Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 13 Dec 2019

Just Passing Through
 Post subject: Can you get permanently stuck?

Missing since: 09 Sep 2009
Notes left: 17
Last seen at: Friggin' Utah...
I'm stuck right now and think I might have glitched the game. Curious if anybody's experienced this or if I'm just missing something somehow (or if I just suck at searching the internet to see if other people have encountered this...). I'm planning to replay from my earliest save, but won't have time for at least a week or two and want to satisfy my curiosity about this...

I'm in the centennial building. When first going up the ladder from the first to second floor, and coming across the door with the three combination dials, I managed to accidentally guess the code *before* getting the slides which reveal the code. I had a thought, which was wrong, and just decided to move the dials a couple times before moving on and low and behold it opened.

I got the keycard that allows you to get to floor 18 at this point, then proceeded to explore floors 1-3 of the centennial building, moving the wheel chair, getting access to the elevator, and putting that keycard in, all, still, before acquiring the slides. The elevator doesn't allow you to get to floor 18, even with the keycard at this point. I've since gotten the slides, and realized that was the solution to the puzzle I accidentally solved, and still can't get to floor 18.

So I'm thinking that if you open the door, see the cutscene, get the keycard, and insert the keycard in the elevator prior to acquiring the slides, whatever bit needs to be flipped to let you access floor 18 doesn't get flipped.

Is this a known glitch? Or is there something I'm missing (despite having looked through a walkthrough and feeling pretty certain I've completed every step, even if out-of-order)?

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject: Re: Can you get permanently stuck?

Missing since: 22 Aug 2009
Notes left: 273
Last seen at: Iraq
I don't think it's a well known glitch cause on my second play through, I just used the codes I know without having to do all this.

Historical Society Historian

Missing since: 05 Jul 2010
Notes left: 3339
Last seen at: Kentucky
Same as Rino. During every playthrough after second or third I never went looking for the items, but punched in the code. Perhaps you messed up on the code or something?

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 11 Nov 2009
Notes left: 140
Last seen at: Romania
Aren't there TWO keycards?

Historical Society Historian

Missing since: 05 Jul 2010
Notes left: 3339
Last seen at: Kentucky
^I only remember (from my recent playthrough) getting one key-card and using the code for the safe. I only used the key-card for the elevator, which I think might be the one you find on the dead body in the safe. Again, totally may be remembering things weird.

Just Passing Through

Although I was only referring to the one to the elevator, I believe I've gotten a total of three keycards in the building at this point. One to the security room that opens the gate in the parking garage, the one to the elevator, and one to a room on the third or second floor (can't remember which offhand) of the building.

I really don't think there's anything else for me to do, but at the same time, if I've triggered a bug (whether or not it involves the order of events mentioned), it sounds like it's not one as clean cut as I'd hoped. :-/

Thanks.

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 15 Nov 2011
Notes left: 142
In my 4th playtrough, i saw the code on the internet, and then i opened that door (the one you get the code with the slides) before everything, and it didn't glitch for me >_<

Just Passing Through

I've had a chance to play a bit again and since you guys have mentioned opening the door without having gotten the slides, I loaded a save from right before the elevator rather than starting over from before the door and was able to go to floor 18 straight away. So I'm absolutely confident it was glitching.

Nobody seems to mention getting and using the slides *after* the door code and inserting the keycard, and while I didn't try to recreate the same steps for the sake of science after being able to progress (playing with a friend, and didn't want to subject him to my ocd... and autosaving + save slot limit makes us both a little anxious to experiment with glitched saves), I'm guessing that's the event that glitches it. Otherwise, it has to be some freak thing that will never happen again. :-/

Current theory:
Get elevator keycard -> get to elevator -> insert keycard -> floor 18
Get to elevator -> get/use slides -> get keycard -> insert keycard -> floor 18
Get elevator keycard -> get to elevator -> insert keycard -> get/use slides -> eternally broken floor 18 button