grown up to become a serial killer, but killed while he was the age we see him in the game. I can't think of any actual child serial killers, cases like James Bulger spring to mind. I'd imagine being a parent, knowing your child was capable of that, must be a terrible mental struggle.
Catch22
Subway Guard

Post by Catch22 »

Ohhhhhhh. Right on. I actually like that a lot. It would certainly subvert the all too common "child as victim" trope present in recent SH titles.

The story you linked was pretty horrifying. Another example would be the Sasebo slashing.
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

Frankly, I think this would've been a terrible twist, because if Murphy was that out of touch with reality, he wouldn't of been put in PRISON, he'd of been put in an ASYLUM.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
fudgestix

Post by fudgestix »

AuraTwilight wrote:Frankly, I think this would've been a terrible twist, because if Murphy was that out of touch with reality, he wouldn't of been put in PRISON, he'd of been put in an ASYLUM.
I see your point. In the context of this Downpour, it probably wouldn't have worked well (although I suppose they could have made it so Murphy took the blame for his sons crimes?). If it had been thought of, and done right, I really do think it would have made an interesting idea.
Esperandote
Just Passing Through

Post by Esperandote »

AuraTwilight wrote:Frankly, I think this would've been a terrible twist, because if Murphy was that out of touch with reality, he wouldn't of been put in PRISON, he'd of been put in an ASYLUM.
Well since it really wasn't the twist, a lot of things don't work well with it. But I'm sure if that was the twist they had gone with, they might not have made it prison he was sent to.

The Napier intro wouldn't have happened, most likely, among other things.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Yea, but that would change the whole premise of the game so much that it wouldn't even of been Downpour. "You play a convict" was literally the first detail we learned about the game.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Oddish
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Oddish »

I think it would have been a nasty twist as well, but worthy of Silent Hill. Especially if Murphy, realizing that his son was a monster and had to be stopped, had killed him himself. I saw a TV episode about that once, the dad gave his son a hug, and then there was a gunshot, and the kid died in his arms. He had it coming, but still, what a thing to have to do.

I'm glad it didn't happen, though. I kind of liked Murphy.
[url=http://www.silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=14918&start=0]See the SH2 Endings that WEREN'T chosen[/url]
Esperandote
Just Passing Through

Post by Esperandote »

^ See that would have worked with his being a convict, still.
The SH Champion
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by The SH Champion »

Downpour would have been good if.... it was an actual Silent Hill game.
"The Fear of Blood tends to create fear for the flesh."
-Silent Hill
CandyLander
Just Passing Through

Post by CandyLander »

It could have been like this. Murphy's son kills another kid. Murphy finds out about it when the police comes to his house. Murphy takes his son and tries to escape the police, with his car.

Car crashes and murphy's son dies. Murphy wakes up in silent hill (the car crashed nearby silent hill, and murphy walked away from the car). Murphy knows his son died in the car crash but he repressed the memory (like james). Murphy thinks someone killed his son. Both murphy and his son are assassins (because murphy feels guilty over his son's death)

what a hell of a twist that would have been
Have you seen a little girl? Short, black hair. Seven years old...
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Downpour would have been good if.... it was an actual Silent Hill game.
Mind elaborating?